It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Govt Advice For Preventing More North Carolina Shark Attacks.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Waist deep is to deep , only way not to get bitten is stay out of the ocean .

Not during a Sharknado.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why are N.C. officials now advising beachgoers to stay in "shallow water"? Is waist-deep not shallow enough?

Seriously true.

Those attacks were actually attacks #2 and #3.
There had been an attack two days before those two took place.
ABC News - beach open after 3 shark attacks

Instead of telling people to be in waist deep water ... which is the same depth that the attacks happened in ... they should have CLOSED THE BEACH for a few days until the shark swam off, and posted many, many warning signs.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Instead of telling people to be in waist deep water ... which is the same depth that the attacks happened in ... they should have CLOSED THE BEACH for a few days until the shark swam off, and posted many, many warning signs.

At this very moment there is an animal rights group preparing a statement against you for denying sharks a properly balanced diet.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hey we eat them so why they can not eat us in return.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Hey we eat them so why they can not eat us in return.

Exactly Marg! Wait until you see the cute pork chop bikini I bought you.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The shark was probably long gone already when the news crews arrived and it's not even sure it was the same shark, since sharks are active hunters and don't tend to "wait around" for pray to show up, unless it's a good "hunting ground", in which case there probably would have been more attacks (at least that's what I heard).

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Ok will do. NOT. 58 years living on the coast and swimming in the Atlantic and I even swam on oak island NC where this happened. (My sister lives on the island) and I've never encountered a shark. Attacks are rather rare as a matter of fact. I'm going to the beach today. It's already over 80°and it's early.
The water is already warmed up enough for swimming I've been twice already last week.

No one needs to stay out of the water.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Why are N.C. officials now advising beachgoers to stay in "shallow water"? Is waist-deep not shallow enough?

Seriously true.

Those attacks were actually attacks #2 and #3.
There had been an attack two days before those two took place.
ABC News - beach open after 3 shark attacks

I'm siding with the mayor on this one sheriff Brody.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyRock
Don't remember the program's name or what type of shark, but I think it was somewhere around South Africa where those sharks had developed a hunting technique in which they pretty much was beaching themselves, like dolphins and killer whales sometimes do...................
And as far as the advice go..... what to expect from officials?

Do you mean the video on here from Discovery's "North America" show? That shows dolphins doing that.

Of course, this, from Discovery as well, shows sharks in what seems like shin-deep water going on a feeding frenzy.
edit on 16-6-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It shows the same techniques, but not the scenes I remember (Thank's for sharing tho').
I do believe that the dolphins scenes I saw also was shot in the waters around Africa.

Again, Thanks for sharing, it's always fun to watch...................

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

You know I was once "bumped" by a 7 foot sand or leopard shark in water that shallow and that close to shore.

Two summers ago in August my friend and I decided to go to Santa Monica beach, near the Annenberg beach club. We were in calm waist deep water in between "sets" (surfers will know what that term means) watching the sunset.

After the sun set we still stayed in the twillite splashing around in the water. It was just so warm we didn't want to leave. It's about 8:00pm by that time and it was just becoming nightfall and dark.

So I'm standing in the water about 6 feet away from my buddy talking when i see him fall backwards and i feel him kick my leg underwater. (Turns out it was my mistaken impression that it was him kicking me underwater) A split second later I feel something about as big around as a telephone pole and slick and leathery go right between my legs. (It made contact from my knee on the inside of many legs to my ankle bone.

Next thing after that, whatever is going in between my legs is knocking me off my feet (both of them) and I'm falling backwards into the water. Then a sharp slap on the side of my calf (hard enough to leave a small bruise and sting after)

i pop up out of the water, me and my friend look at beach other and then we literally Sprint back to shore literally running through waist deep water. I remember the comical panic look on our faces as we did so, our heads craned backwards trying to look behind us as we ran. We were looking to make sure whatever this thing was wasn't circling back for us.

