It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeb Bush In 1995: Unwed Mothers Should Be Publicly Shamed

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

This is what I'm talking about.

Agree, disagree, shaming exists, has existed, will always exist.

It's not a new tool nor is it a new phenomenon.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
a reply to: beezzer

No worries.

I have NO problem with shaming racists/xenophobes/homophobes etc... none whatsoever. Its 2015, 1950s mentality has no place in our society anymore.

Right. So you love shaming as negative reinforcement for society to change negative behavior as long as you agree with the reason.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

No worries.

I have NO problem with shaming racists/xenophobes/homophobes etc... none whatsoever. Its 2015, 1950s mentality has no place in our society anymore.

Right. So you love shaming as negative reinforcement for society to change negative behavior as long as you agree with the reason.

If the reason is to ban homophobia/xenophobia/racism ...then yes. But thats just me, because i LOATHE anyone like that. With a passion.

Is shaming a good thing for society?...i doubt it. And i certainly would never want single mothers shamed, thats utterly disgusting.
edit on 11-6-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
People need to get a thicker skin. Shame and humiliation happen all the time across the board....

Wussification of America is what is happening, and it will be to the detriment of us all.

Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me....I don't remember the last time I heard any kids of the younger generation say that.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
People need to get a thicker skin. Shame and humiliation happen all the time across the board....

Wussification of America is what is happening, and it will be to the detriment of us all.

Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me....I don't remember the last time I heard any kids of the younger generation say that.

Count the UK in on that one too.

i agree. The "right to be offended" is one of the big negatives of the 21st century.

"You're offended?...well, i dont give a #"

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I like the VERY obvious slant on the article. Jeb Bush talks about how shaming could stop both young women AND men from irresponsible behavior, yet the title not only emphasizes but solely states he's targeting women.

Typical divisive BS. Perfect example of how to turn everything into a gender issue in 3 easy steps. Good job lefties, your BS craft is strong.

For the record I despise the entire Bush clan so hush if you plan to accuse me of being a conservative or a republican, wrong tree.

You see, when pointing out the faults of someone else, it's a good idea to make sure your integrity is intact. They failed horribly in that regard.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Because, you know, all those horrible people that leave because their spouses turn abusive or into drug addicts need to just stay and subject their children to all of it. If they don't, they deserve to be publicly shamed.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Jeb Bush talks about how shaming could stop both young women AND men from irresponsible behavior, yet the title not only emphasizes but solely states he's targeting women.

It wasn't men that had to put their sexual histories in the newspaper.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

No worries.

If the reason is to ban homophobia/xenophobia/racism ...then yes. But thats just me, because i LOATHE anyone like that. With a passion.

Is shaming a good thing for society?...i doubt it. And i certainly would never want single mothers shamed, thats utterly disgusting.

Shrug. At least you admit the hypocrisy which is a something most social justice warriors are unable to do.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Let's also not be too quick to only condemn Bush on this...

The bill passed the House of Representatives 108-8 with noted liberals like Lois Frankel supporting it.

It passed the State Senate by a vote of 30-8.

Governor Bush had received assurances from the bill’s sponsor, Democrat Senator Skip Campbell, that the disclosure requirement would be fixed. He welched on that commitment.

When the repeal bill reached GJB’s desk in 2003, he signed it.

Seems plenty on both sides like the idea initially.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: daryllyn

Jeb Bush talks about how shaming could stop both young women AND men from irresponsible behavior, yet the title not only emphasizes but solely states he's targeting women.

It actually required only those giving their kids up for adoption to do so for both them and the potential fathers. They were required to put up the name and description of any potentials, or if known, that one.

So....not only the women. Just happens that the women were the ones that were carrying the babies and giving them up...apparently the men were not in their lives anymore or the women just didn't want the baby they made by their own bad choices.....

edit on 6/11/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No worries.

Shrug. At least you admit the hypocrisy which is a something most social justice warriors are unable to do.

Social justice warrior? Because i want equality for every person? Thats fine. What does that make you then?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Just happens that the women were the ones that were carrying the babies and giving them up...apparently the men were not in their lives anymore or the women just didn't want the baby they made by their own bad choices..

