It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Govt Advice For Preventing More North Carolina Shark Attacks.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Monday, June 15, 2015

Two teenagers visiting North Carolina beaches had limbs bitten off in separate shark attacks yesterday. In both instances, the children were in waist-deep water. Why are N.C. officials now advising beachgoers to stay in "shallow water"? Is waist-deep not shallow enough?

Here's the Article: www.foxnews.com...

-cwm

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Waist deep is to deep , only way not to get bitten is stay out of the ocean .

Added picture , that shark is not very deep .
edit on 15-6-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It's not weird advice, it's sensible. Growing up in FL, I've seen many sharks in the water. My mom was sideswiped by a nurse shark at the beach once, in waist-deep water. She did leave the depth, but not the water, she was calf-deep the rest of the day, as were us kids.

Common sense is to GTFO of the water ASAP & stay out. If you're not going to get completely out of the water, it makes much more sense to retreat to water much shallower than waist deep, which means it's a depth more difficult for the sharks (even nurse sharks) to navigate effectively. It's still best to just get out of the water, but if you don't want to, or cannot, go as shallow as you can & stay there until you CAN get out.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sharks can swim in knee-deep water, as well.

Might as well just stay out of the ocean and swim in a pool if you're that worried about sharks.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

That was the weirdest, worst advice I have read for any given situation in a very long time.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadys321

What mine or the source of the OP.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
the best advise i ever heard about swimming in shark invested waters, was from Johnny carson right after jaws came out.
he was giving the top ten rules for swimming in shark invested waters.

number one was, use the buddy system when swimming in shark invested waters, that way when a shark attacks you can give him your buddy.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
the best advise i ever heard about swimming in shark invested waters, was from Johnny carson right after jaws came out.

number one was, use the buddy system when swimming in shark invested waters, that way when a shark attacks you can give him your buddy.

I was in the Navy for 12 years, and we had a saying: "I don't have to outswim the shark...I just need to swim faster than you"

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I hear that Johnny Carson had a dark sadistic side. Perhaps he meant it? I don't think that advice/joke would be politically correct in this day and age however...particularly after real attacks have occurred.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think they mean that if you're going to go in the ocean anyway, you should at least stay in shallow water. That way, you at least have a bit of a chance of escaping, compared to if you were way out in the water.

It doesn't make sense, I know. I think they're just giving the best advice they can considering the situation. They know people are going to go in the water no matter what.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
When we were snorkeling in Cozumel our guide gave us different hand signals to watch him for as he would point out different things. He joked that the sign of the cross was for there being a dangerous shark.

Jokes aside, can't sharks swim darn near up to shore for a snack? I thought some of them are even particularly adapted for hunting in shallows.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
one of my biggest fears, Sharks. Sharks and flying. Sharks, Flying and Wimminz, Flying Shark Wimminz..eek!

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jackjoedoe

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

I was in the Navy for 12 years, and we had a saying: "I don't have to outswim the shark...I just need to swim faster than you"

I like it....
ON topic the water would be much safer if we just stopped over fishing the oceans and eating the shark food....

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Don't remember the program's name or what type of shark, but I think it was somewhere around South Africa where those sharks had developed a hunting technique in which they pretty much was beaching themselves, like dolphins and killer whales sometimes do...................
And as far as the advice go..... what to expect from officials?

edit on 6162015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

edit on 6162015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
This seems like the exact type of advice our government would suggest.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I have seen them four feet from shore in Tampa following dogs around at the dog beach.

And I think I read that most attacks happen in 3-4 ft depths.

I do a bit of spear fishing and have noticed they generally wont bother you if they can see you well.

If you are not small enough to be swallowed by them, they don't have much interest in you.

Most of these attacks happen in murky, silty water. They catch a flash of a persons hand or the whites of the bottom of the feet and mistake them for fish.

Although they don't scare me in a diving situation, the thought of being adrift in the ocean at night, waiting to be eaten is absolutely the things nightmares are made of.

I have also read that if they are around you, make yourself look stretched out and bigger vs. tucking in your arms and balling up, which is the more natural thing to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It amazement me how humans tend to think that they can master the land the air and the water, hey I got one for you, the air belong to the birds, the water to the fish, we got two legs we belong in the land.

Stay away from water, swim in a pool, losing a limb to a shark is not worth it we had invaded their territory for far too long.
edit on 16-6-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It blows my mind to see so many people saying stay out of the water. 2 people in one day... out of what 100 thousand or more visiting the beaches there? It was a freak thing probably the same old bullshark hungry so its trapping fish against yhe beach and it just happened to hit 2 kids.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

This is something all fish do from bass to sharks. Chase prey to shore and it has fewer escape routes.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
side swiped by a nurse shark,lol i love that.lol. a shark that is almost blind and basicaly harmless.
Ever since Jaws came out Americans have had some kind of instilled fear of sharks, any attack that happens the only picture you will see flashed about on the MSM is that of a great white, the urban myths that stemmed from this series of movies and became folk lore is laughable.
I live on an island, A big island, surrounded by water and sharks, lots of people have been killed by these sharks but millions and millions of people havent.
I have swam and surfed in the ocean since, well, my earliest memories are of the ocean in the 70's and coconut oil, now I was taught by my uncle at I guess four years old a couple of simple rules on how not to get eaten.
1. DO NOT SWIM OR SURF AT DAWN
2. DO NOT SWIM OR SURF AT DUSK.
3. IF IT'S A DARK OVER CAST DAY AND MAYBE RAINING UNLESS THE SURF IS JUST TO GOOD TO GIVE UP DO NOT GO OUT.
4. IF YOU GET CAUGHT OUT LAST AT DUSK DONT PADDLE LIKE AN IDIOT TO GET IN, JUST RIDE IN, IF THE WATER GOES STILL, LAY FLAT ON THE BOARD.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join