It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing art, made of BOOKS!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I just saw a TED-talk of this amazing artist, Brian Dettmer, who makes art by cutting out (and thereby) highlighting certain elements he finds interesting from books. The result is pretty amazing. (At least I think so...) For those of you who don't have the time to watch his TED-talk of six minutes on the bottom of this OP, here are a couple of pictures for you to marvel at.

Hope you like it, see you next time!

CerdoFuego
edit on 12/6/15 by Cerdofuego because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/6/15 by Cerdofuego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Cerdofuego

Quite amazing, you would hardly recognize them as books now. Thanks for bringing it to ATS.

As for me I would have a terrible time cutting up a book like that. Heck it is all I can do to throw out a magazine, usually give them to other people to read and they can throw them away if they want too.

If you haven't guessed I don't own an e-reader...much prefer to have that book in my hands when I read.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Now that is sweet!

I really like the second picture a lot, must have taken a hell of an effort!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
wow Beautiful!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

I agree with you that books are objects we form an emotional connection with and can't just cut up. However, if you've watched his Ted-talk, Dettmer makes a really strong point that books are living organisms that evolve with the organisms they serve: us. He wants to emphasize that we humans consume information in a different way in the digital age, but that this doesn't make books; the old way, irrelevant. I love how they too can evolve to something all modern humans can enjoy as a new way of consuming the information and beauty that exists within them.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Yes, I enjoyed the video very much and learning about his process for preparing the books. How do you even know where to start on it. You could see the mixed emotions on some faces in the audience.

Even in college I had a hard time highlighting my textbooks, although I recognized the value of it when studying. My Mom would freak out if you ever dared to dogear a page in a book. Funny how some things are so ingrained in us at a young age.

I do admit that the end results are beautiful.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

top topics

join