It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

originally posted by: Bilk22
Was looking at the Mandela Effect site and it states that John Lennon's death was December 8th, 1980? I remember the day he was shot vividly. I went to visit my folks and when I walked into the kitchen, they had the TV on with the report of the shooting being broadcast. My mother looked at me and said "Did you hear? John Lennon was shot." I was devastated. The door to the yard from the kitchen was open. It was a warm sunny day and I was in shorts. I walked out on to the back porch and I sat there and cried. December 8th? Really?

Yep, I was home from college for the SUMMER. Not Christmas break... well, it wouldn't have been Christmas break on December 8th anyway. I would have been knee-deep in exams... three hours away from home.

But I clearly remember driving into my neighborhood when it came on the radio. And I was home for summer break.
Yeah I was still college too and living away year round. That day I took a ride to see my folks. The shooting took place only a few minutes before I drove into the driveway because it was breaking news on the TV. My mother said they just interrupted a show she was watching. It was Summer. Man what world was I living on then? LOL

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Was looking at the Mandela Effect site and it states that John Lennon's death was December 8th, 1980? I remember the day he was shot vividly. I went to visit my folks and when I walked into the kitchen, they had the TV on with the report of the shooting being broadcast. My mother looked at me and said "Did you hear? John Lennon was shot." I was devastated. The door to the yard from the kitchen was open. It was a warm sunny day and I was in shorts. I walked out on to the back porch and I sat there and cried. December 8th? Really?

Yep, I was home from college for the SUMMER. Not Christmas break... well, it wouldn't have been Christmas break on December 8th anyway. I would have been knee-deep in exams... three hours away from home.

But I clearly remember driving into my neighborhood when it came on the radio. And I was home for summer break.
Yeah I was still college too and living away year round. That day I took a ride to see my folks. The shooting took place only a few minutes before I drove into the driveway because it was breaking news on the TV. My mother said they just interrupted a show she was watching. It was Summer. Man what world was I living on then? LOL

I dunno but I came from there too! Miss it sometimes. This one's kinda crazy, eh?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

Ah, well in a sense it is the same... we give definition to everything in our environment, this definition doesn't actually define it... but gives a general description of it's relative existence and the effects it might have on other things existent. Much like blanket, cover, duvet, comforter, quilt etc. all basically define a rectangular shaped swath of material to cover oneself during rest. It's just a quick identifier that does not really identify it in actual reality, but conceptual reality... have to know the word for the mind to go oh, yeah THAT thing.

The flip of the coin that was mentioned by the other poster was suggesting, the coin is flipped on all of the objects and not all of them make the flip that define them as once recalled... statistically, if it were such a flip then more things would fail the test and make the theory of this phenomena fact, that everyone can not only observe quite often without even looking for it because of the 50/50 odds of everything being slightly off in reality would occur at a higher frequency.

It is therefore easier to grasp that it is not the coin flipping that changes things in ones experience, that if you are keen enough can spot and find... but it is instead you that flips and nothing else really changes.

Of course, that does not rule out the possibility that we can collectively flip and experience something like the Berenstain Bears as a new reality... that of course would mean something had to have occurred to change the timeline that created some changes to the base reality from what was previously remembered... as said there are plausible reasons given for such things... to cause a plausible doubt in the recall of such things, age could be a factor that can cause the experience to be dismissed out of hand.

For example; people remembering Mandela's funeral could be actually remembering the event of his release instead, as it was a very big deal at the time.

Of course, I could be a devils advocate of either side... because not only do I distinctly recall Berenstein Bears instead, of what it is now... I have noticed other things, but I dismiss those out of my memory is on the decline so my recall is possibly faulty... the most common I one run across though is spelling, I have been reading and writing an inordinate amount much higher than the average person... but I have noticed some words are no longer spelled the way I have always seen them and I could have sworn, Sally Ride died in the Challenger explosion along side of the two teachers and others on board.

But in any case, here are some words no longer spelled as I recall...

Mould... from casting materials, it's now just mold like the fungus.
Lying instead of lieing
Fly Agaric mushroom instead of Fly Argic mushroom
Axons instead of Axions
A hold instead of Ahold
Indistinguishable instead of Indistinguishible
Resemblance instead of Resemblence
Explanation instead of Explaination
Consider instead of Concider

There's others I can't recall at the moment... of course, again all this could just be from faulty memory... it's just an oddity to have the red squiggles for misspellings coming up way more frequent on words they never came up on before, then not looking right on correction... I mean even mispelling looks right to me as it is how I automatically type it, every single time instead of misspelling. A couple of them that are red squiggled as I type this? Resemble +nce the E is already there resembl +ance? Don't think so. Explain +ation dropped for Explan +ation? Where did the "I" go out of explain? As that's it's root... explative isn't the root for explaining... notice adding ing doesn't drop the "I"... Makes no sense to me personally, especially when I run across something that was always spelled the way I recall, like the Berenstein Bears; but is now wrong... in other recollections other than just my own.

