It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creativity May Be Linked with Psychiatric Disorders (Schizophrenia/Bipolar)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
By the numbers - those suffering from schizophrenia and/or bipolar disorder have a higher level of creativity than those who don't suffer from those illness'. So while these illness' are a very heavy burden to carry, they can often times have a bit of a silver lining. If the psychology/psychiatric fields can tap into that, and use this knowledge in therapy, that would be an awesome thing! Help channel the patients energy into creative fields ... it would be a good distraction from the burden of the illness and uplifting for the patient to have something positive to build on.

Exceptionally interesting article.

Creativity May Be Genetically Linked with Psychiatric Disorders

n the study, researchers looked at genetic material from more than 86,000 people in Iceland and identified genetic variants that were linked with an increased risk of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The investigators then looked for these variants in a group of more than 1,000 people who were members of national societies of artists, including visual artists, writers, actors, dancers and musicians in Iceland.

The study revealed that the people in these artistic societies were 17 percent more likely to carry those variants linked with the mental health conditions than were people in the general population, who were not members of these societies.

"The results of this study should not have come as a surprise, because to be creative, you have to think differently from the crowd," study author Kari Stefansson, the founder and CEO of deCODE, a genomic analysis company, said in a statement. "And we had previously shown that carriers of genetic factors that predispose to schizophrenia do so."

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
But but yesterday it was caused by cats. How can this be. Ut oh, what if you're creative and used your cat as a model???? That can't be good.
edit on 6102015 by AutumnWitch657 because: you, your, you're

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There is a fine line between genius and madness. I think I have been hearing that saying all my life.

Check out this newspaper article from 2009.

Psychologists have discovered that creative people have a gene in common which is also linked to psychosis and depression.They believe that the findings could explain why "geniuses" like Vincent van Gogh and Sylvia Plath displayed such destructive behaviour. The gene, which is called neuregulin 1, plays a role in brain development but a variant of it is also associated with mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

The Telegraph

edit on 10-6-2015 by Jonjonj because: added content

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
But but yesterday it was caused by cats. How can this be. Ut oh, what if your creative and used your cat as a model???? That can't be good.

Then you'd just be one more of millions making silly cat memes on the internet. In other words, you should be dragged outside and shot.

jk, but no really, I'm tired of cat memes.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I urge caution about anything psychiatric. Particularly so called "disorders".

There are 300 or so defined disorders in the psychiatric dictionary. None of them has a concrete diagnostic method and almost all have one or more pills assigned for treatment. Even the lead author of the medical dictionary admits they basically make it all up.

There is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bull#. I mean, you just can’t define it. -Dr. Allen Frances

Dr. Allen Frances is the man who, in 1994, headed up the project to write the latest edition of the psychiatric bible, the DSM-IV. This tome defines and labels and describes every official mental disorder. The DSM-IV eventually listed 297 of them.

In an April 19, 1994, New York Times piece, “Scientist At Work,” Daniel Goleman called Frances “Perhaps the most powerful psychiatrist in America at the moment…”

h/t Jon Rappoport

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I've kind of had this belief for a while. Nice to see it being confirmed. Look how many great authors or musicians were alcoholics/substance abuse, violent, lifelong destitute, terrible social lives, etc. All things that are classic indicators of mental illness. It's one of the reasons I refuse to medicate myself for my ADD and choose to just handle it on my own.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

You think you've been hearing that all your life? Did you have a cat when you were a kid?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
I urge caution about anything psychiatric. Particularly so called "disorders".

Caution ... sure. But disorders are real. So are mental illness'.
1/5 of us all will have them or be hit with one at some point.
The DSM has been fluid in what is a disorder and what isn't.
But it's safe to say that schizophrenia and bipolar ARE illness'.
(not through the fault of the person suffering from them).

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Sorry, but that's pure Bull! How could the psychs know 1 in 5 will have disorders when they can't even define them?

Bi-polar, a 'chemical imbalance' is so bogus that they cannot even measure one of the chemicals in the body whatsoever.

The Psych industry has morphed into a big pharma retail outlet. That's the purpose of these 'disorders'. Drug them.

The biggest fraud ever perpetrated. I makes me suspect a vested interest on your part.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Not only can they name the chemicals in the brain ( dopamine, serotonin, norepinepherine, ect ) and explain how and why they work - they can use cat scans to watch it happening in real time. The only "unknown" is that with some medications they are unsure how and why they effect these chemicals in the manner that they do.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but it's incorrect and misleading.

edit on 6/10/15 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
I makes me suspect a vested interest on your part.

Yeah ... like I"m heavily invested in big pharma ... /sarcasm
Paranoia .. that's a disorder.

edit on 6/10/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Mental Illnesses are very real and they can be trace to their origin, but mental disorders are more of a term that the scientific community has tagged in this modern times to find a treatment to what can not be understood and can not be traced as a mental illness, we all can have in one given moment a mental disorder and get over it, while a mental illness is no as easy to get over.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

so is delusion....

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
so is delusion....

Are you saying that it's delusional to believe that schizophrenia and biopolar are real illness' for people? You think that it's delusional that science has discovered (as Hefficide pointed out) dopamine, serotonin, and norepinepherine in the body? Considering the vast amounts of collaborating information on this, isn't it more accurate to say that it's delusional to claim that they don't exist?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

After reading the article I can see the links that the medical community found when it comes to creativity and Been different from the rest of the population, is like everything, if we were all the same humans will be like a one collective minded organism but rather we are all different in various degrees.

We all have some artistic attributes but it only takes special people to create incredible and unforgettable art that will be admired for decades and even centuries.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

While I agree with you in stressing the need for caution in taking ANYONE'S word as infallible proof on ANYTHING. Don't go all Tom Cruise/Brooke Shields on those who have come to the realization they need help.

There is no dout, in my opinion, that Big Pharma finances the research and publication of DVM thru trade groups just as they finance the salaries of everyone at the FDA which is supposed to assure consumer/patient protections.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: fshrrex

Is interesting, that we know tagging disorders of the mind in order to gain more profits when it comes to treatments is the trend for companies like big pharma, but I will be darn if they will start treating those with creativity with medications to stop what make them special.

I will never be able to see the agenda behind that, if is one.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: fshrrex

Big pharma actually does almost zero research towards psych disorders. Other than an endless stream of variants of the Fluoxetine molecule ( Prozac ) the medications in use, today, are pretty much the same ones that have been used for nearly a century in some cases. Lithium, bicyclic and tricyclic antidepressants, anticonvlusants and a host of others. If you research this topic you'll find that most psychiatric drugs were designed for something else and only in use did doctors begin to see that they had side effects that worked on brain chemistry - which led to them being cross prescribed for psych issues.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Since I'm tired and miserable and annoyed at everything:
A glorious vision of the future with all the bad genes taken out of everybody...just happy smiling literal-minded humourless workers as far as the eye can see.
Depression: a thing of the past.
Anxiety: only in history books.
Suicidal tendencies: only in horror movies (if movies exist).

Gattaca, meet Orwell. Feel free to invite Equilibrium to your horrific sex party.

Also I wonder if the reason why our current pop culture is about everything retro, because all the crazy genius artists are in therapy and medicated to the eyeballs?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

They do have a diagnostic method, it is called the DSM V:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) is the 2013 update to the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) classification and diagnostic tool. In the United States the DSM serves as a universal authority for psychiatric diagnosis. Treatment recommendations, as well as payment by health care providers, are often determined by DSM classifications, so the appearance of a new version has significant practical importance.

Link

Now, how accurate and what that diagnostic manual says....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join