It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent, disturbing films...is it "just a movie"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I've seen a couple recent thread comments defending extremely violent films. Well, not really defending the film, but admonishing 'overly-sensitive' people to "lighten up, it's just a movie. You're over-reacting".
It's not real. You're sitting in a theater. Your mind "knows" that this is just a film.

Now, we all know that it's not good to be 'overly' sensitive. This world can be cold and cruel at times, and will chew you up and spit you out if you're not tough. So maybe seeing some violent content and getting somewhat de-sensitized to it is good? Maybe it's somehow helping us?

But then there is the school of thought that says everything we see and hear may actually affect and influence us far more deeply than we realize. One's subconscious mind doesn't perceive it as "just a movie."
Are these images actually toxic to our minds?. You wouldn't drink poison, but you'll watch slasher movies?

Unlike drinking poison, the effects aren't immediate. They're happening to your mind. (One could easily argue that it's not good to see someone getting their head chopped off. Period. Real or not. On any level.)

We've probably heard stories about parents letting their kids watch horror movies. My sister had a friend (a single mother) who let her
6 and 8 year- old son and daughter watch 'Jeepers Creepers'. A sensible person would agree that this is irresponsible. Like many "adult"
behaviors, does it somehow become OK to watch this stuff when one turns 16? 18?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

You make a good point, reminds me a lot of the fact that as much as I say commercials don't affect me as I'm above that, they truly do. When i go to the store I instantly go to the things I recognize, even if I've never even tried it before.

However, the reason why society feels it's okay for a 15+year old to watch certain things while it's not okay for a younger person is simply because the belief that the older we get the easier we have at rationlizing things. A 8year old may (probably will) think that the events that are taking place are real. While we who are older know that they are fake events. (Despite the fact that some horror movies are based on true stories/have/are happening.)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
There is a ton of good scientific research out there that began in the 1960's that shows that violence in the media is translated into violent behavior in real life.

Now a lot of you will scream, not me, not true.
The violence industry screams, not me, not true.
But it is true.
And there is more good, solid, unbiased research proving it true than disproving it.

public.psych.iastate.edu...

I will expound in my next post.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm not going to force my preferences on others but I came to the realization that much of the entertainment in America is conditioning for war abroad and the police state fascism at home. By participating in those venues, I was contributing to the degeneracy.

I will never watch another war movie or cop drama or medical drama again. Anything glamorizing guns shooting, killing, pain and suffering etc. I'll instantly turn it off. Sports are still on but the commercials are revolting. On the NBA finals last night there was an ad for a new show called "Quantico". You know that is about the FBI, so there's no way in hell I would watch that. The commercial had no words. Just a beautiful, dark haired, dark eyed female wrapped in an FBI flag. She had chained shackles on just staring with big eyes. That is some sick, demented programming if you ask me.

Committing to getting outside and creating real experiences has definitely benefited me. I highly recommend it.
edit on 10-6-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Of course they influence us and younger minds even more so, everything we experience influences us and brutality were it in a movie or in real life makes our minds process such things and so influences our thinking, creates understandings/confusion, adds anxiety/relief etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

cursor.org...
This was the first study to prove that violence in the media causes violent behavior.

For those of you who believe that police have
become more violent and are more of a problem now than ever before:
Look at mass media that the police have been exposed to most of their lives
How do the police role models that the police
have seen all their lives on TV solve problems?
What happens to most really bad criminals
at the end of nearly all mass media shows and video games?
Are the police gentle in solving crimes and dealing with criminals?
How do the police role models that all police now have grown up with
react after a kill?
Normally on most shows I see they stand around and laugh and joke.

I once pointed out this problem in a thread
and was laughed at saying it could not influence police.
Well, it does, you can't grow up all your life watching police kill
nearly every bad guy, and get a pat on the back
while your fellow officers laugh and joke with you over the body
(bodies) and not have it affect you.

What is the most hypocritical is that
the people who make these violent films
showing all the worst and most gory gun crimes one could imagine
and making heroes out of vigilantes who use guns
and make super heroes out of police
who shoot first and ask questions later:
are the same people who say that guns are a problem -
maybe it is the role models that children
are growing up with in the media (TV, Movies,Video Games)
that are the problem
not the guns

It has been proven over 50 years
and without a shadow of a scientific doubt
violence in the media
TV, Movies, Video Games
CAUSES violence in real life.

Do you think society has become more violent?
Do you think people over react, especially authority figures?
Look at what has been drilled into all the brains
of nearly all US citizens by TV,Movies,Video Games.
People are desensitized to committing violence
at the drop of a hat as a way to behave
toward their fellow human beings;
and then we become surprised and outraged at the offender?
How about outrage vented where it belongs?
The creators and consumers of violent media.

