It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP Leader and Activist Outed as White Woman

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
As a follow up to the OP, that chapter of the NAACP still stands by her. They just released a statement showing their support of her. Here's a snippet & I'll provide a link to the full release below.

For 106 years, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has held a long and proud tradition of receiving support from people of all faiths, races, colors and creeds. NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal is enduring a legal issue with her family, and we respect her privacy in this matter. One’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership. The NAACP Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Conference stands behind Ms. Dolezal’s advocacy record. In every corner of this country, the NAACP remains committed to securing political, educational, and economic justice for all people, and we encourage Americans of all stripes to become members and serve as leaders in our organization.

NAACP Statement on Rachel Dolezal
edit on 12-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: clarified my statements because i can do that

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think there is like a 99% chance that you are assessing her statements and reaction correctly, but because of my own experience I can't just write it off; that 1% chance of weirdness happens... I do think that it is likely that there was some abuse in her childhood regardless and so I am inclined to sympathy for that as well. She was wrong to lie with her physical appearance no matter what, but I think that she is... damaged. I feel bad for her.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Honestly. I feel sorry for her. She clearly has deep seated psychological issues....given her background. And her own parents outing her like this after all of this time and pending legal issues is pretty vindictive. Why didn't they intervene when this behavior first started?

Anyways. ...just one more line-blurring, naval-noodling, politically-charged social issue to keep us at each other's throats and distracted from the hijinks of the CorpGov.

edit on 6/12/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: redhorse

No I get you 100%. To me, any credibility she may have had on the issue went out the window with the "we are all from the African continent" line. And that was after seeing the pictures of her as a lily white girl at her wedding and as a teenager.

Seeing her reaction to the questions about her father and being white is just icing to me. That reaction doesn't seem like "that's very personal and you're intruding" but more like "holy crapballs I have no response for this so I better run." If it was a personal thing she wouldn't have been displaying the signs of somebody stalling for time to come up with something. And then running when she couldn't.

Honestly I don't have a problem with this. In America I'm obviously considered "black/African American". But in other countries, I'm considered "colored", "mulatto", or "multiracial" instead of "black", since I can trace the non-African side of my lineage. "Black/negro" is used to mean 100% African in many countries. Either way, it doesn't matter because those are man-made labels created to categorize & oppress undesirable sections of society.

I will always consider myself whichever social class is the lowest, because I would never want to side with the oppressive mindsets. There's a certain man I respect very much who said "the way you treat the least among you is the way you treat me". I decided to live by that. So if this lady or someone else identifies more with "my" people, "our" cultures, or our struggle for equality, then I'm fine with that. I wish her well either way.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I'm curious about that.

Would it be the same if it was a white guy identifying himself as black and living "the thug life?" Is that okay too?

I get your point. And no I'm not just saying that to you and redhorse. I thought of the question earlier and your comment reminded me of it.

Would it be such a non issue if it was a white man coloring his skin and putting his hair in cornrows and being "bout dat life?"

And that's not direct at you specifically. Interested to hear what anybody has to say about it.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Her very own family are suing one another, the family doesn't seem well in terms of relations, It's not hard to see how she's slightly "inconsistent". Maybe this woman stayed with where she felt welcomed? It's not outside the human realm of possibility this kind of behavior, and its certainly closer to the side of being sane than to being insane.

Across America you have black women straightening their hair and getting plastic surgery to feel welcomed among their peers that it can be dangerous for their physical health. Although none of that is necessary in a "better" society, doing it in mass isn't sustainable for social health and individual health if the constantly mounting pressures and realities pushing them to do so continue.

And you make a point with the "we're all from the African continent" being the only line she's comfortable to use.
I feel like this woman has deep issues (and I mean, who doesn't?)

But hopefully while she may find comfort in her new family or some kind of sick pleasure from disowning her parents while using a genuine movement as mere refuge, hopefully she's treating the civil rights and the human rights with the due care and sincerity it demands. While she is in full rights to feel however she may about her personal life and other comforts gained in her career path.

Even with these revelations of her story, it's important to remember that it's possible to have one parent who is of Mayan descent, one who is Berber, Sub-Saharan African, Nordic, Chinese, and a parent or both who are mixed as well. Because It's not like we are different species, although many people are unfortunate to be in a situation where they don't get the chance or experience to understand that.

Sitting in front of a check box with different races without an option to pick more than one is a very stupid feeling that the designer of a form could not consider something like that yet asks for ethnicity.