I suppose until a lot of people can pop up and say; Nope, I always remembered it as Berenstain Bears? It's best to go with the more probable explanation of faulty memory, as to not drive oneself into madness...

Anyone else run across any other words like this, or remember the same ones I have listed?

I've just decided to fence sit with this one, for the time being... til more data can be gathered.

edit on 13-6-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: typo

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Explain +ation dropped for Explan +ation? Where did the "I" go out of explain

It was never spelt "explaination"
I am going from memory now, not going to look them up in case I create more glitches on the web.

Mould means the fungis mold means to shape

Axons instead of Axions

They are 2 separate meaning words, no correlation to each other

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
Or, you know, memory.

Exactly, after all, what is more likely, your memory is not perfect, or the whole continent of Australia moved?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: metamagic

Is it the most likely explanation? Or is the multiverse theory that foreign to you that the thousands of people that recall a certain event wrong?

Seems like the possibility scares some people so much that it has to be wrong. Occam's razor is heuristic. One shouldn't forget that.

Also, continental drift would dictate that Australia has moved. What's in question is by how much and where to.

edit on 6/13/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I dunno but I came from there too! Miss it sometimes. This one's kinda crazy, eh?
I miss it always. Funny thing but I was a little too young for The Beatles being born in 1960 and also being the oldest of the kids. However most all of my friends had older siblings and so that's what hooked me into the music scene of the time. Heck I remember standing in the street when my best friends brothers were leaving for Woodstock in their VW van and wishing I was able to go too. It was a great era and certainly the best for real music. Nothing comes close.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Explain +ation dropped for Explan +ation? Where did the "I" go out of explain

It was never spelt "explaination"
I am going from memory now, not going to look them up in case I create more glitches on the web.

did you notice your "Spelt" isn't concidered a word via the squiggly? Yup I just spelled considered as concidered... reason being? I used to always spell it with a "S" got corrected time and time again by teachers and professors and it took me forever to stop and start putting a damn "C" in there... and now it's an "S"? Yarr!

Mould means the fungis mold means to shape

I had to look this one up as it kept coming up over and over, as I frequently use it and was wtf? Mold is the fungus... there's no mould in US English... only in UK English. Mold in US English covers both, the form and the bacterial growth. I used and saw the term mould in art classes nearly everyday for 2 years... as well as, frequently using it as a descriptor for people that stay in "the mould." poof gone except in the UK? Strange business.

Axons instead of Axions
They are 2 separate meaning words, no correlation to each other

Completely agree, there are two... but in the usage of brain function it was always axion along with dendrites, synapses etc. which... eh, it's axon now.

Perhaps, it is the internet's fault? I know I had to start avoiding several sites because members spellings were horrendous... and I felt dumber after reading so many posts of there, their, they're etc. completely wrong I started picking up some of the same business... not even thinking about it, just on cruise control.

As said before though? Memory decline is a distinct possibility... though the ones I mentioned are very confounding in nature. If this is a real effect? Perhaps, not all of it is universal in nature? As we sort of live in 7 billion plus personal little realities from our view point within the cave.

Curious phenomenon none the less, and it is fun to think about...

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I miss it always. Funny thing but I was a little too young for The Beatles being born in 1960 and also being the oldest of the kids. However most all of my friends had older siblings and so that's what hooked me into the music scene of the time. Heck I remember standing in the street when my best friends brothers were leaving for Woodstock in their VW van and wishing I was able to go too. It was a great era and certainly the best for real music. Nothing comes close.

