It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice, Political Correctness, and My Poor, Poor Exploding Brain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I hate being on a differing side of an issue than you... lol

About manspreading: perhaps the law of taking more than one seat was in place, but it became this social media, and therefore msm, firebrand due to these man---ing types crusading to stop all things masculine...I mean, stopping at a stoplight is the law, but if they call running a redlight, "manstopping"...suddenly there is an issue.

It didn't though, that is my point. Gaming is the only place it's seeped out into the mainstream... other than that it's still stuck where it's always been, academia and social justice issues, which I suppose the later helps leak it into the mainstream too with all the protesting and organizing that's been going on over the past few years. You're only more acutely aware because you're a male gamer, just as I'm more acutely aware of the step up in misogyny because I'm a female gamer.

Manspreading... I think the word is hilarious not because I hate men but because I adore them and even at my age I appreciate new buzzwords. I also take public transportation a lot, men do this... I get why they do it, but often times it's excessive and men being people and therefore capable of being rude will sometimes sit between two people on a crowded train and spread eagle forcing them to scoot over. It's not any more obnoxious than not taking off your backpack even though it keeps bopping someone in the face but if someone asked me to list rude behaviors that people shouldn't do manspreading would be one... because the unwritten social rule is if you can't fit, don't sit down.

The atrocity isn't the word, it's not even the rudeness of whatever you're doing wrong on the train... it's the criminalizing of all of it, whether it's manspreading or not taking off your backpack that is atrocious. Yet here we are arguing whether men are being emasculated. Because of a buzzword.

And truthfully, I think all this is hype, hyping up the SJW "plague" to attack feminism in general. When I read articles like Jeb Bush stating that his opinion on single mothers hasn't changed the comment sections are full of men saying watch out the SJW pieces of sht are coming (I mean dozens of comments of that nature, all using the term SJW), except they don't, it ends up being a few people here and there relating how they're a single mom and doing just fine without welfare or how they were raised by a single mom etc...

Something stinks and I don't think it's just the SJWs. I've seen (several now) liberal/progressive men become obsessed with this, using sources they would never touch before, to attack SJWs. Sources like the Blaze, PJ Media, Breitbart. That is worrisome.

ETA: At this point barring something I feel really compelled to respond to or to answer a direct question, I will bow out of this thread because I think at this point we're beginning to run in circles. I can see that neither you nor Hefficide are anti-women so I don't feel compelled to 'fight'.
edit on 6/15/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

There was no desire at all to fight when I posted this. The phenomenon literally confused the HELL out of me and I still don't quite get it, other than it's PC identity politics taken to absolutely irrational levels.

It isn't for lack of trying. I've spent days on Youtube watching different commentaries - and they almost all seem to end up in some form of gender biased rant. Having watched hours worth of "explanations" - I'm still confused.

Maybe I've reached that point ( I'll be 49 in a few weeks ) where I've gotten too old to identify with youth and now I've turned into that old man who would scream at me, when I was 18, that my rock music was nothing but noise... while I would stare back, stunned, thinking "Don't you hear the AWESOME in this??? Man these are talented musicians!"

FTR: I LOVE women, probably too much. LOL

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: hefficide

I know it wasn't your intention. I think, I hope it will fade back to where it was before.

Men are awesome too

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
ETA: At this point barring something I feel really compelled to respond to or to answer a direct question, I will bow out of this thread because I think at this point we're beginning to run in circles. I can see that neither you nor Hefficide are anti-women so I don't feel compelled to 'fight'.

ok, I think the major difference is this:
You are saying "they're idiot minority radicals with loud voices that is best ignored"
I am saying "They're idiot minority radicals with loud voices...lets kick their butts"

One point I want to address, as it drives me bonkers:

mi·sog·y·ny
məˈsäjənē/Submit
noun
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

