It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What differentiates humans from other species ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The bottom line, there is no difference. The protocols are the same. Spread, grow, and survive. Life forms exhibit different complexes to achieve these ends, but all roads lead to the same destination. Art and religion are just coping tools to survival's passage. Belief in an afterlife is just an extention to survival. Who's to say which species is more efficient? Animals cut straight to the chase.

Maybe direct download through "instinct" is more effective than manifold training directives. What has a human's greater control and insight over the environment, truly distinguished them from the rest of life? Longer lifespans? Better quality of life? Broader scope of expansion? And this speaks exactly what to the genus on a grand scale? Some rockstars thought it was better to burn out, than to fade away. Who's to say human's extra accoutraments convect them from the pastoral?
edit on 11-6-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Humans are different because they know that in time they will die.

Right, and on the basis of that self-knowledge there is a great fear that constantly motivates a search to control life as much as possible - through the creation of the presumed separate self and all of its systems, myths, beliefs, etc.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
23 base pair chromosones, our fear of our own mortality, our biological frailty, our lack of a clear lineal fossil record, to name a few.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: gosseyn

They can they just teach the next generation and have done for century's If you mean they can not write it down....well yeah.

Exactly, they cannot write it down, so they are limited to contemporary exchanges, thus they don't have this capacity that we have, otherwise there would be monkey surgeons, astronauts, poetry, there would be monkey civilization.

isn't it interesting that monkies get along fine without surgeons, astronauts, etc? where has this "blessing" gotten us? how is that we are in such and unbalanced, chaotic state with all this "communicatin through the ages" stuff advantage?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Many of the animilia kingdom are tied into a primary collective.
This collective can then help to cull or expand a specific species.
The primary animilia collective manager of or NATURE then can manage or control species populations growth and amounts.

This could account for the observed learning seen with various animals that seem to really learn from their ancestors

HUMANS it seems where boosted in their LEARNING & COMPREHENSION with some form of conscious and or genetic upgrading, either initiated from natural panspermia like event carrying radiated material that would jump start planet evolution or from some coming in direct contact with bio organisms here on EA*RTH long ago and upgrading them with their labs and technologies for whatever reasons?

This upgrading would of then caused the "current" human to have the intelligence and comprehension capacity demonstrated that is more advanced then the animals who where not upgraded, yet share the same planet...

At times 1 thinks is this advanced genetic bio engineering?
And is this cause for other equally or more advanced CREATOR Creations intelligence and comprehension?
If so what would be the interest and intent of THE who commissioned these genetic upgrades throughout Existence?

Good question

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The difference is the human physical mind has the ability to discuss, and create different views and perceptions of what we think other species are compared to ourselves. Where as these other species are just a mere reflections of our outer reality...

Just my 2 cents..

edit on 11-6-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: typos

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Language as a system of communication is a very narrow definition. Communicating is a part of it, yes, but not the whole story. With language, humans have the ability of infinite possibility from finite means. Animals have systems of communication, but not the ability to generate infinite possibilities from them. For instance, from an alphabet and a limited grammar, there are an infinite amount of configurations of words, sentences and paragraphs one human can make, that outside of direct copying, it would be a miracle to see the the same configuration twice.

Humans are also unique in that they have human bodies, which is the source of all human behavior and action.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I haven't read the posts and wanted to put in my two cents before reading other's thoughts.

One humans have the ability to override their physical and mental conditioning.

In Frank Herbert's "Dune", Paul Atreides must pass the test of the 'Gom Jabbar' to prove he is human. He must keep his hand in a box that appears/feels like it is destroying his hand and suffer excruisiating pain. He knows that it's all in his mind and he must overcome his 'condtioning' to endure and prove his is human.

Recovery is another example of spirit over conditioning. Addicts have conditioned themselves to medicate away all physical, mental, emotional and spritual pain, overcoming such by just not using is Human.