Once we got back to shore we figured out what had happened. A leopard shark about 250lbs and 7ish feet long was cruising the surf line right after dusk looking for a meal starting its nightly hunt. Visibility was poor and it ran right into my buddy first. Startled it lurched forward to break contact knocking my 200lbd + friend off his feet. In process it ran right into me a half second later going right in between my legs and lifting me up off the ground and dumping me over too. im also 200lb+. The fish was long enough and strong enough to be in contact with both me and my friend at the same time and knock us both off our feet nearly simultaniously.

We figure the poor animal was as startled about the chance encounter as we were. The thing that haunts me slightly as i look back on it was that it went right between my legs and all sharks swim with their mouths open, putting its chompers a few inches away from well...

The lesson we both learned and adhere to is don't hang out in the surf line after dark. Big sharks are everywhere including waist deep water.

We got lucky that it wasnt something a little more dangerous like a baby white shark or juvenile mako or thresher. All of which ive seen in those same waters anouther 75 yards further out. Especially for me. Those types of shgarks have erect stiff dorsal fins and that could have been the cherry in top if that whacked something as it panicked and dashed in between my legs.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me... I was at the Southport beach last Friday and it smelled of dead fish while the water looked terribly polluted.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
There are people fishing off a pier. Any wonder sharks might be around given the bait.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mandroid7
I have seen them four feet from shore in Tampa following dogs around at the dog beach.

And I think I read that most attacks happen in 3-4 ft depths.

I do a bit of spear fishing and have noticed they generally wont bother you if they can see you well.

If you are not small enough to be swallowed by them, they don't have much interest in you.

Most of these attacks happen in murky, silty water. They catch a flash of a persons hand or the whites of the bottom of the feet and mistake them for fish.

Although they don't scare me in a diving situation, the thought of being adrift in the ocean at night, waiting to be eaten is absolutely the things nightmares are made of.

I have also read that if they are around you, make yourself look stretched out and bigger vs. tucking in your arms and balling up, which is the more natural thing to do.

There's a good reason you hear of surfers and beach-goers being attacked... not SCUBA divers.

If you look like an easy meal or typical shark food, expect to be treated as such.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I have gone to different North Carolina Beaches all my life and I have seen maybe one shark (of any size and not on a fishing line). Dolphins are much more common. I've had some of those swim in and around me, about 6ft away.. They seemed safe enough so I stayed in. They would also follow me down the beach as I walked.

Sharks are not such a big danger, until they bite you, lol.. I've never seen it. But the times I heard about it around here it was in fact in shallow water. You see a shark just get out.. The Rough surf that is often there most days where I have been in North Carolina (outerbanks, emerald isle mostly), makes visibility in the water terrible.. If it's not super sunny out, I don't even know how a shark would see more than the edge of a leg or foot...

The fishing is awesome there on a good number of days, so it only makes sense sharkies would be in the shallow water to get all those fishies. Sometimes a wave you try to ride is a wall of fish lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I hear that Johnny Carson had a dark sadistic side. Perhaps he meant it? I don't think that advice/joke would be politically correct in this day and age however...particularly after real attacks have occurred.

What IS a politically correct joke? Don't jokes make fun of and poke jabs at typically un-political correct and sensitive issues? And wasn't Johnny Carson popular because he wasn't politically correct? I'd think a politically correct comedian would have a poor and short career.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I hear that Johnny Carson had a dark sadistic side. Perhaps he meant it? I don't think that advice/joke would be politically correct in this day and age however...particularly after real attacks have occurred.

This post sums up why politically correct progressive ideals are rotting the core of the country. Geez it was a joke and a funny one at that.............

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for voicing your opinion. I started this thread wondering if the Government was giving good advice, but I see the only way to truly avoid being attacked by a shark is to not go swimming in waters where sharks reside.

Personally, I'm scared to death of Jellyfish and Portuguese man-of-war. I've heard that they leave you in agony, like a scorpion sting.

Someone mentioned that humans eat sharks. I've never had shark meat. What does eating it most resemble?

-cwm
edit on 6/16/2015 by carewemust because: spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Someone mentioned that humans eat sharks. I've never had shark meat. What does eating it most resemble?

Similar to swordfish or marlin.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Similar to swordfish or marlin.

Thanks Augustus, sounds very tastee and filling! Is it illegal to eat Shark in this country? I never see it offered on menus at seafood restaurants.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join