It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean Investigators Set Their Sights on Pacific Ocean Blob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This "BLOB" as it's being called in the Pacific Ocean is actually just a mass of warm sea-water that started to form near Alaska in 2013 and has since spread as far south as Baja, Ca. Researchers are trying to find out if this Blob is related to the mass animal die-offs and beaching which has been occurring in record numbers in recent years. What's also not clear is if it's related at all to the recent, severe water drought in CA.

Researchers remain uncertain what caused the mass of warm seawater they simply call "the blob," or what it'll mean long term for the West Coast climate. But they agree it's imperative to better understand its impact, as it may be linked to everything from California's drought to record numbers of marine mammals washing up on Northern California shores.

The blob -- that's the technical term -- first appeared in late 2013 as a smudge of warm water near Alaska. It then expanded southeast and merged with warm waters farther south, growing into an anomaly that extended from the Aleutian Islands to Baja California and stretched hundreds of miles west toward Hawaii.

I think it's all related. Scientists search for answers but I think the answer is already there; people just don't want to see it because it doesn't fit into the current system of things comtrolled by the PTB. What says ATS?

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I grew up in Mercury News Ville. They are notorious here. If there ever was a government lackey main stream print…

If they say its a "blob" of warm water, you can bet that isn't what is causing die offs. Animals don't die from a few degrees change in ocean temperature. They thrive. Blooms of plankton, Krill and migrations are triggered by changes in temp.

It also can't drain the reservoirs to puddles. Mega farming and Industry are doing that. The reason it doesn't rain in this valley as much anymore is they paved it over with cement and filled it with a bazillion automobiles, refrigerators, air conditioners, washers, dryers and central air heating.

Cover up story, imo.
edit on 11-6-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I grew up in Mercury News Ville. They are notorious here. If there ever was a government lackey main stream print…

If they say its a "blob" of warm water, you can bet that isn't what is causing die offs. Animals don't die from a few degrees change in ocean temperature. They thrive. Blooms of plankton, Krill and migrations are triggered by changes in temp.

It also can't drain the reservoirs to puddles. Mega farming and Industry are doing that. The reason it doesn't rain in this valley as much anymore is they paved it over with cement and filled it with a bazillion automobiles, refrigerators, air conditioners, washers, dryers and central air heating.

Cover up story, imo.

It's almost like a switch has been flipped and things are changing suddenly, and not for the better.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Pure speculation:

Fukushima.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I predict CA will have a short lived drought and, like the floods now in Texas, so shall be seen in my area of CA. This blob may assist? Don't believe the MSM drought fear mongering; we went thru this in the late 70s, first years of the 80s. I blamed it on the rise of the Disco music era.

Seriously, we had adopted a saying "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down." Every flush was preserved.

Then the drought ended and relief in the "Miracle March", when it rained the entire month. It snowed on Pismo Beach that year, sea level, snow that stuck. 1989ish. Our mountain passages closed and stranded people traveling Hwy 101 because....we have no snow plows.

Then, in early 2000s, it started raining the day after Christmas one year, snowed, and continued to rain everyday in Jan, all but 3 days in Feb, and weekly thru June.

This blob may be our drought relief, but it is a mystery and an excellent thread.

S&F !

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I think I've got this one somewhere, wait...

Ah, there it is. Volcano Watch 2014

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

It's almost like a switch has been flipped and things are changing suddenly, and not for the better.

More like we are reaching a tipping point and all the trees we have removed,the water and air we have polluted and the land we have destroyed is now coming back to bite us in the ass

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Cover up story, imo.

Actually, a change in water temps does kill in mass. You said it yourself about thriving...but it's not the fish, it's algae and bacteria that consume all the oxygen and then the fish die off. Also, fish go into shock from a few degrees temperature change so they try to swim into a different area, such as to the surface where they die off from even warmer waters. So, yes, fish do die off in mass from changing water temperatures. They do not thrive.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Cover up story, imo.