This is the definition of misogyny. having sideboob in a game is not misogyny. having women as a literal object (witcher 1 card collecting objectification of sexual conquests) isn't misogyny. sexist? perhaps...sure, why not. sexism in itself is also a 2 way street, and is not actually innately bad. Its stereotyping overall, and although stereotyping is rarely a great thing, it is sometimes "benevolent"..as in having "traditional" manners (opening doors for women, etc)...stereotypical sexism that is also fully accepted.
men like looking at women, women like looking at men, and anyone shaming outlets for this needs to get back to the nunnery. Now, not every single game needs to have gigantic swaying bewbs and rippling abs on shirtless men, but a lot of 18-108 group likes that, hense why it is in a lot of games

In regards to using things from things like brietbart:...ok, this is true. I know why also. Gaming had their Jack Thompson reincarnation pop up in the form of femfreq and johnathan mcintosh. but unlike the 90s where games journalists stood with their audience and fought these allagations, they turned on their audience. gamers are over, etc.
this "liberal media" blitz really alienated a large audience..and who of course seen a opening to influence a huge swath of younger than 60 voters?..of course the right. Milo blazed in and became a gamer (something he actively insulted before) just to solidify up his gamer cred and fight loudly against the "sjw" push into gaming.
And frankly, in regards to gamers, it isn't about politics, its about people backing out of the creative medium. I agree with em
if liberal media outlets were suddenly in favor of getting social security tattoos across our head, and hannity opposed it, I would be totally standing with hannity by default. I would consider myself still a liberal, I would just be seeing the media that is pretending liberalism has been taken over by authoritarians (the opposite of what a liberal is meant to be).

I am watching E3. it is countless games with mutual fem/male protags. gaming is diverse, its always been..it favors men of course due to men being the main demographic (not including browser/mobile games like candy crush or farmville)..but there has always been and continues to be growing, female protags or shared...and pretty much everyone loves this ongoing development..because it is reflective of indeed more females getting into gaming...
and gamer dudes like me love gamer chicks to play with in general.

btw...
Fallout 4...holy fraksocks!!! you see the E3 stuff?
it is all things holy!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: hefficide

There was no desire at all to fight when I posted this. The phenomenon literally confused the HELL out of me and I still don't quite get it, other than it's PC identity politics taken to absolutely irrational levels.

I am of the opinion that PC means manners. dont refer to black people as "them" or "those people", etc..dont think a womans place is anywhere outside of wherever she wants to be.
But it is not PC to insinuate being a man in general, or having "privilege" based on your skin color, gender, etc should make you feel somehow bad or a big jerk just by nature...and there are plenty who are pushing this mindset under the guise of being PC.
that to me needs a new title, because thats a lot of things, but not what PC is meant to be.

I may be a straight white man, but my past has circumstances that will make the most harshest of western sob stories look like fairy tales. I dont even talk about it, nor demand it makes me a forever victim, you work past it and keep going, build up, and dont surrender. this is not a privileged life, it is a life based on what I make of it.

I have no friends or ppl that know me that even for a second think I am a misogynist...and my friend groups is more women than men. sexist...sure..but they are far worse than me (seriously..women can be downright crude in groups. lol)..but thats all equal fun without any seriousness.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX holy crap I'm gonna miss ea I think cuz I'm out shopping grr. I'm using misogyny correct cuz I'm referring to men's hatred of women being more prevalent, not game content
. I'd be interested in fallout 4 if they were turning it into an mmo (would be epic).

ETA Made it home just in time... #fallenempire up next

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

edit on 6 15 1515 by amberinsc because: none

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I've been drooling over the Fallout 4 Pipboy edition. I'm busily talking myself into the notion that it's worth 119 bucks to have my own armband that can house my phone and a Pipboy app.

As far as Gamergate goes? My thoughts are simple. Teenage boys are the predominant demographic for online games. Thus you're going to get the kind of BS that teenage boys say. All their anti-female angst actually adds up to "I want to be nice to you, but the other guys would pick on me cuz cooties... but GOD I HATE BEING A VIRGIN".

Back in the day, on IRC I used to Nuke the jerks offline. After they had to reconnect to the channel a few times, they'd give up. Ironically now DDoS'ing seems to be a cheating technique... lag the other team for the win. Lame.