Or..... maybe they realized they were ill equipped to raise a child alone, or provide the type of life that would be best for the child.

I have a huge amount of respect for people that are willing to recognize that, and willing to do the right thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

And it wasn't adult women that he wanted to parade in front of their friends in pink tutus and have them sweep the streets, it was kids:

In the context of present-day society we need to make kids feel shame before their friends rather than their family. The Miami Herald columnist Robert Steinback has a good idea. He suggests dressing these juveniles in frilly pink jumpsuits and making them sweep the streets of their own neighborhoods! Would these kids be so cavalier then?

So what's your point? Does he hate children too?

He definitely is attacking people, but it's not because of gender, regardless of how hard you are trying to make it into that. He is attacking poor people, young people, women, he is an equal opportunity a-hole.

But by all means, carry on with your gender antics if it pleases you.
edit on 11-6-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Just happens that the women were the ones that were carrying the babies and giving them up...apparently the men were not in their lives anymore or the women just didn't want the baby they made by their own bad choices..

Or..... maybe they realized they were ill equipped to raise a child alone, or provide the type of life that would be best for the child.

I have a huge amount of respect for people that are willing to recognize that, and willing to do the right thing.

Maybe they did realize that. That only goes more to the point that they made poor choices. If you are ill equipped to handle a kid 9 months before you have it then it is likely you were ill equipped well before that. Sure, circumstances can change for some for a downturn, but I would not bet that was the majority.

Doing the right thing would have been realizing you were ill equipped in the first place and using birth control, but hey...hindsight is always 20/20 right? So let's not have any consequences.....I would like to find out what percentage are repeaters of this behavior....

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

So you have never made a mistake? Never messed up? Never done something to later regret it? Never gotten caught up in the moment only to realize later, that it was a bad idea?

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

I agree that pregnancy is preventable, especially if multiple methods are put into place, but I will never look down on someone who realizes the mistake they have made, understood the effects it would have, and took steps to make it right.

Do you think that putting a child up for adoption is an easy solution? It most certainly is not. It's a painful decision, that has a lasting impact on the mother. An impact that will most certainly haunt them for the remainder of their lives.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
What’s worst than this is that Americans don’t see his brother for what he is:

A mass murderer, war criminal, and menace to the human race

Now that’s something to be ashamed about but he has no shame

He’s too blind to see his own evil deeds

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

So you have never made a mistake? Never messed up? Never done something to later regret it? Never gotten caught up in the moment only to realize later, that it was a bad idea?

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

I agree that pregnancy is preventable, especially if multiple methods are put into place, but I will never look down on someone who realizes the mistake they have made, understood the effects it would have, and took steps to make it right.

Do you think that putting a child up for adoption is an easy solution? It most certainly is not. It's a painful decision, that has a lasting impact on the mother. An impact that will most certainly haunt them for the remainder of their lives.

Sure I have made mistakes. None that have made so much of an impact that lawmakers create a law just because of only my mistake. This becoming something that was even voted on lets me know that a few thousand or more made the mistake.

Like I said, I am sure there were a few that are as you said....but I would also say the majority likely weren't. It's called consequences of actions, and people SHOULD be held accountable for them. Maybe not in the way that this law said, but they should be responsible in some way. It is funny that a father that doesn't want to have anything to do with his child is made to pay child support, yet a mother that doesn't can just give them up....interesting huh?

Oh, and please spare me about the poor mom that has to give her kid up for adoption. She made her bed. I would be more concerned with the kid. I should know....my brother and I were both adopted at birth. Poor mom...having to give her kid up and live with that her whole life....cry me a river and take some responsibility.

Sorry, but the whole adoption BS is a sore point for me.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

No worries.

Social justice warrior? Because i want equality for every person? Thats fine. What does that make you then?

No you don't. You said it yourself--your shaming and outrage is selective.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
With the amount of "unwed Mothers" there are in the USA, if Jeb started to Shame them publically in 1995 he still wouldn't be finished today...

Maybe we should make them wear the scarlett letter.
edit on PM4Thu20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join