It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are "Third World" Regions Actually Starving?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Seems that extreme emotions have overtaken the ability to read and comprehend on this thread.
Asking serious, deliberate questions about do-gooders will often elicit such venom as you've experienced here since their blinders don't allow them to see beyond what some corporate (yes, charities are corporate in structure) shill told them about the "way it should be."

My conscience tells me to be patient with them, because it's obvious there's a misunderstanding going on. I know that it's hard for people to get past stereotypes. But the second they see "3rd world", they jump to the stereotype of "poverty". Then they completely ignore the fact that 3rd world countries have wealth & prosperity just like other countries. As an example, most people will think of Africa as a poverty stricken wasteland, regardless of the truth. And virtually no one wants to go into why some of these regions suffer from that poverty in the first place. Or have the audacity to ask "How long has poverty like that existed there? And which policies created those conditions?"

But it reminds me of a quote (I think from an South American nun, but I'm not sure). She said "If you help the poor, they call you a saint. If you ask why they're poor, they call you a communist."

Either way, I think I'm done with this thread. I've never been a patient man so I'm trying to change that. But I'll accept a loss in that category because I don't have the patience to keep repeating myself. OP, your ideas actually have more merit than people think. But to each their own, I guess.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

You have already made quite clear both your views and your moral outlook. Why do you persist? You have nothing more to say.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Asking serious, deliberate questions about do-gooders will often elicit such venom as you've experienced here since their blinders don't allow them to see beyond.

It is not as easy as you think it is to disguise greed and selfishness as concern for good governance among charitable organizations. Not even a nice try.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Sam Kinison might have been on to something.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Its pretty common knowlage there is enough food to go round .

Its political corruption, war, poor education and bad logitics that cause famines.

edit on 15-6-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Please stop acting like you guys know anything about the world of international development...

So when you say:

4) Countries are impoverished themselves and do not have the capital (of all kinds) infrastructure, refrigeration, proper transportation, etc, to improve economically and food security wise

Do you mean that money and "modernization" is the answer? Don't you think us unsustainable westerners are already a herd of buffalo heading towards a cliff, why should we force these false ideals on others? "poverty" came when imperialism strangled these various nations.

In my humble opinion I don't think international development policy should be to get everyone burning up fossil fuels and polluting waterways (westernization) so they can refrigerate bacon. They were doing fine before the western world changed their way of life.

I understand this may insult you, and I don't want it to, because your intentions are respectable, donating your time for free to these causes is great and everyone should be doing it.

If you want to live like a pre industrial caveman then why are you on ATS? Smash your pc up and go live in some African jungle or deserst, nothing is stopping you.
edit on 15-6-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: diggindirt

Asking serious, deliberate questions about do-gooders will often elicit such venom as you've experienced here since their blinders don't allow them to see beyond.

It is not as easy as you think it is to disguise greed and selfishness as concern for good governance among charitable organizations. Not even a nice try.

Now wait a minute---if you're going to quote me, please do so accurately and don't go chopping up my sentences like that.

Actually, it is fairly easy to slip into greed and selfishness in charitable organizations. I've seen it happen and assisted in exposing and rooting it out. But you pretty much have to be involved in the charity and be looking at the books to figure it out.
The venom comes after the exposure of corruption.
It's directed at the DA who got the indictments and everyone else who wasn't willing to sweep it all under the rug in the name of public relations.
I've witnessed it on both the local and state level. It can turn into some pretty hefty numbers in terms of diverted funds. I can only imagine what may exist at the national and international levels.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: cooperton

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Please stop acting like you guys know anything about the world of international development...

So when you say:

4) Countries are impoverished themselves and do not have the capital (of all kinds) infrastructure, refrigeration, proper transportation, etc, to improve economically and food security wise

Do you mean that money and "modernization" is the answer? Don't you think us unsustainable westerners are already a herd of buffalo heading towards a cliff, why should we force these false ideals on others? "poverty" came when imperialism strangled these various nations.

In my humble opinion I don't think international development policy should be to get everyone burning up fossil fuels and polluting waterways (westernization) so they can refrigerate bacon. They were doing fine before the western world changed their way of life.

I understand this may insult you, and I don't want it to, because your intentions are respectable, donating your time for free to these causes is great and everyone should be doing it.

If you want to live like a pre industrial caveman then why are you on ATS? Smash your pc up and go live in some African jungle or deserst, nothing is stopping you.

Touche. I think our dilemma can be fixed, otherwise i'd be gone by now. Until it is fixed (clean, renewable energy for all, etc) I see no need to force a malignant way of life on other cultures. The earth can recycle itself, we just have to stop fighting that process.
edit on 15-6-2015 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Comedian Sam Kinison said it best, "Move to the food!"...."Don't send them food, send them bus tickets!"...."We have deserts in America....we just don't LIVE in them!"

A bit simplified, but the essence of it is pretty basic.

Of course, a lot of aid ends up in the hands of bandit warlords who attack the shipments, NOT the hungry folks they show on TV....

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join