It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan law OKs faith-based adoption refusals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Great! So the religious right are so concerned with the welfare of children that they're willing to make it harder for many of these kids to find homes?? All in the name of religion?

Private, faith-based agencies in Michigan will now be able to place needy children with foster and adoptive families without compromising their religious beliefs, according to a set of laws signed Thursday by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder.

Mr. Snyder said he signed the law to make sure “we get the largest number of kids in forever families,” dismissing accusations that the law was designed to prevent gay couples from adopting.

The Michigan Catholic Conference (MCC) thanked Mr. Snyder and the state legislature for protecting the rights of faith-based agencies to serve vulnerable populations.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Who the heck does this guy think he's fooling? It's fairly apparent this is meant to pander to the religious right in the State. What evidence is there, unbiased evidence, that same sex parents have a bad influence on their kids? There is none. This is unbelievable. And some people wonder why abortion rates continue as they are? Because we have a hypocritical segment of the population who will cry up and down about unborn babies meanwhile cutting any support to single parents in need, gutting education for kids and making it harder for some of them to be adopted. It continues to astound me.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Well if they are reviving state or federal funding then I disagree but if it is all private then I have to regretfully say they can do it.
ETA: Well they get state funding so all bets are off.
Wonder if they will hold thier strong religious beliefs when it comes to a couple that one or both of the people have been remarried.

Still sad though, if they really want to go the 'forever family' not sure how much better a hetero couple is with today's divorce rate.

edit on thMon, 15 Jun 2015 03:09:19 -0500America/Chicago620151980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Snyder is upset that his special election for Proposal One didn't pass and is throwing a tantrum, lashing out at any and all things he can.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Lets break it down.
Love and the desire to blanket a child with that love knows neither idiotic community leaders nor the religion they apparently represent.
Love is love and a child gives it unconditionally to a parent that is willing to give it back.
I'm adopted and both my dads are simply the best. I'm 30 now.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Cybersonic

Well said Cybersonic. Thanks for sharing with us.

I don't know any same sex couples personally but I've heard great accounts from kids that have been raised by same sex parents. They grow up to be healthy and typical kids. Kids like Zach Wahls:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cybersonic
Lets break it down.
Love and the desire to blanket a child with that love knows neither idiotic community leaders nor the religion they apparently represent.
Love is love and a child gives it unconditionally to a parent that is willing to give it back.
I'm adopted and both my dads are simply the best. I'm 30 now.

Indeed, kids want love above all else, not someone else's idea of "proper" family structure. Your dads raised you & you turned out fine, my husband's moms raised him & he turned out fine. When presented with that, those staunchly against gay parents tend to turn 90 shades of red & sputter, spinning their wheels to try to invalidate the families even despite looking at well-rounded adult children of gay parents in the eye.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'm just sure Jesus would be SO HAPPY that potential parents are being turned away because some self-righteous religious bigots are denying the children a stable, loving home.

Just to be clear, not all religious people are self-righteous bigots, but those who would USE their religion to show disapproval and sanctimonious intolerance ARE.

I fear for where this country is headed under the rule of religious prejudice. Poor kids...

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Ah the religious right. Will do everything short of murdering you to stop you from killing your unborn baby, but once the baby is born it has to fend for itself. Always pleasing to see their hypocrisy on display. /sarc.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
When we adopted my nephews, we had to get legally married for BOTH of us to adopt yet, we unmarried had two children already. ONE of us could have adopted just not BOTH...I did not do my due diligence in researching this although I thought that I had. It was true that in my state unmarried people could adopt if they were of the same sex. I did sort of "have them over a barrel" so to speak as the boys had been in Foster Care for some time. The State needed them off of the books. They were "aging out" and the oldest being T1D cost them medically.
One of us could have become a "co" parent or "second" parent but, whichever that was would not have had the same rights and the children wouldn't have been equally entitled as our birth children...My State which just happens to be in the bible belt imposing religious beliefs (being married) on us.
So, we caved and got married...anyway, more on topic...I read something the other day that went sort of like this...
IF being raised by gay parents makes you predisposed to homosexuality, then how do heterosexual parents explain raising a child who is gay?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
okay then, give us a written guarantee that for each child you place in adoption is being placed in a family that will last till the child is an adult!
forever families...ya good luck with that!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I am not sure how I feel on this subject. I have no problem supporting gay marriage because it is between two consenting adults. I do have a problem with two moms or two dads for a child being adopted.

This is now affecting someone who can't consent and while my opinion might be unpopular, I am not ready to 'celebrate' with you all on this.

I know I am old fashioned, but I believe children deserve a mother and a father and my opinion has nothing to do with religion.
edit on 2015/6/15 by Metallicus because: clarity

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Great! So the religious right are so concerned with the welfare of children that they're willing to make it harder for many of these kids to find homes?? All in the name of religion?

Private, faith-based agencies in Michigan will now be able to place needy children with foster and adoptive families without compromising their religious beliefs, according to a set of laws signed Thursday by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder.

Mr. Snyder said he signed the law to make sure “we get the largest number of kids in forever families,” dismissing accusations that the law was designed to prevent gay couples from adopting.

