It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Its free to get it the software, it doesnt mention the price per month to keep using it.....

Yeah monthly sub for your OS platform, i can smell it in the air.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Win 10 promises a full support cycle. Whatever comes next might be subscription based. It's definitely going to be a rolling release and probably either subscription or freemium modeled.

The only catch I see currently is if MS releases the next thing in a year or so... They'd still support 10 - but "Windows" ( without numbers - which is the slated name of what comes next ) might make 10 obsolete. A trick... Oh, we ARE supporting 10. We never said programs would still run on it....

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Win 10 promises a full support cycle. Whatever comes next might be subscription based. It's definitely going to be a rolling release and probably either subscription or freemium modeled.

The only catch I see currently is if MS releases the next thing in a year or so... They'd still support 10 - but "Windows" ( without numbers - which is the slated name of what comes next ) might make 10 obsolete. A trick... Oh, we ARE supporting 10. We never said programs would still run on it....

And for these reasons that we speculate my laptop which came with *foul language removed* windows 8 on will get upgraded to 10 and my win7 desktop will stay a win7 desktop till theres something that cant run on it that i need (maybe want, if its a game), which should be a good while yet.

I feel compelled to have one device with 10 on it to keep up with the times since i work in IT, but also partlky because i think win8 is a disgusting pile of vista manure.

edit on b1212155 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I can't see how individual users would put up with a subscription service to use an OS when every other OS in the world allows you to use it forever once you own it.

For now , I can see the OS Oligopoly [MS and Apple] joining together down the road and going to subscription base. I'm sure you are aware thats what they all want , and thats why all the buzz about the cloud. Why charge you once when they can keep charging you forever to get access to your data. Than when you die they can give you a family plan to pass those pictures a letters to your family members.

Hopefully, the linux distributions will continue as they are, open and free for the most part.
Linux is great and I'm actually using it as I type, but for the general public it can't compete with MS or Apple in regards to user familiarity, terminology, ease of use. However, I see a good pop of the general users making a linux migration once they go to subscription base.

The other stuff about the NSA and windows 10 is just hogwash. Not in the sense that they aren't doing it but in the sense that you are already exposed whether using windows 10, iphone, macs, linus, etc. The real snoop is at the network layer and even your computers hardware.

The thing that bothers me about the windows 10 upgrade is the fact that I have to take their updates. So I can see it down the road that they will make my computer look and feel like my phone. I didn't like it when ubuntu tried to do it and I won't like it when MS tries to do it. The difference with ubuntu I still could install kde not so sure MS will be friendly in allowing that in their eco system down the road.
edit on 40831America/ChicagoFri, 21 Aug 2015 13:40:27 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
Just kind of makes me think.

Microsoft never gives away free upgrade to new platforms. Why now? (OK MAYBE as a promotional item, but not like this.)

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

Something smells here.

I understand that it is easier to maintain only one platform, but FREE?

You mean like OSx?

But bith Apple and Microsoft have now succeed in wheeling everyone in and make them depended on them.
Windows 10 is most likely a major surveillence system. Nothing is private anymore...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Usually, when you get something for "free", there are strings attached. In the case of Windows10, the loss of privacy is just the beginning. Soon, after enough data has been collected regarding your browsing habits, expect to see targeted, personalized ads rising up on the lower-right side of your screen at regular intervals, with no safe/reliable way to turn them off.

That being said, the "Edge" browser is working FAR FAR better with AboveTopSecret.com than I.E.11 did/does. No distracting animations, pop-ups, etc.. Takes me back to how this website used to behave 8 years ago. Stable and a joy to read. I have to thank Microsoft for Edge, if nothing else.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join