Ditto. I was born in '61 but with 3 older sisters, so I was well-versed in Beatles, lol.
I remember clearly my oldest sister wanting to go to Woodstock and my father forbade it vehemently!
It was a time of musical wonder, that's for sure!
edit on 6/14/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Human memory, time and time again, has been proven to be much more faulty then we'd like to believe. It's the reason why two people can view the same event, and come to different conclusions of the the same event. Our brain tends to fill in the "blanks" in memory, it's not a deficiency, it happens to everyone, intelligent or not. Cultural and social situations can have an effect on memory. Our brain translates external stimuli into what we "see" and "know". Our brains are not infallible. Our brain is a filter for stimuli, and we don't see everything as it is, our brain takes "shortcuts" to process the amount of incoming information, and "misinterpretations" can occur. Like that experiment where they "looked" through a cat's eye's by attaching electrodes to the brain, and decoded the information through a computer - The image was of a human, but they had cat-like facial features - sort of like how we can see inanimate objects in anthropomorphic terms, humanize certain animals, etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Dunno if this is something that would fit the category but I distinctly remember years and years of watching Jeopardy as a small child when at the end one contestant had the studio darkened and answered questions to try and put five red lit up Xs in five boxes to win the final round. If all five Xs illuminated he or she won. Then around thirteen years old or so I asked my Mom, "when did they switch to a three contestant single "answer" Final Jeopardy? She swears it's never changed but even now I can picture Trebek dimming the lights and approaching a single podium for the lightening round where five spaces appear under the contestant and 60 seconds counts down as they try to answer all five for five XXXXX.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
This also reminds me of the famous movie lines that never were. Although I do understand this isn't related to the Mandela effect. Have you all heard em?

FAMOUS LINES THAT WERE NEVER PART OF A MOVIE (hard to believe eh?)
1. Luke I am your father.
2. Hello Clarice
3. If you build it they will come.
4. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth..
5. Play it again Sam.
6. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore
7. Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the fairest one of all (of them all)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I've never experienced the phenomena unless you count the fact that the moment I clicked this thread, someone on TV said 'I can't believe you've never heard of Nelson Mandela'.

Really though, this theory bothers me in that all the 'evidence' is people saying BUT IT WAS DIFFERENT BEFORE, I REMEMBER!, while placing a lot more trust in their own memory than they should. Especially the New Zealand being above Australia thing, because you know, I remember seeing maps that looked like that at school too, 'zoomed in' ones of just Australia and New Zealand next to each other. But even at a young age I knew it wasn't actually there and they'd just moved it there out of convenience so they could fit both continents in a small square. Then there's also the fact that all maps are different and they still draw them out of proportion despite accurate satellite maps: Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG

As for the Berenstein/Berenstain bears thing, it seems obvious that that just comes from people assuming it was spelled like most people said it and not actually seeing the difference in the word because it's between two similar looking letters. I didn't really read the books as a kid but I remember seeing something about them on TV and thinking it was spelled 'Bearenestain' because, y'know, bears.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Reading your comments on John Lennon made me think back to when i was young and playing outside with the radio going and Lennon's songs being played and the big HO HA about him passing ,but i can remember the grass being green and the weather nice when he was number 1 in the charts

www.onlineweb.com...

weird JANUARY when i remember Imagine being at number 1 is a very cold month with snow in the uk
edit on 14-6-2015 by stonerwilliam because: typing error

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
It is a very interesting phenomena. I have a theory that we heard the pronunciation as "stein" before we ever heard it as "stain" and simply became mind blind to it... just accepting it as "stein" until the difference got pointed out, and our mind stop short cutting over it and actually saw it. I personally, would have sworn it was "stein" myself as that's how I always heard it pronounced.

Here's another example of the filter phenomena:

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervy lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Funny I read the first paragraph and was going to respond in words without vowels and seen your mind was in a similar direction.

Wh rlly nds vwls nywy.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Trashleigh

See, the thing about that is if this phenomenon is real as in, these things are actually happening then approaching solving the problem using logic and current knowledge will yield zero results.

Clarke's three laws i think are applicable, or at least relevant here:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is interesting. I had never heard of this before, but I too remember it being the berenstein bears.

DISCLAIMER: This will probably get some people riled up (it is political) but that's not the point. I'm simply sharing my experience.

In 2003, when congress was approving the war in Iraq I remember, very clearly, watching CNN. They were showing satellite images of Iraq and caravan's of what they said were likely the WMD's that we were after. The anchor said it was unlikely we would get boots on the ground to stop them because it would be another 24 hours before it could be approved by congress. Hussein was rushing them over the border into Syria. I remember this vividly. I remember the pictures as clear as day. At the time, I was 17 years old and had no political leanings. Since, I've always been frustrated by the debate about "where are the WMD's" because I watched where they went. It was broadcast live on TV. I watched the satellite feed of a caravan taking them to Syria.

Many times since, I have searched for video of this broadcast. I've searched for people who have seen this broadcast. But as far as I have found, it never happened. I've never found anyone who has claimed to have seen it either. Which may disqualify this as being the mandela effect because usually many people remember these sorts of events, from what I understand. But I know I saw it.

Anyway, there's my experience.

edit on 14-6-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
This is interesting. I had never heard of this before, but I too remember it being the berenstein bears.

