It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

parallel universe. not for me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
hi all.
this is a rant.
i hate the term parallel universe.
1 for me. it simply cannot be.
2 it suggests 2 or more same universes to me. what would be the point?
3 i would think that if 2 or more universes were born exactly the same. they would take a different route at some stage. this then would not be parallel.
i can come to terms with a phrase like twin or clone universe. this then would make sense.
and. there is a saying about madness and performing the same experiment over and over expecting a different result. this is my idea of the parallel universe.
so. whoever came up with the title. can i please ask you to change it to twin or clone universe.
rant over.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Until they can PROVE otherwise, its just science fiction

For me its the same as the "Other dimension" noise, science fiction.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Do you think in this "parallel universe" they might use capital letters?

That would be cool

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

thanks voidhawk.
yes a theoretical concept.
but the term is real.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

HA HA HA
I'm still on 1 finger typing. It is faster that way.
Very sorry. And will try harder from now on.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

it suggests 2 or more same universes to me. what would be the point?

What's the point of one ?

so. whoever came up with the title. can i please ask you to change it to twin or clone universe.

No , because they would neither be twin or clones of this Universe they would likely be very different to our own with different laws of physics , they are other Universes that in theory sit parallel to our own , hence parallel Universes.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

The "parallel universe" and this one occupy the same space. We just can't detect it with our physical senses and instruments.

One away to "envision it" is imagining the people in 2D "flat land". They have no notion of up, the third dimension is outside their awareness. If an orange passes through their dimension it appears as a circle, growing and vanishing before their eyes. They don't "see" the whole thing from their perspective.

Neither do we see, unless revealed to us or when we "pass".

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

they are other Universes that in theory sit parallel to our own , hence parallel Universes.

Same Universe, just we can't detect it.

Before you were born you were in the womb. In the same world as now, just your viewpoint of this one was limited by your senses to perceive it.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
i would think that if 2 or more universes were born exactly the same. they would take a different route at some stage. this then would not be parallel.

Parallel simply means side by side, it doesn't mean they are the same. A red line and a blue line running parallel to each other, they are similar, but not the same.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

All the world's a stage.

There's only one song, but there's plenty of performers.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Per current models the term parallel universe would be plural "parallel universes" . There are an infinite amount of universes that coexist alongside ours separated by 11 dimensions of space time. Although possible that any 2 are the same it is improbable.

And the term "parallel universe" hasnt been used in Theoretical Physics in quite some time. It is now the Multiverse.

Hope this helps

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

From what I know when they speak of parallel universe it doesn't mean it's exactly the same as in a copy.
Like TheMadTitan said they sit side by side. Two parallel lines never touch as they are perfectly and equally distanced from each other. So they can be different to each other.
And you say you don't see the point of having 2 or more same universes, following your logic, a twin or clone universe should also not make sense.
Semantics aside, I'm more fond of the multiverse theory, what do you think of that?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
hi all.
this is a rant.
i hate the term parallel universe.
1 for me. it simply cannot be.
2 it suggests 2 or more same universes to me. what would be the point?
3 i would think that if 2 or more universes were born exactly the same. they would take a different route at some stage. this then would not be parallel.
i can come to terms with a phrase like twin or clone universe. this then would make sense.
and. there is a saying about madness and performing the same experiment over and over expecting a different result. this is my idea of the parallel universe.
rant over.

Your looking at it the wrong way. By parallel they mean BESIDE. Because the ajacent diminsion is connected to ours. There's just no door.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet you have a similar problem with parallel universes as I did.

My understanding of parallel universes was that choice created a whole new universe. Which made zero sense!!! How could the fact that I chose to use a red pen create a brand new world?!?? Where's the energy come from!! That's ridiculous!!!

Well that's not what they mean. They mean that there are so many universes (infinity universes actually) that some went exactly as ours did, except for in that one I used a blue pen. The "red pen" universe and the "blue pen" universe both exist independent of each other. The blue pen universe didn't manifest because of my choice, there are just so many every option has happened.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks to all who commented.
I accept and like the multiverse term.
It was only a lighthearted rant.
Cheers to you all

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Parallel universe doesn't mean the same as in twin or clone, it means there are 2 and they are separate - not the same or exact.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What about cytokinesic universe, then? lol Born from, and similar to the original, but "fated" differently.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It's a good example of how clever maths and clever guesswork doesn't always bring up the right answer.

How can I put it? If life, the universe, and everything were a crossword puzzle, parallel universes would be one possible solution to one of the clues...same meaning, same number of letters. It looks like the correct solution, just happens not to be.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
It's a good example of how clever maths and clever guesswork doesn't always bring up the right answer.

How can I put it? If life, the universe, and everything were a crossword puzzle, parallel universes would be one possible solution to one of the clues...same meaning, same number of letters. It looks like the correct solution, just happens not to be.

Huh? Why? If you use the real definition not the sci fi one it makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that "making perfect sense" doesn't necessarily equate to reality.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: Entreri06

I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that "making perfect sense" doesn't necessarily equate to reality.

I ment it like 1+1=2 sense. So yea it usually does. Infact we have literally never found ANYTHING that didn't add up.

I've spent years searching thru OOParts and such and there isn't one single thing that is truely unexplained. Science has done an amazing job of cataloging and explaining reality. We will of course make corrections, but the frame work is right. If not our tech wouldn't be nearly as advanced.

join