Don't believe me?
Look at the facts
and then look at yourself
and wonder why you think that trash won't affect your mind,
and why you like that trash,
and if the high you get off it just might someday translate
into a horrific accident you never intended or thought you would do

edit on 9Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:21:55 -0500am61006amk103 by grandmakdw because: spelling addition format

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You're one of the types who gets angry at kids playing Grand Theft Auto and think they go out and start shooting up shopping malls because they play those games aren't you?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdNCursed
While we who are older know that they are fake events. (Despite the fact that some horror movies are based on true stories/have/are happening.)

Don't worry, any movie that says it is based on a true story, is likely VERY embellished to the point of fiction anyways. And if it says, "inspired by true events", then all bets are off. It's probably mostly fiction.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Indeed, I was more indicating towards movies which don't label them as truestories/based on a true story etc. Movies such as Hostel. Things that we know are/have/do happen, even if they are most likely blown up in the theatres to attract more viewers.

Not movies like, hell, I can't think of it's name.. The one which was viewed through the actors point of view in the movie, that they video taped... You know the one. ^^

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
IMO it also has to do with your personality. If you're prone to violence, these types of movies and games may effect the way you respond to them or certain situations. I'm not a violent person, yet I've played violent video games, watched all kinds of violent/slasher movies and even own guns. I have yet to beat someone for no reason or go on a shooting rampage. Neither has my son, who watches movies and plays games. Or any of my friends who do. Or anyone I've ever known. Although I do know a guy who hates slasher movies [ he say it's just all fake anyway ] and doesn't like video games, yet will fight at the slightest provocation. Go figure.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Well, I can only speak for myself.

I was that kid that got to watch cujo, and all kinds of other horror movies.
With adults.
That sat down with me, and explained the hows and whys.
Seems like it would have taken most of the fun out of it for me really.

But horror is still my favorite genre, and I have yet to harm anyone with a chainsaw, nor sewn people together, so I guess I'm ok.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You're one of the types who gets angry at kids playing Grand Theft Auto and think they go out and start shooting up shopping malls because they play those games aren't you?

After showing the research and talking about it to one of my university classes:
a student came up to me and said she used to think like you, it was not a problem.

Then she played a violent car chase game with her friends that she normally enjoyed,
and found when she drove home, she was driving similarly aggressively to what she
did in the video. It shocked her and awakened her to the affect that these games
do have on the mind.

Are you one of the people who are incensed at what the media says is increasingly
violent police?
Where do you think they learned the behavior that disturbs you?
Or do you think that all the TV shows they watched and watch, and the movies they see,
and the games they play don't serve as role models, with the heroes violent and
murderous toward "bad guys"?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

While we who are older know that they are fake events. (Despite the fact that some horror movies are based on true stories/have/are happening.)

Don't worry, any movie that says it is based on a true story, is likely VERY embellished to the point of fiction anyways. And if it says, "inspired by true events", then all bets are off. It's probably mostly fiction.

We should worry.

It is not one film
one TV show
playing one game
that causes problems,
it is the constant and consistent
bombardment of the message:
killing people is the way to solve problems
beating people is the way to solve problems
good guys shoot first and ask questions later
good guys beat the cr-- out of people, or kill them,
and are rewarded for it.

Worst of all are the hollywood hypocrites:

who scream about violence in real life
then stuff it down the throats of people:

who tell police through their shows
that the best way is to kill first then ask questions:
then get angry when the police kill:

who demonstrate how to commit mass murder
and then become enraged when someone commits mass murder:

who say guns are the problem - when they are teaching people how to use
guns in the most horrific and inappropriate ways imaginable

edit on 9Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:36:05 -0500am61006amk103 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Also makes me think of watching/experiencing things that have the OPPOSITE effect (I think of watching live concerts of Bob Marley for example), and I'm really glad you brought this up. We should all try to be conscious of what images/themes we are exposing ourselves to on a daily basis.

Great thread, thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the subject. S & F!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Did you know that the chief source of income these days for Hollywood isn't America, but the foreign market? That's why so many crappy CGI and explosion fest movies are made these days. Eye candy and poorly written plots translate easily into other languages and those markets are eating this crap up.

Hollywood Is Now Making Films For Foreign Markets, And Their Taste In Movies Is Awful

So if what you are saying is true, then we should be able to track an increase in violent activity in these other countries, correct?

Also, keep in mind that Japan produces a lot of violent video games too (the Resident Evil series comes to mind), their culture isn't nearly as violent as ours.

