It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut's strict gun law linked to large homicide drop

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Deny Ignorance is their motto but the gun nutters are some of the most ignorant and idiotic when it comes to their explanations for guns. They will ignore any FACT and good sense over their corrupted view.

LOL so you think it's ok that law abiding citizens obey the laws not to own guns while the criminals own the guns anyway through various ways? Did you forget about the 2nd Amendment?

I swore to myself I wouldn't comment in this thread as I am drunk but I had to comment.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Great article. Obviously if people don't have guns, you won't have as many shootings, because not everyone gets guns by stealing, unlike what the right wing would have you believe.

www.cnn.com...

This smacks of desperation like Bloomberg.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

originally posted by: CB328
Great article. Obviously if people don't have guns, you won't have as many shootings, because not everyone gets guns by stealing, unlike what the right wing would have you believe.

www.cnn.com...

Good luck with this CORRECT observation on this forum ATS..

Deny Ignorance is their motto but the gun nutters are some of the most ignorant and idiotic when it comes to their explanations for guns. They will ignore any FACT and good sense over their corrupted view.

You sound like you aren't from America. When a non-American complains about our 2nd amendment, I totally get it. The problem is that non-Americans don't understand where we are coming from.

Think about it. Whenever there's a pissing match between Americans and (usually) Europeans, what is the one thing Americans will bring up virtually ever time? Guns. We feel we are better because of our guns. Everything else? We are inferior. Healthcare, education, etc. We aren't doing so great in those areas. Our own government employees we pay to protect us shoot us and beat us. Our own government officials who we pay to wisely spend our money uses it to fund war and bail out the banks who screwed us. So... guns. That's what we have.

If we got rid of guns, we really don't have anything left to cling to. If you understood that, you would understand why we are so defensive of them.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Dude, pull out your fave album and the headphones(you knows, so's you can hear it properly) and forget the dumb stuff like this thread.

Trust me, it works out better, MUCH better. Just resist the urge to reply. Wise words I don't always adhere to, but I try and it does make life easier.

Heck, I can't be reasoned with any more than the OP, which makes me about 73% sure I'm 89% right.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Must...resist...urge...to...reply.
Ah, screw it.
Pro gun-grabbers can go choke on my dirty socks.
Move your ass to Mexico if you don't want to have the right to defend yourself.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
wrong thread. my bad!
edit on 6/13/2015 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
Hah!
edit on 13-6-2015 by Cuervo because: He figured it out.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jackjoedoe
a reply to: CB328

Since you a so adverse to people owning guns, move to mexico, their gun laws are very strict...I have heard it is working out great for the common law abiding citizens...

So where do the majority of illegal automatic assault rifles in Mexico originate from............. I wonder?

I just don't understand how all those anti gun regulation people can be so blatantly blind to basic logic. I mean fair enough, be pro guns and passionate about your rights and all that. But don't try to claim that nonsense about how it makes society safer, the ignorance of that logic is just sad.

It's just basic mathematics, the more guns in society, the more harm done to said society...... like wise, the more rounds a gun can fire in a short period of time, with a single trigger squeeze, the more people a mass shooter can kill in said short period of time. This isn't rocket science people!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
What is the saying? Correlation does not imply causation?

Connecticut dropping murders more than predicted does not "prove" that background checks "work". I think virtually EVERY state requires a background check to purchase a pistol. Connecticut just caught a national trend of crime decrease better than most places. Something tells me this is because Connecticut as a rule is quite affluent. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a bunch of rich people are less likely to murder each other than a group of street running gang bangers in a housing project (who, somewhat ironically, are less likely to go through all the legal loopholes to purchase a gun when they can just steal one or buy one from a homie). Your point is moot.
edit on 13-6-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Being so dependent on guns is a weakness. Own them if you must.

To deny those who just want common sense laws, proves you do not care about rights, just yours.

Every time a gun owner screams about rights..etc, what they really mean is "I don't care about your rights, just mine"

What do you say to people who feel guns are dangerous and want to make it harder for criminals to get guns, do you tell them , I do not care.

What about making it harder for mentally ill people? Of course your against that because you would be labeled as such, I do not mean to insult but what would you call someone who has such a strong obsession with guns.

That is what I am getting when I read the replies to a gun thread. It is not normal the way people talk about guns or how they their safety is so strongly dependent on them.

edit on 13-6-2015 by krosnos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I will not reply anymore, I have seen what gun owners do when someone talks about common sense and gun laws..it gets pretty ugly.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

www.theguardian.com...

Some interesting reading above . Australia is a much safer place because of gun control . It goes on to say there is no one solution for all situations . It worked for us , perhaps not eslewhere .

There is no doubt we are much safer here.....in saying that we do not have large sections of society that are so far down the hole of poverty like the states has,from what i can gather it is safer to have a gun in the U.S than not too...pretty sad to see society crumble to that point....

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: krosnos

We have hundreds of "common sense" gun laws that aren't enforced now. Why do you want more laws that wont be enforced?

Oh yeah, it's because you don't give a damn about saving lives, or thr children, you just your utopia ideals heard.

If any of you anti firearm folks cared AT ALL, you'd be DEMANDING that are CURRENT and MANY laws we currently have are ENFORCED to their MAXIMUM extent.

But no, you'd rather call us nutters and rant about needing MORE laws that wont get enforced.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Still beating the same dead horse.

smh

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

A rebuttal of the "research".

Not so fast...

Seems there may have been, not was, but may have been a bit of cherry picking goin' on in the research??? Maybe?

Shocking, isn't it?

That article might well fool people who aren't aware of long term homicide trends in the US, but the simple fact is, overall US homicides have been in sharp decline since the early 1990s. That Connecticut's homicide rate experienced a decline as well is therefore hardly surprising.

This is a case of someone having fun with numbers to score a few cheap political points. The fact that they're cherry picking should be rather obvious given that the cut off at 2005. Its not like they don't have several more years of data. But I guess it doesn't look quite as favorable to their point if you include the rest of it.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What good have your guns done for you? You have sold the constitution down the Swanee River a long time ago. We give up pee without a loud whisper, we let the police with dogs and guns search our bodies and personal property in the name of fear. We have made corporations its own class of royalty with special laws and benefits over the individual. As an old woman who has watched this happen over the last forty years, you deserve to lose your guns and freedom.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm british so what I say goes...and if I lived in the states I would want to be armed.
I would give you all a reason to shout "the british are coming!".
Joking aside I understand why the usa need guns just live and let live op.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
I swore to myself I wouldn't comment in this thread as I am drunk but I had to comment.

Even drunk you made more sense than the doctored stats in the Original Post.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
You're right, law abiding citizens make up the majority of people who "don't get guns by stealing." And even then, most criminals don't get guns by stealing either. They pay other criminals for them. Money, drugs, hookers, whatever. It's still a transaction though.

It's funny that you talk about right wingers, and then go on to post a source from a left wing media outlet about a left wing state.

Then again, your avatar speaks volumes about how you feel about my rights and the rights of others

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

So where do the majority of illegal automatic assault rifles in Mexico originate from............. I wonder?

America

I'd like you to consider researching the failed gun running program known as Fast and Furious.

You may find it a good read. Also if you think military grade weaponry sent to mexico is coming from average citizens, or mom and pop gun stores, then I think you don't really know much about gun running.
edit on 6/13/2015 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join