All that being said - I have an avoidance of online gaming. Games, for me, are stress reduction and I'd feel awful playing a game where my random, homicidal hack and slash caused some poor soul to lose their last six months of character building simply because I wanted to go nuts and kill everything in sight.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: hefficide Teenage boys are the predominant demographic for online games. Thus you're going to get the kind of BS that teenage boys say. All their anti-female angst actually adds up to "I want to be nice to you, but the other guys would pick on me cuz cooties... but GOD I HATE BEING A VIRGIN".

I guess I must have a good filter on my twitters. I dont use tumbler or facebook. the GG folks I watch tend to be clever and articulate. a pretty even split of men and women, totalbiscuit, liana kurzweil, cultofvivian, jennifer d'aww, oliver campbell, etc. good vocal intelligent people making valid points.
I avoid the poopslinging folks (although I do have a fondness for shoe0nhead. she is brilliant..and a liberal anti-authoritian..totally wildly rude, yet funny as hell).

I just dont see the "its a hate group" stuff. Yeah, they hate the antics of very specific individuals. Femfreq, Wu, Harper, Mcintosh, moviebob, etc..but certainly not a gender, or even social activism as a whole. most are a fan of proper activism and dare I say, left leaning policys.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I'd be interested in fallout 4 if they were turning it into an mmo (would be epic).

We can no longer be friends!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The only gamer channel I subscribe to is AlphaOmegaSin - and that's just because he's an angry metalhead and he makes me laugh. Most of the channels I subscribe to are tech related ( linustechtips, Jayztwocents, barnaclesnerdgasm, etc ) so most of the gaming videos I end up watching are a direct result of me looking for hints when I get stuck in a game.

Having said that, I did end up on a yellow brick road of sorts recently when I saw a "live swatting" video pop-up, which then led to more "swatting" vids, which then led to my finding out that there are apparently a lot of people who use Twitch to make money by playing Modern Warfare online - which led to watching the videos to see why in the name of God anyone would pay to see somebody else playing Modern Warfare... which then led me into the rabbit hole of listening to a LOT of "live gaming" sessions.

From what I saw and heard... kids.

My other experience is totally based in watching my youngest nephew play Halo with his headset/microphone on and the reality that nobody was using it for any sort of game based communication - IE coordinating attacks, etc. They just talk massive amounts of smack.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I haven't been able to play any other type of game since I started playing MMO's... nothing else feels so immersive. Well ok except bejeweled 3 but I do that for my SA.

Saturn... you know it'd be the sht!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

No, it isn't just you. Everything is so politically charged, over dramatic to the point of absurdity.

You have to be so very careful of everything you say to people. Everything is offensive.

It gives me headaches to no end. I'm so glad I am getting close to retiring from my job. It's a powder keg of political correctness and people snitching on each other. Most of us are terrified if we look at someone the wrong way that we'll lose our job. I feel bad for the young people that will have to navigate this minefield for a long time. At my age, I'm getting sick and tired of it.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: hefficide

The only gamer channel I subscribe to is AlphaOmegaSin -

I love AOS. good guy. his hololens rambling was amusing to watch.

Might I suggest to you then Razorfist

metalhead, gamer, articulate, and quite amusing in a raging kinda way.

Having said that, I did end up on a yellow brick road of sorts recently when I saw a "live swatting" video pop-up, which then led to more "swatting" vids,

Baphomet. f@^%ing chan culture. they are a neutral sub-chan filled with freaking 15 year olds doxxing and swatting people just for fun. fun being the equal of a group of bullys getting together to stuff firecrackers in frogs and stuff, just online now adays. no movement or anything associated with them, just non-attentive parents.
I get such joy and happiness when I hear of the increasing big arrests on swatters and the years they are being sentenced to. I mean, it sucks I guess, these kids would have eventually grown up and maybe reflected on their lunacy as a kid, but still..a strong showing must be made for these acts. in a age where daily we become more digital, when the average persons phone can cause havoc for people a thousand miles away with a single anonymous text, a iron fist must be the consequence for such abuses if only to dissuade others and turning online into chaos.