Actually, a change in water temps does kill in mass. You said it yourself about thriving...but it's not the fish, it's algae and bacteria that consume all the oxygen and then the fish die off. Also, fish go into shock from a few degrees temperature change so they try to swim into a different area, such as to the surface where they die off from even warmer waters. So, yes, fish do die off in mass from changing water temperatures. They do not thrive.

Fish migrate. The toxins in the environment are causing any mass die offs. Not an ignomiuos "blob', lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Animals don't die from a few degrees change in ocean temperature.

Salmon do.

They also stress out and die very easily when just fry. Warmer water will kill salmon populations.
I am totally aware of this fact as I used to work in a fish farm that raised salmon, and warmer waters killed them and stressed out the fry so that we would occasionally have large salmon die-offs.

Salmon die, and that brings new problems as the animals that depend on them such as bears and eagles,seals,anything that lives off of salmon (and there are a lot of animals that do depend on them in the mid summer and fall months) start to suffer and deplete their own populations.

Not to mention the fishing industry which also suffers and families who depend on the salmon industry have to find new ways to make a living.

Warmer waters creates a landslide effect if it goes on to long.
(salmon also have to return to the same body of water they were born in, so they cannot migrate to far away)
edit on 12-6-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Theres always exceptions, Your talking fry in "farms" now? Or Salmor runs up rivers? I was talking about the west pacific "warm blob".

Not even mentioned are the varying temps at different depths, google thermocline. Fish will leave an area if the can to avoid lethal temps. They don't know what to do about toxins. Its out of their realm of experience.

Thats why oil spills kiil marine and bird life. They don't know to avoid it.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Salmon fry and warm water do not mix.

If you warm the water, it kills salmon, there is no difference between farmed and wild when fry.
Only difference is location.

Warm water means less oxygen in the water which leads to fish die offs.

Oxygen enters the water through diffusion. The amount of oxygen that can be dissolved in water depends on the atmospheric pressure, the water temperature and whether the water is salty.[7] For example, at 20 °C (68 °F) and one atmosphere of pressure, a maximum of 8 mg/l of oxygen can dissolve in sea water (35 mg/l salinity) while a maximum of 9 mg/l of oxygen can dissolve in fresh water. The amount of oxygen that can be dissolved in the water decreases by about 1 mg/l for each 10 °C increase in water temperature above 20 °C. Many cold water fish that have evolved to live in clean cold waters become stressed when oxygen concentrations fall below 8 mg/l whilst warm water fish generally need at least 5 ppm (5 mg/l) of dissolved oxygen. Fish can endure short periods of reduced oxygen. Depleted oxygen levels are the most common cause of fish kills.

en.wikipedia.org...

In 2014 they were trying to figure out why salmon were dying in mass numbers on the west coast.

The mysterious die-off of young salmon heading out to sea in the Pacific Northwest, along with far lower plankton levels than normal, have many scientists shaking their heads in disbelief and concern since not one mainstream ‘expert’ has mentioned radiation as a possibility. But sometimes silence speaks the loudest.

Rickerson theorizes that there has been a surge in the creatures that feed on the microorganisms — creatures that typically fall prey to sea stars. She doesn’t know what is causing the break down in the food chain, though.

“There are too many questions. All I can do is ask more,” she said. Tribal groups and scientists are now looking closer at plankton in Canada, too. If the supply of plankton is off due to some ‘mysterious factor’ like radiation poisoning, then the die off of young salmon when they enter Puget Sound from their native rivers could be explained. Baby salmon eat plankton, as well as the smaller fish, and if it isn’t growing then the salmon have no food source. No matter what the cause, scientists need to figure out what is disrupting the food chain and causing plankton levels to be so low.

naturalsociety.com...

I don't believe it to be radiation, but warmer waters connected to "the Blob"

There is a break down in the food chain, hopefully these warm "blobs" go away before they cause an increase in fish deaths and acidification of the Gulf of Alaska.

new topics

top topics

join