It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Acid Reflux Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Heart Attacks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

An interesting thread already a heart attack suffer with chronic "heartburn" I've recently started taking Nexium now that it is an OTC drug. The thread comes at an interesting time also. I've been on about five statins, and each caused me some minor, at the time, problem. Three of them gave me the so-called "trigger-finger" symptoms where all at once my thumbs, either one, would lock up and I couldn't move it for awhile. I knew it was the drugs, because the onset to either thumb would come with days of each other, and normally I did not have that problem.

So, I've been taken the Nexium for right at two months and last week I've notice that my thumbs were starting to ache as they would do on the statins. I don't normally have any problems with arthritis. So it seems from info in this thread, that I've come across the reason for the 'trigger-finger" attacks--and I just a two months supply of Nexium. I was looking for a cause....

BTW: Some reflux problems are caused by a Hiatal hernia. Throw in a bit of belly fat, interior and exterior, tight clothing or belt and perhaps some bending at the waist and you have conditions for aggravating a minor problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Hey, did you just call me fat???!!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: Aliensun

Hey, did you just call me fat???!!

Not likely with a screen name of Ultralight.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Kapusta

You do know you CAN die from drinking too much water? When you over hydrate, you flush important electrolytes from your system. Severe muscle cramps occur that will bring you to your knees. I found this out the hard way. I was shopping for luggage when going to Hawaii many years ago, and lost 42#s to look good for Waikiki. I actually did myself harm in over hydrating. A trip to the e.r. was an expensive lesson.

Water is important, hydration is important...just don't overdue.

"Water intoxication occurs when you have flushed too many electrolytes and other nutrients needed for your brain to function, but the damage is done when the water swells the cells, particularly your brain cells. It just swells them easier when you have an electrolyte deficiency".

Yahoo Answers

.....yeah , Sort of like how drowning can kill you as well. Your body has a natural " don't drink anymore switch" just as it has " drink drink drink" switch aka the thirsty feeling .

Anyone who is forcing them selfs to drink once they are hydrated are risking water intoxication .

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

Based on results of a new study from researchers at Houston Methodist and Stanford University, adults who take proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) for heartburn and other gastrointestinal ailments are between 16% and 21% more likely to experience a heart attack than those who do not use the widely available acid blocker.

Forbes Article

So new studies have found that Proton Pump inhibitors seemingly increase the risk of heart attack in the users of these drugs.

My mum struggled with heartburn for over 20+ years and used to take over the counter antacids until a doctor prescribed her omeprazole about 10 years ago. These gave her instant relief and so she has continued to use them for nearly 10 years.
For the last few years I have taken a real interest in health, nutrition and the over use of prescribed drugs.
So my mum started to get arthritis and as she was getting older I wanted to do an audit of what medications my mum was on, what for and then started to look into natural methods of alleviating some of her symptoms.
She was on statins for high blood pressure which they kept increasing the dosage of, she was on PPI's for her heartburn and she was on an inhaler for a heavy chest. Obviously the statins for high blood pressure was a concern along with the dosage.
Now one of the videos on a Dr I subscribe to on youtube had done a video on the best way to thin your blood, his answer? Drink a lot more water. Sounds simple and it was that simple. My mum din't drink water, she would drink coffee and fruit juice during the day, so I started her on 2l bottled spring water a day along with whatever else she fancied.
I didn't take her off her meds during this, I just wanted to get her system ready so that they could lower the dose etc..
The next was to find out what was causing her excessive heartburn.
What i found was after countless hours of research was that heartburn is not caused by too much stomach acid but by too little stomach acid, more so in older people because stomach acid production decreases as you get older.
Heartburn occurs when the Lower Esophageal Sphincter is weakened by pressure and allows a little bit of stomach acid to seep into your esophagus, the pressure is caused most often than not by bloating. The bloating is a result of having too little stomach acid to break down the food thus causing fermentation, which in turn releases gas, which causes the pressure on the LES valve.
So I started looking into omeprazole and found a link between PPI's, osteoporosis and arthritis. The reason again is that the body needs essential nutrients which it's no longer getting from food. To keep you alive it starts pulling nutrients from the bones and cartilage thus causing the aforementioned diseases.

So I got my mum on a regime of hydrochloric acid supplements before each meal for a few weeks and then she stopped taking the omeprazole completely. Sure enough for the 1st few days, the excessive bloating causing high blood pressure and dizzyness kicked in so we increased the HCL tablets until the bloating dissipated and since then she hasn't had to use her PPI's and she now only supplements HCL a couple of times a month just to increase the stomach acid.

Anyway after a couple of months on the water and the HCL, she went to her Dr for a full medical which I came with her to. I explained to the doctor what steps we had took and he checked her out and he was shocked at how low her blood pressure was and said she had the blood pressure and the oxygen in her blood of a 30 year old. He jokingly said that i should come in and have a look at some of his other patients, which is quite ironic really. Anyway the arthritis has cleared up, this is in part down to the magnesium bath and occasional carb soda bath, she also lost 3 stone in the space of a year and for a 73 year old that has made a huge difference for her. The only thing she still uses now and again is her inhaler but even that is used rarely.

Anyway moral of the story is if you or anyone you know are on PPI's, look into the possibility that you may have low stomach acid and if you are bloating a lot when eating this might indicate this also.

Bear in mind that the study quoted in the link shows a possible association and not causation.
Hopefully it will lead to a more specific study either showing this or not.

And just a quick correction, statins aren't prescribed for high blood pressure, they're for high cholesterol.