One thing though, people really need to protect their identity a bit more online though. most of these situations come from very easily gained info. whois, paypal info with full name email addys, etc.

which then led to my finding out that there are apparently a lot of people who use Twitch to make money by playing Modern Warfare online - which led to watching the videos to see why in the name of God anyone would pay to see somebody else playing Modern Warfare...

Well, plenty of ppl making money off twitch. lots are troll donations with the big numbers, like when you see people donate tens of thousands of dollars, it is usually just a troll, but plenty do get hit with 500-1k now and then. typically females get those big numbers on a consistant basis, but plenty of guys get consistant streams of 50$+ all the time. that isn't the main revenue though, its usually subscriptions and ads that pay for "professional streamers".
I stream now and then, but I dont have any donation method hooked up. just stream for fun and to share games I enjoy playing. its more fun with people interacting..if the people aren't gigantic douches anyhow.

My other experience is totally based in watching my youngest nephew play Halo with his headset/microphone on and the reality that nobody was using it for any sort of game based communication - IE coordinating attacks, etc. They just talk massive amounts of smack.

Halo is xbox.
online console communities are kids. just a bunch of kids and yeah, that is a cess pool of kidlike behavior, smacktalk, sexism, trolling, etc. Its a pretty well known phenomona actually. Ask some gamer girls who have experienced the differences and typically the experience is with pc gaming, fun..occasional mild jerk, but usually a group of fairly decently behaved people enjoying a game. Go then on xbox or something and its a bunch of foul mouthed kids and tweens being just absolutely terrible.
hense why PC Master Race wins on just soo many fronts. Friends dont let friends become consolers

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I haven't been able to play any other type of game since I started playing MMO's... nothing else feels so immersive. Well ok except bejeweled 3 but I do that for my SA.

Saturn... you know it'd be the sht!

no
NO!
everyone wants multiplayer TES or Fallout. invite into your world your best friend or two. a mmo?...they tried that and made ESO..and it was, as predicted, absolutely terrible!

They have post-apoc mmo's..and it is meh..its a mmo
mmo's are terrible. sub-par graphics, endless dull fetch quests, horrible people, hackers, exploiters, roleplay ruiners, etc.
Fallout universe is special because you are the special person, you are the hero of the wasteland, you are the vault dweller, you are the one influencing the fate of the world singlehandedly.
a mmo makes you just a npc without any real point.

No. NO!!! No more mmo's for bethesda. their claim to fame is making a personal world for you. I would totally love..love multiplayer option so other friends can come into my game, as a companion to my personal story, but otherwise. shoo...no.
play dying light. you will see how this can be achieved perfectly. you and a few of your closest friends having a great time in a ultimately personal world that doesn't hold back graphics or quest potential.
MMOs are terrible. you want interactive chatroom with graphics and fun freedom, play secondlife. -grumps-

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Social engineering works.

I don't think it has. What it does show is how utterly nonsensical the 'most' advanced civilization on the planet has become.

Thousands of years of evolution has brought us to this point. Although now people are no longer evolving.

Through politics,through main stream media,through 'education'. Through social media.

The only place society is going now is down hill.

Mankind was once immortalized as the 'dominant' species on the globe.

Now they are nothing but sheep being led around by their noses.

The hive mind, and all. Going Baaa. Baaaa.
edit on 16-6-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Tell me how you really feel! LOL!

SW:ToR is F2P, come try it

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Watch out, World of Warcraft stole the better part of my twenties away from me.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I've been playing MMOs for 11 years, I got this

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Hefficide

This is now the second time I'm stealing this quote (with permission)... I love it.

"Because people on the internet like to exaggerate to convert people to their view points... otherwise their precious little microcosm they've created might be shattered completely.

People on the internet with an agenda? Never!

There aren't feminazis running everywhere. Gay people are not trying to molest your children. Black people are not conspiring against white people. Social justice warriors are confined to a handful of crappy tumblr blogs. Political correctness is not literally hitler or that big of a problem in general. Etc... etc... "

I don't know. In my NGO and government work there are SJWs everywhereeeeee. In fact, half of my current office might fit that label.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join