DISCLAIMER: This will probably get some people riled up (it is political) but that's not the point. I'm simply sharing my experience.

In 2003, when congress was approving the war in Iraq I remember, very clearly, watching CNN. They were showing satellite images of Iraq and caravan's of what they said were likely the WMD's that we were after. The anchor said it was unlikely we would get boots on the ground to stop them because it would be another 24 hours before it could be approved by congress. Hussein was rushing them over the border into Syria. I remember this vividly. I remember the pictures as clear as day. At the time, I was 17 years old and had no political leanings. Since, I've always been frustrated by the debate about "where are the WMD's" because I watched where they went. It was broadcast live on TV. I watched the satellite feed of a caravan taking them to Syria.

Many times since, I have searched for video of this broadcast. I've searched for people who have seen this broadcast. But as far as I have found, it never happened. I've never found anyone who has claimed to have seen it either. Which may disqualify this as being the mandela effect because usually many people remember these sorts of events, from what I understand. But I know I saw it.

Anyway, there's my experience.

I vaguely recall discussion on the news about how we would probably never find WMDs because Hussein would send them to Syria. I don't remember any satellite images, though.

Add me to the Mandela effect. I recall him being assassinated around 1994-ish. Maybe a little earlier. Big funeral, lots of pronouncements from world leaders about the travesty. Third or fourth grade for me. I'm thinking third, because I vaguely remember my teacher commenting on it. From current dates, he was released from prison when I was 5. I don't have many (if any!) memories associated with news reports from that age. I was greatly surprised to learn he was still alive a few years ago and actually died in 2013.

I have another one. North Korea's first nuclear weapon detonation. I was up late studying as a senior in college (physics major). I regularly studied until 5/6 AM and then slept until noon-ish and went to class in the afternoon and early evening. Anyway, it was probably about 3 am and I had the news on as background noise and suddenly a breaking report came on about North Korea possibly detonating a nuclear weapon. Seismic activity has been detected that was in line with a detonation but there was little other info to give. I paid attention to the lack of updates and figured there would be tons of analysis by the next afternoon and went to bed. I awoke in the afternoon and jumped on the computer only to find NOTHING. No news reports, no clips, nada. I looked for a bit and looked some more in the evening after class. I came up with nothing. Finally, I decided that world leaders must have convinced the media to pull any notion of NK having a nuclear weapon so as not to concern the general populace.

Starting a few years ago, I began to notice that the knowledge of NK having tested nuclear weapons was widely known. It came up in the news quite frequently and even in regular conversation. I began to think that maybe the fact had been slowly introduced to the populace as one of those "always known" things. Anyway, I recently did a little research on the matter. It appears, it was widely covered in the news. There was even a Wiki News article on the matter. The United Nations even publicly condemned NK. I have absolutely no recollection on any of this ever happening. I was quite interested in hearing all about the test, what they did, the political implications, etc. But on my timeline--nothing. Also, the detonation happened around 7 PM my local time. That is 8 hours between the detonation and the news announcement. I imagine that the news wanted to be certain before making an announcement, but that struck me as a large amount of time.

Anyway, I have since realized that around the time I discovered Nelson Mandela was still and alive, NK nuclear weapon capability began to appear as public knowledge. I wish I could be more precise, but I'm thinking if a timeline shift/merger (whatever?) happened, it occurred somewhere between 2008 and 2011.

Btw, Australia used to be further South. I checked out the northern coast on Google Earth after I learned that is was sparsely populated compared to the East coast. I think I would have registered that Papua New Guinea is less than 100 mi north of the Australian coast. Also, as a kid, it was a great mystery how the aborigines made it to Australia with having to cover such a large distance.
edit on 14-6-2015 by Saorsainn because: spelling...can't promise I caught them all!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I planned on making this my first thread once I hit 20 and still do. I've been very busy lately and have had very little time to post.

I will say that thought my ongoing research this is a real phenomenon and not just false memories. I have collected over 300 words, events,people ect, that have without a doubt been changed in our version of reality.

I'm gonna leave it there and wait until I start my thread to fill you on the most important part.WHY. I have it narrowed down to 2 possibilities that are 100% possible within the laws of physics.

And please continue to leave your memories that dont sit right with you. Even the smallest thing that seems different in your minds can have a huge effect on the reasoning.

I look forward to reading more of you posts. Thank you for taking the time to read mine. Please dont close your mind to the "its just a bad memory wagon".

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 772STi

Good stuff, i look forward to taking part in your thread and eager to hear your views.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join