If she is treating her career honestly, then this story is a non issue.
They should find who sent her threatening messages and expose them and that's that.
edit on 2015 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I'm curious about that.

Would it be the same if it was a white guy identifying himself as black and living "the thug life?" Is that okay too?

I get your point. And no I'm not just saying that to you and redhorse. I thought of the question earlier and your comment reminded me of it.

Would it be such a non issue if it was a white man coloring his skin and putting his hair in cornrows and being "bout dat life?"

And that's not direct at you specifically. Interested to hear what anybody has to say about it.

I think "the thug life" is just wrong period. Not positive and really, in my limited experience I wouldn't call that black culture. If that white guy wants to identify with that and the cultural group accepts him then... whatever... That's his choice I guess. I think that plenty of people on both sides of the color line would be offended by it, and probably ridicule him, but it isn't as culturally (or even politically) threatening as what we are seeing with Rachel Dolezal. She is in a leadership position with a civil rights organization, and one with some considerable heft.

Where things start to get messy on that is when white people adopt aspects of black culture and then profit from it; which is one interpretation of what she has done. That's when phrases like "cultural appropriation" start to get tossed around.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I'm curious about that.

The first mistake you're making is assuming "that thug life/being bout dat life" has anything to do with being "black". That's a mental subculture which is literally global now. That's like me saying only "white" people can credibly wear overalls, live on farms, or have country accents. Don't forget, most "black" people around the world have nothing to do with the hip hop subculture. Just look at the Presidents of Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, and South Sudan & tell me they're not "black" because they don't "live that life". lol

I get the point you're trying to make so I'm not judging you on it. But I want you to understand the differences between stereotypes and reality. My own "black" father has a doctorate degree, is a professor & Imam & teaches at a certain college I won't name. While I, on the other hand, willingly stayed in the streets most of my life. Neither of our situations makes us any more or less "black".

As for "white" people who identify with the hip hop subculture: I have no problems with it since it's just music & a lifestyle. Youth from every culture likes to rebel from traditional ways. And hip hop just happens to be one of the world's most popular countercultures right now. So I have no problem with that.

I only have a problem when people say they're "black" and/or "down with the cause" when things are going well, then change positions during hard times. But that's not a race issue, that's a "backstabbing" issue. As MLK once said (I'm paraphrasing), "it's not the words of our opponents that we'll remember; it's the silence of our friends."

That's why I'll never accept Bill Clinton as "the 1st black president", because he never was there for the minority communities during hard times. He just played a saxophone on the Arsenio Hall show, flirted with African American women, and talked in a charming fashion to get our votes. But when we needed help on social issues & issues regarding our unequal treatment by law enforcement & the judicial system, he was noticeably quiet (the sitting President couldn't issue executive orders against that crap?!?!). So he joked about being "black" when it was convenient for him, but remembered he could be "white" when being "black" was controversial or inconvenient.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
Also, on a side note: I think it is hilarious that she managed to get to such a high position with this charade, and now tolerant NAACP members are calling for her to be removed and are upset she got this position. This whole story is a freaking gold mine

No they are not calling for her removal they said she did a good job, plus whites are not barred from leadership positions in the NAACP they helped formed that organization.
However lying is lying and many should rightly have an issue with that, same as lying about your quals and education etc, another reason I disagree with the term "Black" culture cannot tie culture to a color that is ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Uh. No. Your first mistake is in assuming that I subscribe to the idea that "dat life" is black only.

For the sake of the example, I said what I said.

Given what I do for a living, I deal with the entire spectrum of humans. Every color, every creed, and identifying themselves as any number of other cultures.

But that's not my point. My point is a white guy coloring his skin and identifying himself as black and living the thug life as a black male. Is that still okay? Or is what this woman did not really a big deal because hey she's done good things. Might be a bit mixed up, but she does good things.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Uh. No. Your first mistake is in assuming that I subscribe to the idea that "dat life" is black only.

For the sake of the example, I said what I said.

Given what I do for a living, I deal with the entire spectrum of humans. Every color, every creed, and identifying themselves as any number of other cultures.

But that's not my point. My point is a white guy coloring his skin and identifying himself as black and living the thug life as a black male. Is that still okay? Or is what this woman did not really a big deal because hey she's done good things. Might be a bit mixed up, but she does good things.

How am I making a mistake or assuming when that's what your question was? I didn't assume anything, I replied to what you typed. If you meant something different, why not type it?

I'm curious about that. Would it be the same if it was a white guy identifying himself as black and living "the thug life?" Is that okay too?

You're the one who kept linking being "black" and "thug life/bout dat life", so I responded to what you typed.