The Michigan Catholic Conference (MCC) thanked Mr. Snyder and the state legislature for protecting the rights of faith-based agencies to serve vulnerable populations.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Who the heck does this guy think he's fooling? It's fairly apparent this is meant to pander to the religious right in the State. What evidence is there, unbiased evidence, that same sex parents have a bad influence on their kids? There is none. This is unbelievable. And some people wonder why abortion rates continue as they are? Because we have a hypocritical segment of the population who will cry up and down about unborn babies meanwhile cutting any support to single parents in need, gutting education for kids and making it harder for some of them to be adopted. It continues to astound me.

Taxpayer funded, so religion should not enter into the process at all, IMHO. I guess, one could make an exemption is there was some overwhelming cultural issue or a psychiatrist made the determination that the children should be maintained in a religion they were brought up in to minimize "culture shock," but I'd say that'd be rather rare and that a loving home would be more important than "maintaining the faith of their fathers."

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

while I agree somewhat with you I've got to say...
two dads or two moms would be a heck of a lot better than many of the foster homes out there! at least they'd have someone in the world looking after them that had enough interest to go through the hassle and cost of adopting them instead of someone who might be just interested in getting the money for the services rendered.
money which of course, comes from taxpayer's pockets!

www.liftingtheveil.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm conflicted on this issue also. Like Metallicus, I've no problem supporting the right for gay marriage. I really don't care who's bumpin' with who...

But I do care that a child who has no say in the matter - get's placed in the best home possible should they find themselves orphaned. A little girl needs a mother and a daddy, and a boy needs and dad and his mommy. The concept that because divorce forces kids to have one parent - is a fallacy. A lie. Whether they divorce or not - they still have a mother and they still have a father - because that's what it takes to create life.

Now, I only have one experience with meeting a gay couple who adopted a child. I left, feeling uncomfortable for the child. They had this - everyone has 'inner gayness' thing that left me very worried for the child's future and individuality.

So I'm conflicted on the issue.

CdT

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'm conflicted also on whether or not it is a good thing or bad thing but, if the Mother and the Father are needed to produce life then, hasn't that part already been accomplished?
I will NEVER be my nephew's Mother. I am their guardian, leader, Aunt, female role model. If my S.O. were to die tomorrow I would then have to look elsewhere for the male role model, someone else to show them about being a man. I can instruct some but, it is not the same as having a man to do this. I'm not meaning a fill in Uncle either or to remarry simply someone to teach them.
So, I guess my question would be, if there's a role model of the opposite sex in their life, can't the things needed to be learned be learned that way? I don't know, I'm just asking a question...

Also, maybe "the best home possible" is only going to be that of a same sex couple...I met a lot of Foster Parents when I was taking classes who never had any intention of adopting. A few stated that they would love to have a baby but, few said they wanted to adopt...that leaves a whole lot of children in the system who have no hope of ever being adopted.
They will just age out of the system, unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am not sure how I feel on this subject. I have no problem supporting gay marriage because it is between two consenting adults. I do have a problem with two moms or two dads for a child being adopted.

This is now affecting someone who can't consent and while my opinion might be unpopular, I am not ready to 'celebrate' with you all on this.

I know I am old fashioned, but I believe children deserve a mother and a father and my opinion has nothing to do with religion.

I can agree that in a perfect world, every child would be raised by a mother and a father. But the world is not perfect. Even in heterosexual homes, there are many issues that kids must face. There are still problems of abuse, neglect, families breaking apart, etc.

Gay couples are in a position to care for children when their mothers and fathers cannot. There may be some issues from time to time, but that's going to occur in any home, not just a homosexual home. If gay couples want to adopt and can meet the minimum standards we set for potential adoptive homes, we should allow them to do so.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Children don't care who their parents are, as long as they love them. This has been proven time and again. There is even personal testimony in this very thread that children raised by same sex couples turn out just fine.

Actually, that IS a religious belief. There has never been some traditional decree that a family has to have a mother and a father. Single family homes have dominated the world since we climbed out of the trees. They aren't anything new. Having two dads or two moms is like back in the day when a village or tribe would raise the child (and in effect they'd have a whole village of parents).

Only religion has decreed that a family must be man, woman, and children.

Seriously, what is SO wrong with providing family and support to a child that has none all because that family happens to have two adults in it of the same gender? Even if you view homosexuality as a sin, does that mean you are suggesting their sin of homosexuality is going to rub off on the child? It's ridiculous reasoning. This is why I pointed out the abortion angle earlier. If I guessed, I would say you are pro-life. Well these are children whose parents didn't abort. How about doing everything in your Christian power to help THEM live as well?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

For one, gender roles are completely arbitrary. For two, girls learn how to be girls from more sources than just their mother and boys learn how to be boys from more sources than just their father.
edit on 15-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

ANY adoption or birth, for that matter, is affecting someone who can't consent. Britney Spears children couldn't consent. Hitler's children couldn't consent. NO child gets a say in the matter of who their parents are. So, find a rational reason.

People don't even question whether a child born to the average drunk Joe and Mary has a good role model in their lives, but when it comes to gay people, we think we have the right to sit back in judgment and criticism.
edit on 6/15/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
People don't want us to be Gay in Public, or our 'Gay Agenda" is shoving it in their face, or the "Progressives" are ruining america...

What about the "Anti-Progressive" Religious agenda? what about religion trying to control everyone's life, and tell them who they can and can't marry, who can and can't adopt... i mean would they rather a family like the Duggers adopt a child than *Gasp* a Gay
edit on 15-6-2015 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join