It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sky News investigates IMSI catchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hi. Today I came across this. Sky News has investigated fake phone masts in London which collect data from all mobile phone users!

Sky news article

I found it first on Facebook from a page called Ars-Technica.

Ars-Technica Page

The 'Freedom of information Act' is pretty much useless half of the time. When used to get police to divulge information anyway.

Despite repeated Freedom of Information requests, including by Sky News, the Met neither confirms nor denies that the force uses IMSI catchers.

Not sure why they don't just go ahead and tell the truth and admit it. We know anyway.

There was a speculative thread posted similar to this before in the US snooping on Android devices. Wasn't sure wether to post a new thread or to add it onto existing.

Here is a related thread from 2014 anyway.

Dozens of fake cell phone towers discovered eavesdropping on Android devices

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jonobot654

You know those FBI light weight planes flying around with sensors on them? They have fake cell towers relays on them too, way more effective to fly above the cell phone users than to wait for them to pass a telephone pole but still wild non the less.

The more wild part is, why do you think phones were engineered this way? If you ask me, smartphones weren't created by any company other than the government just like the concept of social media was as well. Facebook and twitter have proven better policing resources than detaining and questioning.

It's a game and we just lost most of the pieces.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Not sure why they don't just go ahead and tell the truth and admit it. We know anyway.

Maybe they think some recent 3rd world arrival people don't know ?

Most people are to busy trying to make a living to worry about what their governments are doing or listening to.. They figure the government is placed or elected to do a job...... with little or no supervision; mistake right there IMO.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonobot654
Hi. Today I came across this. Sky News has investigated fake phone masts in London which collect data from all mobile phone users!

Sky news article

I found it first on Facebook from a page called Ars-Technica.

Ars-Technica Page

The 'Freedom of information Act' is pretty much useless half of the time. When used to get police to divulge information anyway.

Despite repeated Freedom of Information requests, including by Sky News, the Met neither confirms nor denies that the force uses IMSI catchers.

There was a speculative thread posted similar to this before in the US snooping on Android devices. Wasn't sure wether to post a new thread or to add it onto existing.

Here is a related thread from 2014 anyway.

Dozens of fake cell phone towers discovered eavesdropping on Android devices

Yes stingray devices as they are known... They are being used and left out of evidence in trials. Underhand, and a complete violation of our human right of privacy. These devices get the ten digit code associated to a mobile phone and they do not discriminate, any person who happens to be near a target is a victim also... Of course the snoopers charter will make it legal to do as they please anyway, but they do it in secret now, and I'm sure will continue to do so!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's funny the measures people will take to become virual "peeping toms".

Chinese businessmen are brilliant in countering this invasions to their property. They congress in open areas, typically public parks or rural locales to communicate in a form of hands on sign language. They place their hands under a cloth, and then proceed to transfer information by various grips, taps, and symbols applied to each other's palm and hand. It's a short hand linguistic (no pun int), using elements of peripherals like Morse code. The only revision I would amend, is using a lead, xray apron to truly lamenement glare.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

You know what government will one day figure out.

That spying hurts the economy, this will one day be obvious and a matter of policy consideration.

top topics

join