It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA School Districts lowers standards to let failing students graduate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

The Hispanic-dominated Los Angeles Unified School District Board has decided it is better to let failing students graduate with D grades rather than deny them a diploma because of their poor grades in college prep classes.

Well...this is bad news.. Whats the point in having grades in the first place ?
Might as well just let them pass.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Why do babysitters give grades anyway?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

www.breitbart.com...

The Hispanic-dominated Los Angeles Unified School District Board has decided it is better to let failing students graduate with D grades rather than deny them a diploma because of their poor grades in college prep classes.

Well...this is bad news.. Whats the point in having grades in the first place ?
Might as well just let them pass.

Of course they are doing this....we wouldn't want to offend anyone right? Anywho.....someone needs to work at the fast food places I go to for lunch sometimes.......

Similar to the "every kid gets a trophy" crap. Wussification run rampant....

Tired of nobody needing to be held accountable for anything these days....

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well, the future of our country certainly looks bright, does it not? This has been going on under the table in many places for the last couple of decades. My wife and I had a foster daughter 15 years ago who couldn't make change from a 20 dollar bill and she was 15, yet, she kept coming home with passing grades and I asked how. She said the teacher was doing her homework for her. Too many lazy teachers that just give up rather than try to make a difference in that child's life.

link   
Oh..forgot to add this. What a gem of a quote:

The board decided to offer students who needed to stay in high school until age 22 more services.

Wait.....WHAT? In high school until 22????? Talk about pushing off the unemployment numbers for a while. Whomever is running the state and country when these idiots finally graduate is going to be hating this decision.

link   

But a D isn't a failing grade. This makes sense to me. Why force students to maintain a C in a class that is meant to prepare them for the next level of education that they may not go do? Every other class requires a D or more.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

It isn't that the teachers are lazy.....most of the time it is the kids. The teachers will lose their jobs and the school their funding if the kids do not make certain grades. Funny how nobody at my school had to have their homework done by others, yet this generation seems to be all about the handout.

Slowly running our country into the ground....brilliant.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

But a D isn't a failing grade. This makes sense to me. Why force students to maintain a C in a class that is meant to prepare them for the next level of education that they may not go do? Every other class requires a D or more.

I think what the article is saying is that a D won't get them into higher education at this point, so they are lowering the standards to allow for more to go to college.

Anywho....lost cause if you ask me. The kids themselves need to have the drive to achieve. Taking away any sense of responsibility is what is killing this country. But hey....at least their feelings are not hurt.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

It isn't that the teachers are lazy.....most of the time it is the kids. The teachers will lose their jobs and the school their funding if the kids do not make certain grades. Funny how nobody at my school had to have their homework done by others, yet this generation seems to be all about the handout.

I agree with you. In my day as well. If someone were that bad off they had a special class for them where they could get more focused help.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I agree with you. In my day as well. If someone were that bad off they had a special class for them where they could get more focused help.

That or a few parents of similar situations would pool their money and hire a tutor. The majority of parents these days expect the school to do everything for the kids and when something bad happens they blame the school and not their parenting.....and somehow they win the lawsuits.

I don't know...I have been fed up with a lot of the system for a while. Too many things wrong for anything to change it all. Just have to wait for it to completely fail and start over.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Too many lazy teachers that just give up rather than try to make a difference in that child's life.

If the teacher is doing the kids homework I doubt its because of laziness but rather survival. I would think that the teachers get dinged and compensated based on passing grades.

I heard that was one of the issues with common core. The teachers are teaching kids to pass the tests and not critical thinking or comprehension of the subject itself.

Pearson who covers 40% of the books sold to schools are the ones that create the test and sell the books that are required to understand and pass the convoluted test questions.

edit on 41630America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jun 2015 11:41:47 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The only time I would let someone with low grades still get their diploma is if that student really really performs in other classes.

55% in English and 65% in math wouldn't cut it. But 50% in English and 90% in math would.

