It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting my first motorbike..... need advice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So,

Quick intro, I am 34, 23 stone (320 pounds) and 6"4, and live in the UK, I have always wanted to do my bike license, and now have the funds to do a direct access, and start next week!

so I'm looking at getting a decent first bike, I can't do HP (hire purchase) and have around about 1k to spend, i'm looking at between 500-700cc

i would love a Suzuki V Strom 650 (and one day will!!!) but i cannot afford this, this is the same for the Triumph Tiger, or Kawasaki Verses (same style bikes)

I am not interested in sports bikes, but want a good commuter and weekend bike, so i need some advice,

thoughts?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

Try and find a older BMW or a Gold Wing . Your size is the real challenge as well as your experience .Too small is no good so a bigger but tamer bike with a good balance is a good way to go .. best of luck .and play safe

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

When you ride,imagine every other road user is an incompetent and dangerous fool,and ride with that in mind.
Get the best saftey gear you can't afford,even if it means saving up for ages.

Be as careful as you can be.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

This is what I'm aiming for , Honda CBR600

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Don't rule out a used Yamaha V-Star 650/750. They are great starter bikes, low maintenance, reliable, comfortable, and have enough power for what you need, but not too overpowering. You will also not "outgrow" it in a year or two, which is what will happen with anything below a 650.

Don't skimp on protective gear (as said previously) either. It is protecting you...and your expenditure on that will reflect how you perceive your own worth in the event a driver in a "cage" (i.e. automobile) decides to ignore you on the road and force you into an accident.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

i agree with that!

i have saved up to buy my Jacket, Helmet and Gloves

Helmet: www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk...
i haven't heard of the Yamaha V-Star 650/750, will take a look, thank you

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I have a 650 classic. It is my fist back-to-riding bike after an accident 25 years ago.

Her name is Stella...

edit on 6/13/2015 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

When you ride,imagine every other road user is an incompetent and dangerous fool,and ride with that in mind.
Get the best saftey gear you can't afford,even if it means saving up for ages.

Be as careful as you can be.

imagine every other road user is an incompetent and dangerous fool

Dont have to imagine .When a person is on a bike the other drivers ARE

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
GET health insurance. life insurance,some drivers just dont see ya!!,and ive been riding for 30 yrs.. be safe

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Best advise (besides what has already been given) is don't put gas in your tank that has ethanol in it. May as well dump sugar in your tank. Always run premium. And remember in the wind, is in the wind. Doesn't matter what you ride.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh, and if you ride in the country, where there are ample trees and foliage, beware the falling acorn. It will inevitably strike you in the least comfortable place. I've had one hit my right pinky knuckle, hurt like hell, left a welt the size of a walnut.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

i dont know how things are in the UK but if you are only spending a thousand bucks you are not going to get much.

if it were me i would wait till i had some more money. i know around here you can get a damn nice metric bike for 2500-3000.

i would also suggest getting a bike cause of your size.
700cc is enough power to haul you around but a lot of bikes that size feel small cause of their frames and such.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I say find yourself a used bike. And go for comfort and stability. Definitely stay above 300cc. But 1000cc.... most new bikers find out the hard way to stay away from 1000cc and above. Most bike lays happen because the rider slams on the brakes. And don't ever say you know how to safely stop a bike at any speed. I have heard hundreds of people say this from young to old at every accident I have come across. More than 80 percent of those I have seen got lucky enough not to succumb to serious injuries. But the 20 percent who were unlucky either lost a limb, or their life.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

why stay away from 1000cc?

you know that people slam the brakes on 250cc bikes as well right?

just get something comfortable to you man and dont let people freak you out about having a bike thats too big.

youre a big guy so you need a big bike.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'd go for this one in the price range. If you are not doing a ton of highway riding.
Cheap, easy to ride and bombproof. In my experience, I would stay away from the giant goldwing and harley lead sled type bikes for a newbie. The are heavy and horrible at emergency maneuvers like braking and swerving.

xr 600+

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Loud pipes save lives.

They might anger your neighbors but on the road they will let other driver know a motorcycle is around.

Drive safe and wear a helmet.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Loud pipes save lives.

They might anger your neighbors but on the road they will let other driver know a motorcycle is around.

Drive safe and wear a helmet.

Uhhh...okay...

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Make sure the motor starts. Make sure that the brakes work.
Okay, I don't know about motorcycles. Good luck and safe riding.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

i agree with the helmet thing.

i wear one. i resisted for a long time cause i was an idiot.
nothing happened but i thought it made me look like a big old dork.

my wife just sat me down and said i was being stupid and to wear one.

she showed me a picture of a helmet from a wreck. dude was wearing it so the helmet saved his life but this thing was tore up man...crazy damage and it just clicked that that helmet could be my noodle if i went down.

i always wear it now.
i cant think of any good reason not to wear one.

i did get the smallest style half lid i can find. i dont like full face helmets but if you go that way check out shoei.

anyway, this is what i wear

www.bikerhelmets.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Well I have to say good luck with that price range but hey there are deals out there. And there are always people needing to get rid of a bike quickly. I am 6'3 and 215 and just stayed humble and got a 250 cc Kawasaki enduro. It gets me around just fine and they can be found somewhat cheap. Maybe check a larger cc but don't rule an enduro out. They are very nimble and nothing beats hitting a trail or two. If you have anything to trade maybe you can make a deal that way too. Unfortunately if you only spend a little you will probably end up with a bike that will take some serious work the first year you ride it. New tires are very important. I can't believe how bald I have let mine go and how sketchy it got at times. Best of luck and watch for the small creatures that love to test their luck running out in front of you.

top topics

join