It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No GPS in Death Valley.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Not that it's really needed as there's only about four roads in the whole valley.I do how ever find it a bit odd that the directions given to get to the B&B I'm staying at in Tecopa Hot Springs say that not only is there no cellphone signal (to be expected),but there's also no GPS either.Now how does this affect the reception of signals from a load of satellites that just about anywhere on earth will always have enough above the the horizon (I can pick up 11 from inside my house) to always be able to give you a GPS fix as long as you're not in a tunnel etc?

Or is this area for some bizarre reason devoid of any satellites in line-of-sight with it and there really isn't any GPS signal in that area? Or maybe they mean that Google navigation won't work because it needs a constant data connection to download maps and directions only when there's a cellphone signal?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

Death Valley is apparently the lowest point on Earth, could this fact have something to do with the apparent lack of GPS in the area?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shakeGPS signals work in my basement that is below ground. I do not think being the lowest place on the planet would have anything to do with no GPS. I suspect there are blind spots in coverage around the globe. But it is curious that all of Death Valley is void of GPS. My sister use to live in Bull Head City, AZ which is just outside of Death Valley, she got GPS there. That is the reason I think there is a extensional lack of coverage in the valley.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Death Valley is apparently the lowest point on Earth, could this fact have something to do with the apparent lack of GPS in the area?

Only parts of it are below sea level though,I think Badwater Basin is less than 300 feet below sea level.There's still plenty of sky visible and the horizon is where it should be-on the horizon.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Well lets face it this is the same place where rocks apparently move around by their own volition. Is it any wonder that our GPS systems fail do do what it says on the tin regarding the area?

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 11-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

I would have suggested possible magnetic anomalies regarding the area considering the geology but i cant really see how that would affect GPS. I suppose some one round these here parts will come along with a plausible reason soon enough.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Well lets face it this is the same place where rocks apparently move around by their own volition. Is it any wonder that our GPS systems fail do do what it say on the tin regarding the area?

en.wikipedia.org...

That's been solved.The lake floods and freezes as it does so and the moving sheet of ice pushes the rocks across the lake bed.

This map shows a big cluster of satellites over the West Coast,so why no coverage in that area?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

My first thought was the fact that the area is the lowest point on Earth may prohibit an unobstructed view of the horizon possibly influencing the signal strength but that does not seem to be the case.

Apparently the most common factor that interferes with our GPS signal is what is termed an "Urban Canyon". This canyon effect refers to the high rise concrete buildings and skyscrapers that do not allow signals to propagate. Possibly due to the geographical make up of the area some form of similar effect is at play?

End of the day i dont really know, just spitballing.
edit on 11-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Death Valley isn't exactly a sprawling urban metropolis,even though it is pretty low and there are mountains around it.........

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

No definitely no urban metropolis but as you said the area is surrounded by mountains, and it is rather below sea level. Hence the reason i brought up the "Urban Canyon" effect, and i did say similar.

Why do you think there is no GPS in Death Valley?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Why do you think there is no GPS in Death Valley?

Because the directions to my B&B say this........

Remember, a GPS does not work in Death Valley. There is no cell service in Tecopa Hot Springs, but there is a public coin phone.

Oh and if that map shows all the GPS available for civilian use,there's one almost immediately over head that area.
edit on 11-6-2015 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

"Because the directions to my B&B say this. Remember, a GPS does not work in Death Valley. There is no cell service in Tecopa Hot Springs, but there is a public coin phone."

Well there is the answer i imagine.

"Oh and if that map shows all the GPS available for civilian use,there's one almost immediately over head that area."

So what are you implying, that GPS does function in the area but is somehow turned off regarding civilian use?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I can say with 100% certainty that GPS GLONASS and BEIDU all cover Death Valley. Nothing special to affect the radio signal.

Possible reasons for the comment:
1. Crap receivers can lose track in extraordinarily hot ambient temperature.
2. The place is not on the digital map. Which means your personal navigation system won't work. Has nothing to do with the computed position. It means it can't match the position with a physical address.
3. To simply be mysterious.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Oddly enough I just Googled this and one of the first answers was this thread.Reading further on it appears that the problem is with the maps and the accuracy of anything other than the handful of main roads.As the guy below says,it knows exactly where it is in latitude and longitude so is receiving all the satellites it needs to but as in many other parts of the world it can misdirect you.There is one near to me that tells you to turn into what's supposed to be a main road,but is in fact a quarry.

There's stories of people getting lost in Death Valley because they rely too much on GPS and sat navs,think I'll invest in some of those good ol' fashioned folding paper things for my journey.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Weird to say the least, hopefully anyone that does get lost manages to find there way back home considering that place looks rather hostile to the unprepared. Guess this just goes to prove that our technology sometimes fails us, as you said a Map is probably the best solution.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I can now confirm that there was a perfect GPS signal everywhere I went in Death Valley.I had an old fashioned paper map as back up just in case,but it tracked me perfectly on the roads I was supposed to be on at all times to within an accuracy of a couple of metres or better.

Use some common sense in situations like this and don't assume that an unsurfaced road that looks like the surface of the moon with a sign at the end of it reading 'Unsuitable for motor vehicles' actually IS I-15 to Las Vegas and you'll be alright.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
According to the NPS.

GPS Navigation to sites to remote locations like Death Valley are notoriously unreliable. Numerous travelers have been directed to the wrong location or even dead-end or closed roads. Travelers should always carry up-to-date road maps to check the accuracy of GPS directions.

and

Many GPS users have had success using the street address for the Death Valley Post Office which is located about 400 meters south of the visitor center.

So the OP's original premise is wrong.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
According to the NPS.

GPS Navigation to sites to remote locations like Death Valley are notoriously unreliable. Numerous travelers have been directed to the wrong location or even dead-end or closed roads. Travelers should always carry up-to-date road maps to check the accuracy of GPS directions.

and

Many GPS users have had success using the street address for the Death Valley Post Office which is located about 400 meters south of the visitor center.

So the OP's original premise is wrong.

Sorry but I don't get which part of my original premise is wrong?

If you're looking for Panamint Springs,Furnace Creek,Stovepipe Wells or Scotties castle (pretty well the only settlements in the valley),then you don't need satellite navigation.Any map from about 50 years ago (or more) will be good here,they're all on the main roads through the valley and could be found blindfolded.Even the tourist traps off the main roads are clearly signposted,such as Badwater Basin or Dantes View could be found by Stevie Wonder safely.

The problems mentioned in the guide books are NOT the GPS signal which works perfectly in every part of the valley I went to.It's people's over-reliance on an electronic box that can go wrong without any warning,and their unquestioning faith in following everything it tells them to do.

The young generation is growing up now who rely totally on just electronic devices and couldn't read a map if their life depended on it.The can't drive slowly unless there's a $300 dollar box stuck to the inside of their windscreen telling them to slow down and they can't even go to the gym unless their iPhone tells them to go.Each successive generation is slowly losing the ability to think for themselves all the time they've got a smart this or smart that to do it for them.

top topics

join