I could have gotten a couple diplomas but I don't have nothing, only because I can't past high education language standards...
I'm sorry that since I can't write a story, I guess I can't really repair computers, build a tunnel or compose a song then? That's what I sense the system is telling me.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

No, it doesn't look like that is the case at all. It looks like this is only meant to help these students get a diploma. A C grade in one of those courses is the required minimum to attend UC or CSU. It doesn't look like that requirement has changed at all. So these students with a D grade in that class wouldn't be able to go to UC or CSU.

Naturally, Breitbart words things so it isn't that clear and tries to paint a picture of shuffling kids through school without teaching them. But the reality is, if the students get a D in a class, they should pass it. It ISN'T a failing grade. Especially if they aren't going to go to college anyways.

Here is a less biased source than Breitbart:
Graduating with a D? L.A. school board expected to lower diploma standard

Under a new proposal, the board is expected to lower the requirements, allowing students to receive a D in those courses and still graduate. UC and Cal State campuses require students to have a minimum of a C in those classes to be eligible for admission.

See, all they do is graduate, they still aren't eligible to go to college. The colleges aren't lowering their standards, the school board is lowering passing standards to what they should be 1.0 average (D average) or better. Plus, passing with a D isn't going to get you into any college anyways.
edit on 11-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Can't fail anybody these days because someone will cry racism or discrimination.

What a joke this country is.

Idiocracy is encroaching faster and faster.

>i709.photobucket.com...
edit on 11-6-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

A D is 60% in a class.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
YOU THINK THATS BAD!

Tony Blair was Prime Minister in the UK from 1997 - 2007, he vowed to increase education across the UK and succeeded by a staggering amount, he did this by lowering the pass grade needed!

Just this claim was made in August 2001 by Jeffrey Robinson, a senior examiner in GCSE maths for the OCR Examination Board. He said that pupils achieving As and Bs would have received C and D grades ten year s earlier. The pass mark for a C grade had fallen from 65% in 1989 to 48% in 2001. In the higher level paper, taken by those with a chance of gaining an A grade, the cut-score fo r a C had been lowered from 45% in 1988 to 20% in 2001

the full document of stats

I remember reading one study showing that in certain areas a passmark of 24% was needed for an A in math!

Another gem
standards deliberately lowered
edit on 11am161161America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jun 2015 11:09:18 -050006am6 by gazzerman because: found another source

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
Can't fail anybody these days because someone will cry racism or discrimination.

>i709.photobucket.com...

When you went to high school, if you got a D in a class at the end of the semester would they have failed you?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

No, it doesn't look like that is the case at all. It looks like this is only meant to help these students get a diploma. A C grade in one of those courses is the required minimum to attend UC or CSU. It doesn't look like that requirement has changed at all. So these students with a D grade in that class wouldn't be able to go to UC or CSU.

Naturally, Breitbart words things so it isn't that clear and tries to paint a picture of shuffling kids through school without teaching them. But the reality is, if the students get a D in a class, they should pass it. It ISN'T a failing grade. Especially if they aren't going to go to college anyways.

Here is a less biased source than Breitbart:
Graduating with a D? L.A. school board expected to lower diploma standard

Under a new proposal, the board is expected to lower the requirements, allowing students to receive a D in those courses and still graduate. UC and Cal State campuses require students to have a minimum of a C in those classes to be eligible for admission.

See, all they do is graduate, they still aren't eligible to go to college. The colleges aren't lowering their standards, the school board is lowering passing standards to what they should be 1.0 average (D average) or better. Plus, passing with a D isn't going to get you into any college anyways.

Yeah....it is the case....you are saying the same thing I am. If they "pass" then they could get into whatever college accepts their "passing". If they fail then they can't get a diploma and get into any college. A "C" simply gets them into certain colleges.

Hell....I am surprised passing with a C gets people into college. It is disappointing that there are SO many that can't even get a C that they have to change the rules for it.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer

>i709.photobucket.com...

When you went to high school, if you got a D in a class at the end of the semester would they have failed you?

When I went to school a 60-69% WAS failing.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Most definitely!

Same thing applied to college as well.

Why should we lower EVERYTHING to the lowest common denominator?

This will sure help our education standings versus other countries around the world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join