It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of the Misuse of the Term Americans.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: beezzer

Oh don't go getting in a snit now bez.
Rabbits with an attitude...shakes head.

Sorry. Still upset about Firefly.

It's something I still have issues about, seeing a therapist for it though.

That's because Firefly is magnificent.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I agree with him, to be honest.

It is what it is though I suppose *shrug*

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

But what about Crocodile Dundee ???

Crocodile Dundee is actually from Wales. I can say that with confidence because no-one ever admits they are from there.

I'm from Wales!
...have lived in England for longer though, and yep, it can be a challenge with the 'sheep shagger' jokes, or 'itinerant migrant worker' or 'where's your visa' lines.
I see it as a simple inferiority complex by the English though, they are lucky we have no plans for a wider takeover of the islands.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

edit on 6142015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

Oh never mind

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've just been Googling images of US passports and in the Nationality section it seems to say "United States of America" not American citizen. Is that correct?
UK passports say "British Citizen" in the Nationality section, not "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", maybe that uses too much ink?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Seems our whole discussion has been rendered irrelevant anyway.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: enament

Perhaps some Canadians are jealous and one has found a safe way to display that disappointment?

Or is it just the creep of PCness invading the most common, ordinary aspect of that what is rather harmless simply because that device can be utilized?

edit on 14-6-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I wouldn't push it with Canada if I were you, they are already chasing sanctions against the US over food labeling:
Mexico and Canada seek $3bn sanctions against US over meat

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
OP, if citizens of the U.S. being referred to as "Americans" while Canadians aren't, is that much of an issue for you, I suggest you reexamine some priorities.

Being an "American" has quite a bit of negative connotation attached to it throughout the world, so if you want a slice of that pie, you're welcome to it. That being said, I'd wager that in a pinch with an AK-47 pointed at your face in some foreign country, you'd proclaim loud and proud that you're a Canadian.
edit on 6/14/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

That made me chuckle as on a lighter note when ever I'm in France one of the first questions can be "Anglais?" (English?) to which I reply "Non, Gallois, Pays de Galles" (No, Welsh, Wales), then instantly a big smile "Ah, Gallois!" and much much more friendly than when they first thought I was English.

It makes such a difference in certain parts of France that all my English mates just lie and say they are Welsh as well so they know nobody is spitting in their food back in the kitchen. The French can't distinguish a Welsh accent so it's and easy lie to tell, lol.

Ah, xenophobia, don't we just love it!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Yeah, I used a rather extreme example in my response, but I think it got the point across.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Totally understand. I was in a sketchy situation in remote Indonesia around the time of the Bali bombing. We all had to put our passports into a basket held by some 'official' who none of us could understand.
The US citizens I was with were #ting it, I was mildly concerned, but everyone was jealous of the two Swiss nationals with their bright red passports with the massive white cross on it.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: enament
Hello US citizens, I am a Canadian I am also an American a ( North American ). ,anyone from the tip of Chile to the top of Canada and everywhere in between are American. It annoys me that people don't understand what the term American means. People of the USA seem to have claimed the title Americans to describe themselves as a Country and not a continent as the term is really meant to be. You are Proud to be North American as am I

It has gotten to the point where even at the border they have asked in the past if you are an American citizen. (years ago). I think its been clarified since then.

How many people know Russians are also Asians? People use the term Asian to describe people of cultural appearance ( Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc ). But not to describe a Russian.

I don't mean this to be insulting at all, its just frustrating to me that the term Americans is so misused in the USA to the point where other people of the Continent of North and South America are not considered Americans in the USA. Yes people of other Countries are also Americans.
The flag of the USA is an American flag and the flags of Canada, Mexico etc are also American flags

Sorry in advance to those who are offended by me clarifying that.

Technically you're right. It would be like Malaysians only considering Malaysians as true "Asians", since the word is in their country's name. Or citizens of the Central African Republic staking claim as the only Africans for the same reason.

But we've been taught "American Exceptionalism" since we were kids. We're not going to stop now just because some foreigner wants to be American too! Get of my lawn! :p
edit on 14-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added something about CAR

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

well you can start calling everyone Canadian american or US american.... but if you call yourself American you will be seen as US american so the choice is yours for being mistaken as a US american... this is even confusing me now.

Think about it US of America, I'm not gonna call myself a US citizen I prefer American. I live in the south so Yankee isn't gonna work. I could go by my state North Carolinian. I prefer American

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
OP, if citizens of the U.S. being referred to as "Americans" while Canadians aren't, is that much of an issue for you, I suggest you reexamine some priorities.

Being an "American" has quite a bit of negative connotation attached to it throughout the world, so if you want a slice of that pie, you're welcome to it. That being said, I'd wager that in a pinch with an AK-47 pointed at your face in some foreign country, you'd proclaim loud and proud that you're a Canadian.

Holly cow you nailed it, that is exactly my point, I don't wish to be confused with US citizens .

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Meh.

Since I'm a citizen of the country named "Canada", I'll continue to refer to myself as a "Canadian"... for clarity's sake.

Life is far less stressful and complicated when one keeps things simple and straightforward.

But if you want to call yourself "American" or "North American", then by all means that's your prerogative. It is, afterall, technically correct.

However... out of polite consideration for other peoples' sense of clarity and understanding, I imagine this will be the type of conversation you're going to have to have on a daily basis:

Sally Sue: "Oh hi, nice to meet you. Where are you from ?"

You: "Well, I'm an American."

Sally Sue: "Oh, how nice. Where in the United States do you live ?"

You: "Oh no no. I don't live in the United States. I live in Canada. But I call myself an American because I live in North America. Because, you know, Canada is in North America."

Sally Sue: "Ah, I see. So you're actually Canadian then ?"

You: "Well yes, I guess, sort of. But technically speaking I'm actually Canadian American because I live in North America AND Canada. But I just shorten it and say 'American'. It just makes it easier that way."

Sally Sue: "Oh... um... yeah... okay."

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I want to be referred to as a "Trans-Dimensional-Carbon-Based-Hyper-Intelligent-Fluffy-Pants".

And I want my own bathroom.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I want to be referred to as a "Trans-Dimensional-Carbon-Based-Hyper-Intelligent-Fluffy-Pants".

Can I just call you "fluffy pants" ?

I'm not capable of all those other hoity toity big words.

And I want my own bathroom.

For the safety of others worldwide, I think you should have your own too. I've heard what your bathroom habits are like... and they're not pretty.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Can I just call you "fluffy pants" ?

I'm not capable of all those other hoity toity big words.

That's what is says on my business cards!

For the safety of others worldwide, I think you should have your own too. I've heard what your bathroom habits are like... and they're not pretty.

Just because I like to sing whenever I am performing my ablutions doesn't mean it's not pretty!

Although the producers at "America Has Talent" didn't think certain acts could be televised.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Although the producers at "America Has Talent" didn't think certain acts could be televised.

I suspect in another 20 years they'll be more than happy to televise your cleansing serenades because it will be the popular opinion of the day.

And the crowd will cheer...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join