It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber investor: the “1099 economy” is here regardless of whether it’s good for workers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Honestly this is a sign of where we are at economically. The recovery is total bs.

source

“I think that this country is going to a place where there are a lot of people doing part time 1099-type work. We see a lot of people doing it from multiple companies. We see somebody who will be a TaskRabbit for one hour and then they’ll drive an Uber for two hours and they’ll do something else for another 1099-type company.”

Be ready to get your hustle on people. Millenials mine as quit college because your going to be a damn servant to this new 1099 economy.

God what a joke.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm not so sure that the independent contractor route is as bad as you may think. I think that the growth in payroll dropouts will instigate some real change in our economy. I am an artisan and rub elbows with a lot of folks that that don't work for three or four months just to pay the IRS money that will eventually be stolen by some over bloated bureaucracy (Military complex).

1099's leave a lot of room for our very own discretion.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Millenials mine as quit college ...

Can we have a clarification of this remark?
What does "mine as quit" mean, for the English-speakers amongst us?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Just pay me in Bitcoin.... or better yet, pay me in MJcoin cointelegraph.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
My suggestion for the Millennials is to get into sales of some kind.

Sincerity is the key and if you can fake that....you got it made!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

What's wrong with 1099 work? I was doing a side job for a while hosting bar trivia, and my boss (really my friend) 1099'd me.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

This is why I failed when I was in sales. I couldn't bring myself to lie about a product that I'd never buy in a million years. Plus I'd always have the Golden Rule chirping in my head while soliciting. Since I don't like being randomly solicited to, I felt like everyone else didn't like it either.
edit on 12-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is why I failed when I was in sales. I couldn't bring myself to lie about a product that I'd never buy in a million years. Plus I'd always have the Golden Rule chirping in my head while soliciting. Since I don't like being randomly solicited to, I felt like everyone else didn't like it either.

But some folks have no qualms about how they "earn" a living.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I mean obviously... I worked in Bank of America's credit card department and there were plenty of people who were successful at the job (and others who'd game the system, like signing someone up for a product without their knowledge). So I'm aware there are plenty of people willing to lie to earn a living. My morals and being a nice guy just prevent me from doing it.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

It is not that easy.

Most of the people I hire think sales is doing the 'bread man route' when a lot of it is more solution selling.

The positive is if you are good then six-figure salaries are a cinch.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
All we have to do is quit our jobs and work for eachother, one week of that and they say..

"Oh #, the power really is in the people! Oops, let's fix this!"

To bad we are so far gone in division and opposition from one another to actually help eachother out like a true species.

They tamed us. And own us. Like pets in a zoo (society).

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
I'm not so sure that the independent contractor route is as bad as you may think. I think that the growth in payroll dropouts will instigate some real change in our economy. I am an artisan and rub elbows with a lot of folks that that don't work for three or four months just to pay the IRS money that will eventually be stolen by some over bloated bureaucracy (Military complex).

Its unworkable because the United States has no guild system for most professions. In order for a 1099 economy to work on a large scale, groups of people in the same industry need to pool insurance, workers comp, unemployment, disability and retirement, like SAG-AFTRA does for its members. Without something like that in place most people will end up not being able to go to the doctor, have no way to save properly for retirement, increased chance of not being approved for unemployment benefits and will always be at risk of being injured on the job having no way to support themselves afterward.

Also, I doubt the Federal government going to be happy with a huge surge of people doing business write offs and not the usual payroll tax, not to mention the whole quarterly tax payment thing. Short term people getting 1099's for the first time in their live are certainly not going to plan for taxes correctly. There will be HUGE tax shortfalls across the board if the 1099 economy becomes mainstream.

BUT, like I said if the United States had a guild system for each sector, that would guide these people to keep them out of tax trouble and provide a means for group insurance rates, it would have a small chance of working. However, American simply aren't financially savvy, nor educated enough to deal with a 1099 business arrangement AND handle their own health insurance, workers comp, unemployment, disability and retirement. Rates for these services would skyrocket in an economy filled mostly with 1099 workers. Its actually a nightmare scenario for simple people that can give an honest days work, but aren't educated or intelligent enough to navigate the business world.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo
Its unworkable because the United States has no guild system...

I'm gonna start a Thieves Guild.

(nerd reference bonus points)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008

omg lmfao roflol

At 3am, after finishing a website template for a client who had to have it “by 6am their time,” I sent an email letting her know that it was finished. The next day I get a call:

CLIENT: I don’t appreciate you staying out all night when you should be working on my project.

ME: I’m sorry? I was working all last night. As you can see, I sent you an e-mail -

CLIENT: I see that. At 3am. Do you think it’s okay to party all night and then work without sleep at 3am? It’s very unprofessional and morally reprehensible.

ME: What makes you think I was out partying?

CLIENT: Why else would you be up at 3am?

ME: You gave my 24 hours to do 18 hours of work. I had to stay up

CLIENT: Don’t try to use math on me!

clients from hell / top stories

One web developer said that the Boomer generation is the worst in not wanting to pay their bills. They want you to drive and work on site, give up all you free time, unlimited revisions, and if they don't actually see sweat they will never believe you actually did any work. We should "be glad for the opportunity". But for free of course. /sarcasm why do we need a contract at all? /end sarcasm

omg lol this so called service economy is hell. Pure, rip you off and exploit the soul out of you hell. When they see you on a computer they think you are "just playing games" and that "this is fun for you". Maybe they will pay you next year, if you do two more logos for free.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 12-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo

Why would a guild system be needed. Myself and hoards of others like me insure ourselves. I set aside money to cover myself for any and all emergencies, and collect interest on that sizable savings. Why would I give any money to a corporate or government entity that in the end won't really take as good care of me as I would.

The corporate and government structure that seems to think that none of us can live without them is being left behind, one independent citizen at a time will change things for the better.

I live a stress free, comfortable life because I refuse to depend on the government to see to my needs.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Life has it's hazards. Being on payroll was more so for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Consider this my application for the guild... Grey Fox.

On Topic: The economy won't change until it's the government coffers that are jeapordized. A new currency would do that. Let's see them tax bits of string.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Aliensun

I mean obviously... I worked in Bank of America's credit card department and there were plenty of people who were successful at the job (and others who'd game the system, like signing someone up for a product without their knowledge). So I'm aware there are plenty of people willing to lie to earn a living. My morals and being a nice guy just prevent me from doing it.

I hear that....

My sales experience came from marketing products my company manufactured. We were damn proud of our stuff and it was easy and a pleasure to sell. Our product design firm was an entrepreneurial dream back when people had disposable income. Times have sure changed! I don't envy the millennials but I still see opportunities everyday for people not afraid to get their hands dirty and work.

Now that I'm Union again with a needed trade...it's all good and I still have a retail space but times are slow for that one.
edit on 12-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I made my money and survived until I have the job I have now. Like I said, earlier I was working bar trivia for a while. I was busing tables for a while too. I just don't want to do sales anymore, because I don't make any money. I can't count the number of times I didn't hit incentives for quotas at BoA and just got my base pay instead of a commission. Of course it didn't help that the quota kept going up month after month, and I was working at BoA in 2007. So we all know how this story ends.

edit on 12-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: boohoo
Its unworkable because the United States has no guild system...

I'm gonna start a Thieves Guild.

There is already a thieves guild. ..it's called the US government.

(nerd reference bonus points)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join