So methinks there is more going on than just violent media makes violent people. I'm sure there is some effect on the easily influenced, but then again, you can never account for all possibilities.

I say all this as a non-violent person too. The last thing I want is to engage in violence or go to war, yet I've consumed SOOOOO much violent media in my day. I've seen both Hostel 1 and 2 for instance and I've played more violent video games than I can remember. Though I wouldn't try to suggest that my personal anecdote is indicative of everyone, that is intellectually dishonest.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

We should worry.

First off, that post was about Hollywood fictionalizing true stories and trying to pass them off as truth. It really didn't pertain to violent media causing violence.

So what about blaming the media then for constantly exposing us to horrible news stories? We all intrinsically know that the world isn't nearly as bad as the media portrays it, but watching the news, you'd think that if you walk outside you are likely to be robbed and beaten by roving gangs of violence.

Meh, media is pretty notorious for showing how NOT to use a gun properly. Like if you tried to fire two pistols simultaneously, you'd likely only hit your target if extremely lucky (since you can't aim properly with two guns in your hands). The biggest laugh I ever got witnessing the media mishandling guns was watching Assault on Precinct 13 where every time someone picked up a gun, they'd pull the charging handle (even when someone picks a gun off a recently slain person).

If you get your gun instruction from Hollywood, you are more likely to hurt yourself than actually go out and do any violent rampages.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know you want to believe it doesn't affect people, but the scientific research says otherwise.

It will not affect all people, and you are one of the lucky ones.

It will drastically affect up to 20% of all people.
Because around 20% of the entire population has
severe issues at any given time.

It will mildly affect 20-40% of all people, to varying
degrees of just a tiny bit, to somewhat effected.

And it will not affect around 40% of people.

But just because you are one of the 40% doesn't negate the fact that it does affect the majority of people, even if in some small and nearly unobservable way (like driving patterns just after playing a violent driving game).
You are a sample size of 1, which tells us nothing at all about how the rest of the people in the world are affected.
This is a way of thinking that one says to oneself, my personal experience is the experience of the entire world.
Well sorry, research and reality says you can not judge the behavior of all humans with a sample size of 1, your own personal experience.

As for the foreign market, Japan has stopped reproducing almost entirely.
They are just giving up as a species. Is that normal behavior?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I suspect rather than violent movies leading to violent action, it de-sensitizes the populace, especially youth.

It introduces a 'norm', an acceptability of violence as natural or a given.

I prefer uplifting movies. Sea Biscuit, is an example. On the other end of the scale, Seven was so negative, I was outrage by it. In most violent movies, the good guys win out in the end. One enjoys the relief from the violence and it implies 'everyone lives happily ever after'.

Seven took it to another level. No one 'won'. The bad guy, the good guy, no one...utterly depressing.

Bottom line. it what sells...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

We should worry.

First off, that post was about Hollywood fictionalizing true stories and trying to pass them off as truth. It really didn't pertain to violent media causing violence.

So what about blaming the media then for constantly exposing us to horrible news stories? We all intrinsically know that the world isn't nearly as bad as the media portrays it, but watching the news, you'd think that if you walk outside you are likely to be robbed and beaten by roving gangs of violence.

Meh, media is pretty notorious for showing how NOT to use a gun properly. Like if you tried to fire two pistols simultaneously, you'd likely only hit your target if extremely lucky (since you can't aim properly with two guns in your hands). The biggest laugh I ever got witnessing the media mishandling guns was watching Assault on Precinct 13 where every time someone picked up a gun, they'd pull the charging handle (even when someone picks a gun off a recently slain person).

If you get your gun instruction from Hollywood, you are more likely to hurt yourself than actually go out and do any violent rampages.

Umm, the news is part of mass media

You make my point about guns, they never show how to use them properly,
they are nearly always used in a quite dangerous and improper way.
Thanks for making my point there.

Do you believe police are out of control?
Have you ever looked at their role models that
they have seen their entire lives, for 4+ hours per
day on average, for their whole lives?
In mass media, police kill then ask questions,
in mass media, police beat then ask questions,
in mass media, police close the doors and hit with the cameras turned off?

And you don't think the police who have been exposed to
well over 9,000+ hours of this,

from the time they are children until
they enter the force
are affected by it?

edit on 10Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:01:13 -0500am61006amk103 by grandmakdw because: grammar spelling format

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've always had a strong distaste for horror movies.

But I do enjoy violent video games. Going to be getting Mortal Kombat X soon and that's about as 'gorenographic' as it gets.

I donno perhaps I don't mind it in the context that I have some control over.

Horror movies though, just no thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join