It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge parachute designed to save crashing planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
A friend of mine has one on his ultralight. Its basically a rocket propelled parachute that you fire off if you are going to crash. The chute rockets out and the ultralight floats to the ground in a cntrolled manner. It can deployed at just about any popint. They also can e fitted to Cessnas and the like as well. I wonder if we will ever see one fit to say a comerical airliner or even the space shuttle. Make the crew cab a self contained pod ala the F-111's and use it to bail out?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Canadian rancher Albert Kolk's small plane banked uncontrollably in darkness over the Monashee mountains, then began spiraling toward earth. "Seat belts!" he barked to his teenage grandson and two young friends. Then he reached for a red lever in the cockpit.

Suddenly, an orange-and-white parachute as big as a house opened above the plane and gently landed his stricken aircraft in a rocky clearing.

If the Minnesota-based maker of the parachute that saved Kolk's life this past spring succeeds, one day commercial aircraft like regional commuter jets may have similar safety systems. First, though, there's the challenge of creating a parachute robust enough to rescue bigger, faster planes.

Crash

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Great thing this is, parachute come standard on Cirrus airplanes. Saved quite a few planes so far.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Honestly, I can see the FAA mandating them at some point. 15K is chump change compared to dying in a civil aviation crash.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I actually saw a plan for one of these systems for commercial air carriers around 20 years ago. It was in Popular Mechanics or one of those magazines. The design called for the passenger compartment to seperate from the rest of the plane and come down on some parachutes. It is/was feasible, however the cost made it prohibitive. Isn't it wonderful that it is too expensive to put in a system that can save lives?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
Isn't it wonderful that it is too expensive to put in a system that can save lives?

Yeah, The Shuttle should have had a system like that. I don't know if it would have made a difference with Columbia, but with Challanger, the capsule and crew were alive untill they hit the ocean. They could have been saved. But cost reared its ugly head im sure.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
look on that really crazy yah?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
That's sweet, real sweet!!! I do believe that cost can be kept down by incorporating them in the design of the aircraft and charging only a few extra $ per ticket. Heck, I'd spend an extra $500 for a ticket to basically ensure my safety, however, the newer the designs the more reliable they are, though, that isn’t to say that incidents won’t be happening in the future.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have read other articles on this before and understand some prototypes have actually been tested on smaller aircraft. It is certainly a great idea for small planes.

What pushkin posted seems very complex to me, but I am not an engineer. I also do not think it is in the best interest of the public to have planes designed to break apart on command.

My main concern is, would they work in the event of fire or an explosion?
I have several family members that work for various airlines and would love to think they could have the possibility of an invention like this on all of their aircraft protecting them and the passengers.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The only problem with parachutes on airliners really would be the weights and balances. All that weight for the equipment and parachutes would be A LOT. Especially for ones so huge. Not to mention the stabilizing wings that come out after each section breaks off with its own parachutes.

That would take up A LOT of space as well. Space that could be used for fuel, electronics, luggage, passengers. Plus every so often the parachutes would have to be unpacked, examed VERY throughly, and the repacked.

So basically, as good of an idea it would be, it's just not economical at all.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Unless I am wrong most crashes happen on take off and landing.. I can't see where these would help that much in that case... also what if the system malfunctions during take off or landing?

I don't know.. I am not liking the idea too much... maybe for small aircraft .. I don't think I'd want to be on a commercial jet with this equipment.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Unless I am wrong most crashes happen on take off and landing.. I can't see where these would help that much in that case... also what if the system malfunctions during take off or landing?

You mean like the one Airbus crash when the plane thought it was landing all of a sudden while it was taking off? Yeah, planes that don't let the pilot actually control them are janky.

new topics

top topics

join