And yes, drinking water is good for you, but not too much though only a couple of litres a day is enough.
But forget about the "alakalised" or "oxygenated" water nonsense as they're just pseudo-scientific marketing woo.
Water is water (as long as it's clean).

edit on 12/6/15 by Pardon? because: Added a line.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Thank you very much for that research as it effects me. I will certainly re-think my medication on this. Very grateful also to the others who have contributed with their recommendations. Shiloh

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

Indeed, hence why I stated that it 'seemingly increased the risk of a heart attack' rather than state that it did cause heart attacks.
You are partially correct, Statins are used mostly for regulating high cholesterol but they are used here in the UK for high blood pressure also.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Your mother is lucky to have a health advocate like yourself. A glitch in the medical matrix you might say?

Pharma is going to solve that soon. These "routine" treatments that are "preventative" and have "virtually no risk" will be mandated by law.

The propaganda narrative will be that these "medical deniers" are costing precious taxpayer money when the get sick --so politicians, acting in the best interest of society will mandate that when a Dr prescribes "routine" treatments such as happened with your dear mother, you and your family will have no choice.

The time to fight is now.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Indeed, hence why I stated that it 'seemingly increased the risk of a heart attack' rather than state that it did cause heart attacks.
You are partially correct, Statins are used mostly for regulating high cholesterol but they are used here in the UK for high blood pressure also.

And the benefits of statins are completely bogus. If you are a real person, please do your own research. If you are an operative... please eat the whole pill bottle at once.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I know.
I just wanted to stress it.

Statins are never given in the UK to treat hypertension alone.
They may be used in conjunction with hypertensive meds with an increased risk of cardiovascular events but are solely for the high cholesterol aspect of that.
If you have hypertension but your risk factors do not include high cholesterol you wouldn't be offered them.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Absolutely, if you have high cholesterol it's not a bad thing. In fact many times it's keeping people alive, so artificially trying to reduce it is in fact quite dangerous.

But yeah you're right, the fact that they are trying to ban vitamin supplements should tell you all you need to know about how the system is gamed towards big pharma.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yeah I should have mentioned in my OP that it was used for both high cholesterol and high blood pressure in my mother.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

And the benefits of statins are completely bogus. If you are a real person, please do your own research. If you are an operative... please eat the whole pill bottle at once.

I don't agree that the benefits of statins are bogus at all.
That's nonsense.
There are risks too and should they be given out prophylactically?
Definitely not.
Their prescription should be specific to the disease/condition they're treating and not as a preventative measure.

And egging-on someone to self-harm in your last sentence doesn't do you any favours.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Absolutely, if you have high cholesterol it's not a bad thing. In fact many times it's keeping people alive, so artificially trying to reduce it is in fact quite dangerous.

But yeah you're right, the fact that they are trying to ban vitamin supplements should tell you all you need to know about how the system is gamed towards big pharma.

No-one is trying to ban vitamin supplements.
They're trying to get them regulated.

Big pharma make a load of money from selling supplements.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

There is talk that the number of deaths from heart attacks doubled when statins were introduced but I have looked through the Australian statistic books and cannot see a jump although I did not spend a long time on it.
people.csail.mit.edu...

I believe the statins restrict the bodies production of cholesterol when the cholesterol that is causing the problem is animal cholesterol as well as dairy produce.

There is a lot of success with using organic sulphur to unblock the arteries msm-msm.com... 100% success rate from 1088 people was achieved now you would think if the statins worked then they would have a 100% success rate as well Lets take a look shall we

here's an extremely not relative at all 92 deaths but I'm sure they did not mind as the pharmaceutical terrorists made a decent profit from them www.yourmedicaldetective.com...
Baycol was linked to 52 deaths bit pointless going on really.
I relieved the symptoms for one guy of Acid reflux in a couple of hours using coconut water and lemon and lime and restricting animal products pickles and spicy food and not eating after 6pm he had been going to the doctors for 2 months and they had given him a variety of acid reflux drugs.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

a reply to: jacobe001

Did you ever wake in the middle of the night, coughing up bile and blood? Have bloody sputum lingering an entire day?

I have woken up a couple times like that, (no blood) in the past and the fix for that was not eating anything spicy and gas producing before bed time.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

I am glad you only experienced that twice, and with out the bloody sputum part. For me, it is not an easy fix. I've had 2 exploratory abdominal surgeries, a TEE and many other tests. But we are all medically unique.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: jinni73

There was talk, back in the day that eggs
increased cholesterol and should be very restricted in eating. Then those who do these things put out commercials about their increase in heart attacks, etc. Then came that "incredible, edible egg" campaign from the egg industry touting the egg. Low and behold, couple years ago eggs actually were deemed good for you.

So wait a few years and everything will be either good or bad for you.
edit on 1434381132Monday30Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:12:12 -0500amMonday12101030 by Ultralight because: Typo

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight
yeah eggs just like bananas have been talked about a lot my research on eggs shows they should only be poached to 50 celsius they have the right fatty acid balance as long as long they are battery farmed, as well as the 8 essential amino acids that we need in the right balance, they contain lysozymes which are the stage above antibiotics,
the downside is they contain about 350mg of cholesterol the fluoride in the water ends up saturating their bones and the meat around them. so if you breed your own chickens and don't give them fluoridated water you will be alright. there are some rumours that the feed or maybe its the water ends up concentrating arsenic in them although I don't think its arsenic as they do not allow this in the water anymore. and of course you have got the antibiotics they feed them.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?

And egging-on someone to self-harm in your last sentence doesn't do you any favours.

I think this reflects the hatred we have for people that are trying to misdirect us just because they have screwed up there lives and are able to be coerced by the security services means they should most definitely be removed it is said that most trolls are psychopaths which is why they have to resort to lying you should see the rubbish they talk about fluoride on here it's breathtaking that people can be so naïve or such low lifes but I guess that's the ruling class for you manipulating peoples lives with intelligence lowering chemicals.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join