It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New peer reviewed study: Autism is correlated with parental age.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
source

In an new study from "The Journal of Molecular Psychiatry", a correlation with ASD diagnosis is found with older parental age.
Researchers were also surprised to find a correlation with younger parental age. They were quick to speculate on why the correlation would be with teen pregnancies. They speculate that the teens don't get to see the Dr. as much, which puts the baby at a higher risk.

“The size of the study speaks to the definitiveness of the findings,” says co-author Michael Rosanoff, director of public health research for Autism Speaks, the organization that funded the study.

It also turned up some new correlations: In addition to finding that autism rates were 66 percent higher among children born to dads over the age of 50 than those in their 20s (and 28 percent higher for dads in their 40s), researchers found rates were 18 percent higher with teen moms than those with moms in their 20s.

Looking at higher risk among teen moms, Rosanoff adds, scientists believe age itself might point to a “suboptimal pregnancy,” with less medical monitoring and higher health risks in general.

Also, autism rates were 15 percent higher in children born to mothers in their 40s — and higher than usual when there were wide gaps, of 10 years or more, between parents. That was especially true when dads were between 35 and 44 and their partners were at least a decade younger.

So there you have it. Older parents... it's something you did. Dad is 35 and mom is 25? That is correlated with ASD too. Teens... it's your poor decision making not getting to the Dr. And for the rest of you out there thinking of having children... The exponential rise in immune system dysfunction is a problem with your genes.

So for anyone that is concerned that the increasing vaccine exposure is causing bad heath outcomes... remember. Correlation isn't causation.

Clearly the answer is to not have children... but make sure to visit the Dr. frequently to get the latest recommended treatments.
edit on 12-6-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

They love throwing new answers for the rising autism rates at the wall to see if they will stick enough to pull all of the bad press off of vaccines today. Old parents, young parents...."peer reviewed"...my foot, the ol boys club has plenty of paid peers to review anything they come up with now dont they.

Thanks for the OP

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Clearly the answer is to not have children... but make sure to visit the Dr. frequently to get the latest recommended treatments.

Bill Gates would be proud!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
We already know other diseases and disorders are associated with parental age. Take Down's Syndrome for example. So should it e so surprising rigid Autism is te same?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Toxins.

As we get older, our bodies gather more and more baggage and frankly, a lot of people don't really take care of their health. Viruses affect DNA, so vaccines too. Add on top of that glysophates, pollution, radiation and what else!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
We already know other diseases and disorders are associated with parental age. Take Down's Syndrome for example. So should it e so surprising rigid Autism is te same?

Why is ASD also correlated with teen pregnancy? The genetic factor decorrelates.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
Toxins.

As we get older, our bodies gather more and more baggage and frankly, a lot of people don't really take care of their health. Viruses affect DNA, so vaccines too. Add on top of that glysophates, pollution, radiation and what else!

Why is ASD correlating with teen pregnancy? The age factor decorrelates.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

good thing correlation doesn't equal causation.

If teen pregnancy caused ASD, there must have been a lot of autism in the middle ages.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

good thing correlation doesn't equal causation.

If teen pregnancy caused ASD, there must have been a lot of autism in the middle ages.

That's common sense. It has no place in peer reviewed scientific discourse.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Fail.
edit on 12-6-2015 by Iamthatbish because: didn't feel like ellaborating like the premise needed

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I work with people with Autism and this has made me wonder and frankly believe it from experience.
We do have a few dudes whose parents did have them at an older age.
Gonna show everyone at work this interesting stuff cheers.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

How nice, let go after the parents age in a confusing medical explanation to keep baling out vaccination as the fault of the growing autism in the nation that actually goes hand in hand with mass vaccination increase.

Parent, Doctor why is my child autistic
Doctor, because is your fault

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

How nice, let go after the parents age in a confusing medical explanation to keep baling out vaccination as the fault of the growing autism in the nation that actually goes hand in hand with mass vaccination increase.

Parent, Doctor why is my child autistic
Doctor, because is your fault

That would be the apparent theme. But correlation isn't causation.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I work with people with Autism and this has made me wonder and frankly believe it from experience.
We do have a few dudes whose parents did have them at an older age.
Gonna show everyone at work this interesting stuff cheers.

Show them it is their decisions that made the difference. Hopefully they will return to their baseline mental state and quit asking questions. If that does not occur, they should visit the Dr. immediately. There are treatments available for that.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The older you get the more toxic foods you have eaten and this can cause more problems with changes in DNA. now, if they took the crap out of the food, the problems wouldn't be there so much. Testing of safety of food is done on short term use, basicly if you do not show physical signs in a day or two, the added food chemistry is considered GRAS. Unless of course, they have found that these chemicals do cause cancer at a high risk at which point they usually silently take it off the market. This removal of a chemistry silently has happened many times over the years.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

This research provides the jumping off point to answer that question. One commonality I see between younger and older parents is brain devlopment. A person's brain doesn't fully develop until around age 21. And as a person ages we also see decreases in cognitive ability. Recent research shows that this decrease comes with genetic changes. So perhaps this could explain why we see the increase in these age groups.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Nonsense.

I wonder how many of those research participants vaccinated their children?

Researches continue to ignore the big pink gorilla in the room. Only a process of elimination will put to rest the questions concerning the cause of the skyrocketing number of autistic children in the world.

A comparison study of vaccinated and vaccine free would be fairly simple and put to rest once and for all the questions and suspicions of vaccines being the instigator of auto immune disabilities. Findings either way is fine by me. You just have to wonder why it still has not been done.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Frankly the parents I talk to never ask why, they accept their Kids (now adults) as who they are.
If you all just keep on wanting to blame vaccines when vaccines are nothing to do with it please continue with your ignorance.
No one at my work thinks vaccines cause autism, I brought it up in my Autism training and was laughed at.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

For all we know there could have been. At thee same time though society was different at that time. They may have been forced to cope with their disorder or die. It's been speculated that many of the great geniuses through time displayed behavior consistent with being on the spectrum.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Without a doubt.
Some on the spectrum are geniuses, I don't think we would have the advancements we have today without people with autism.

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh and I urge everyone to watch the film about Temple Grandin.

www.imdb.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join