The piece I am going to paste below(With some editing)
Is only to stimulate debate.After reading it I'm sure you'll have your own opinions on what would happen.
1) Due to the enormously large internal friction between the crust
and the nucleus of the Earth, the planet will stop, i.e. will
stop its rotation around its axis. Thus, in one side of the globe
will be a long day and another side of the globe will experience a
long night. This will continue around 6-7 days. The map below shows
the day-night distribution:
(2) When the Earth stops its rotation, the waters (oceans and seas)
will continue their motion due to the inertia. This will produce
the inundation of large territories during only few hours. According
to the ZetaTalk (www.zetatalk.com), it is advised to be removed
at least 160 km from the nearest coast and to be at least 60 m
above the sea-level.
(3) The atmosphere also is free to move, so during the rotation
stoppage, it will continue to move producing strong winds, storms,
hurricanes, etc. Suggestion: do not stay in an open place.
The pole shift or, better to say, the breaking between the Earth nucleus
and the crust will release a huge energy, which will produce catastrophes
without precedent in the history of the humanity:
(4) The movement of tectonic plates leads to: (i) distancing between the
Europe and the Americas, (ii) size levelling of Atlantic and Pacific
oceans, (iii) the tectonic plate sustaining India moves below the
Himalayas, i.e. India disappear, (iv) the same happens with about
2/3 of Australia, disappears its west part, (v) emerging of a new
continent in the south part of Atlantic ocean.
(5) The earthquakes reach the magnitude "15" but Richter scale in some
parts of the planet, in the other parts the largest earthquakes do
not exceed 9 to 12 by the Richter scale. Such huge earthquakes
continue for some hours and later on for some 2-3 weeks "normal
earthquakes" (below 8.0) are felt.
(6) Practically all volcanoes erupt, new volcanoes in some places might
appear. New geological faults close to volcanoes are formed.
(7) Due to the volcanic eruption, the volcanic ash will cover sky for the
next two years after the upheavals. The acid rains are expected for
some 3-4 months worldwide and for few years near the active volcanoes
after the pole shift. The humidity will augment due to the rapid
evaporation of water from the seas and oceans.
(8) the structures of establishment (government, different institutions,
police, borders, banks, money, etc.) will disappear. Each survivor
will try to get out of the difficult situation by its own means.
(9) Will appear and increase rapidly hunger, illnesses, struggle for the
survival, cannibalism, etc.
OK,There you have it.As I stated above I have edited it.
I wonder what you all think would be the effects to us and our planet of a pole shift.
I look forward to reading your theories.
[Edited on 6-6-2003 by John bull 1]