Also, "white" people color their skin all the time. You've surely seen the orange "tan" sprays, tanning booths, etc. I've even seen "white" people color their skin blues & other colors at sporting events. I don't have a problem with that. And as I actually typed, I don't have a problem with people adopting hip hop culture either.

As for "white" people considering themselves "black". I don't care about that either. It's a man-made term created to divide & oppress people. If someone identifies with it, then so be it. However, like I also typed, I only have a problem with people accepting the "perceived pro's" of being "black", while turning a blind eye to the negative issues related to being considered "black".

I was very clear with my words so why are you acting confused by them? I even posted earlier what my exact feelings are in regards to the woman in the OP.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
So a spray tan and perm fried hair now make you African American? She obviously has psychological issues. But based on this comment:

[ex]Rachel’s mother, Ruthanne Dolezal, said Thursday by phone from her home in Northwest Montana that her daugther began to “disguise herself” in 2006 or 2007, after the family had adopted four African-American children.www.jammiewf.com...

Somehow she identified with the African race. It's a conundrum if I ever saw one. Did she want and try to help the African American people? Yes, she lied and misled. But was if for personal gain?

Do we trust the wolves in sheep's clothing (politicians) or the sheep in sheep's clothing?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

a reply to: redhorse

No I get you 100%. To me, any credibility she may have had on the issue went out the window with the "we are all from the African continent" line. And that was after seeing the pictures of her as a lily white girl at her wedding and as a teenager.

Seeing her reaction to the questions about her father and being white is just icing to me. That reaction doesn't seem like "that's very personal and you're intruding" but more like "holy crapballs I have no response for this so I better run." If it was a personal thing she wouldn't have been displaying the signs of somebody stalling for time to come up with something. And then running when she couldn't.

Well according to scientist all people started out from there and moved out into the world from there....so take that as you will. At base level we are all just ONE RACE and thats HUMANS. Stop buying into this crap of color.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
if she was well intentioned, she wouldn't of had to hide it. It's obv tho NAACP has been infiltrated by people who felt threatened by them. Probably happened years ago & they ran out of puppets. Had to use her. Family is suing because of liability issues with all the lies.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
She's like:

Got my crazy super permed hair did.... check
Got my 2 shades too dark foundation on...check
Got my accent on point... check
Dating a black guy.... check.

Yep... I'm black now.

edit on 13-6-2015 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

Honestly, it's not much different to me than brown skinned people who bleach their skin & straighten their hair or get blonde wigs. Or light skinned people who get tans/fake tans, then use phrases they heard in their favorite rap song. Or people with freckles who use excessive makeup to conceal them. Or people who anglicize their names to fit in with their new communities.

The point is that people of all walks of life can feel out of place among "their own". And if they can find other people who are willing to accept them, who are we to judge them? I appreciate the fact that she at least "walked the walk" and actually went out of her way to help minority communities.

It's crazy that I'm defending her so much because I don't know her or even care much for the NAACP. My parents are card carrying members but I've always steered clear of them. I think it's because I actually know quite a few white women who felt uncomfortable about their body images with other white people, but were gladly accepted by African Americans and other ethnic minorities. In short, their families & extended families considered them "fat" & would always pressure them to lose weight or diet. But we thought they were pleasantly "thick" & accepted them as they were (ok ok, I'll be blunt: they had "booties" not "hineys" or "bums", which they were always told was a bad thing lol).

So I guess I can empathize with her because I've seen similar situations before.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I watched a friend of my son do a similar transformation during college. Her parents thought it was a phase, like dying her hair purple had been in high school.
That was 12 years ago and as far as I know, she's still living in Oregon working on a farm and portraying herself as black. I seriously doubt she's ever actually claimed to be African-American, she just presents herself that way.
If this young lady has gained federal or state grants limited to specific races by lying about her heritage, she has committed fraud. It seems that might be where the liabilities concerning the parents lie. They don't want to be held liable because she committed fraud in lying about her ancestry.
To me it seems that if a DNA test showed even the tiniest bit of African heritage, she would have whipped out that DNA report the first time someone questioned her on the issue. It's what I would do.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm acting confused because you're tap dancing around the question.

Never mind.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The comments and memes about this on the web are hilarious but ruthless. I worry for this obviously mixed up girl...does she deserve such derision and public backlash? So sad that her own parents brought it to light.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

My point is a white guy coloring his skin and identifying himself as black and living the thug life as a black male.

You mean a dude, disguised as a dude, playing another dude?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join