It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engineers Have Created A Computer That Operates On Water Droplets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Researchers in the US have built a fully functioning computer that runs like clockwork - but instead of electrons, it operates using the movement of tiny magnetised water droplets. The ultimate goal is to use the machine to precisely control and manipulate matter, the same way that regular computers manipulate information.

"We already have digital computers to process information … Our goal is to build a completely new class of computers that can precisely control and manipulate physical matter," Manu Prakash, lead researcher and bioengineer at Stanford University, said in a press release. "Imagine if when you run a set of computations that not only information is processed but physical matter is algorithmically manipulated as well. We have just made this possible at the mesoscale [10 microns to 1 millimetre].”

I would Like to see how this can be used in matter transfer application .

Whelp, he did a great job of explaining exactly how the computer functions and the possibility.

It will be interesting to see where this goes , in way of Bio computing .

very neat ! You can read more HERE

your thoughts ?

edit on 10-6-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Very interesting, but it seems limited by the magnetising coils at the moment.
If it could all be minaturised I wonder what the medical peeps could use it for?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Looks amazing, kind of mind-blowing in a way.

Can anyone explain to me a theoretical application of this technology, if perfected?

My mind struggles to comprehend. So you can transfer information via loaded water droplets along specially designed circuits?

So, at the most, you could make a computer that runs on water, but what about a monitor? Wouldn't that need electricity?

They speak of manipulating physical matter and binary code being computed via water droplets that run along circuits like electrons would. It's not like you could literally alter or modify physical matter with this technology, right?

What would be a good application in the future? A machine that does .. what? what benefit or new service would it provide?
edit on 6/10/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

How about self-aware water-borne robots with artificial intelligence that continuosly runs off of this water system? No electricity needed.

Maybe you could make a robotic brain via this "water computer" technology, that lives off of water.

It'd be like a human being, except made out of artificial material with a water system instead of a blood system.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Chewing out arterial cholesterol?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor

How about self-aware water-borne robots with artificial intelligence that continuosly runs off of this water system? No electricity needed.

In the vid the circuitry is surrounded by several very large magnetising coils, they will be hungry for electricity, so it certainly will need a power source.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

In the vid the circuitry is surrounded by several very large magnetising coils, they will be hungry for electricity, so it certainly will need a power source.

True.

How about a battery that is re-charged via salt water, or perhaps retractable solar panels for alternate energy replenishment?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

!@#$% my plot to take over the world has been foiled, again!

This time by this plot to "take over" the entire universe
with smart little H2O droplettes. Bast ards.

edit on 10-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

What would be a good application in the future? A machine that does .. what? what benefit or new service would it provide?

Well, back when, the US used this sort of computer logic (albeit not synchronously, which this adds) for nuclear missile control. It's called fluidics, been around a long time.

Now you can make better fluidic logic. So I would guess we'll have even better missile controls.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Well, back when, the US used this sort of computer logic (albeit not synchronously, which this adds) for nuclear missile control. It's called fluidics, been around a long time.

Now you can make better fluidic logic. So I would guess we'll have even better missile controls.

Looking more and more like a warfare technology then.

Underwater robots that live off of salt water energy and fire nuclear missiles.

Lol..

Frikkin' SKYNET man .. SKYNET .. and Terminators and #

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm wondering if this is the 1st models for smart matter, nano particles that via code can transform into any shape or mechanism.

Also new means to measure vibrations / seismic activity and maybe even change color or texture when an earthquake is occurring.

Another thing that comes to mind is water pressure bubble transportation.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
I'm wondering if this is the 1st models for smart matter, nano particles that via code can transform into any shape or mechanism.

Also new means to measure vibrations / seismic activity and maybe even change color or texture when an earthquake is occurring.

Another thing that comes to mind is water pressure bubble transportation.

Pretty much none of the above. It's synchronous fluidic logic. You want to do some slow XORs with registered outputs, this is the thing for you.

top topics

join