I know that Behaviorists don't agree, they think everything is about conditioning. But they cannot explain the above with their methods.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Depends on the species.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Another answer: writing.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Animals for the most part, still belong to the beast kingdom and are tied into their body suits, ie impulses and instincts. We're supposed to be rising above this. We're not anywhere near as small as reptilian minds would like to promote humanity as. As much as I value all creatures great and small, earth is the school for humans, various models that have existed. Not a prison, not if you keep love alive and keep your mind freed, and I don't believe that Family stands around uselessly when anyone dies. Every NDE, people who cried out for God or Family when in dark places, were taken out of there.

Dog eat dog is the lower realm.

Many people here are from much higher level cosmic species, some from the higher human races.

edit on 11-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 321Go

originally posted by: 321Go
There is one very definite difference between us and other animals. Most of the traits we believe are human are shared by other species, like love or self-awareness or communication, among others, except that is, for faith. Other animals do not worship a creator.

I believe, if it were possible to ask, they would have no idea what we were talking about if we were to suggest such a thing. They would probably believe we had a screw loose, and they would probably be correct.

That's a good point. But I think it is less a dedicated function and more of an incomprehension. I mean our minds have to give some answer to questions that we cannot answer yet, questions to which we will maybe never be able to give a satisfactory answer.

I don't quite follow your logic. Our minds have developed (a word I'm using with caution) to the state of needing answers for everything. Those that our ancestors could not answer with physical evidence where answered with mythological stories, and this then developed into worshipped religion.

Animals have absolutely no need to ask why a mountain or tree is where it is, or why the sun comes up and which revolves around which, and ultimately who or what made it all happen. That is uniquely human.

Are you looking for 'curiousity'. Animals exhibits curiousity all the time. It is not a trait unique to humans.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Language is the determining factor. This has been known for quite some time.

Many animals have language. It's been 'acknowledged' only for a short time though.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
Humans are made in God's image and animals are not!

I think you mean that human's make God(s) in their own image and animals do not.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
To put it plainly:

A human can choose to be an animal, where as an animal cannot choose to be human. Despite my avatar being contradictory to my statement..lol

Peace

edit on 12-6-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 321Go
Perhaps rather than creativity in the form of architecture or other device required for survival, maybe being human is the creation or appreciation of art for art sake. How about music, are there any other animals or other species that not just make music, but make instruments to create music, compose music and just enjoy listening to the music made by others. I have often pondered these very points as I drive to work, whilst listening to the radio.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
A more developed frontal lobe. The ability to manipulate matter. More complex communication methods. That's about it.
edit on 12-6-2015 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bb23108

Right, and on the basis of that self-knowledge there is a great fear that constantly motivates a search to control life as much as possible - through the creation of the presumed separate self and all of its systems, myths, beliefs, etc.

It is the 'assumed' separate self which gives rise to beliefs like time and death.
Animals know nothing of time - they only KNOW what is happening now.

Life is happening now and in the human it can happen as thoughts of 'me in time'.
That 'me' in time does not exist because time does not exist. Only now 'appears' to exist.
The separate self only appears to exist in stories (once upon a time in a far away land...).

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bb23108

It is the 'assumed' separate self which gives rise to beliefs like time and death.
Animals know nothing of time - they only KNOW what is happening now.

Life is happening now and in the human it can happen as thoughts of 'me in time'.
That 'me' in time does not exist because time does not exist. Only now 'appears' to exist.
The separate self only appears to exist in stories (once upon a time in a far away land...).

But other animals have a memory, and they react to present events based on their previous experiences, so in one way they also live in the past, and they also can imagine a better future, they do want to go to other places in the future. Like my cat for example when he wants to go out, or monkeys when they look for water to bathe in it.

Thanks to everyone for participating, gave me things to think about and maybe change my mind about what I said in the OP.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

But other animals have a memory, and they react to present events based on their previous experiences, so in one way they also live in the past, and they also can imagine a better future, they do want to go to other places in the future. Like my cat for example when he wants to go out, or monkeys when they look for water to bathe in it.

Nothing lives in the past. What is happening is what there is - if you think about the past - it is a thought happening now.

edit on 12-6-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join