It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Russia grounds Tu-95 fleet after accident

page: 1

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:44 PM
Russia has announced the second grounding of their Tu-95 Bear bomber fleet in the last two years. One of the aircraft was attempting to take off when it suffered an engine fire. As a result they ran off the end of the runway, killing one crew member and seriously injuring another.

The previous grounding came in 2013 when a fire broke out behind the cockpit as an aircraft taxied for takeoff.

This has been a rough week for the Russian air force. A MiG-29 on a training flight crashed the other day. The same day an Su-34 suffered a problem with the drag chute, resulting in the aircraft going off the runway and flipping. All three pilots in both aircraft were able to get out safely.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:23 PM
Aging fleets and not enough money does that.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:25 PM
a reply to: Blackfinger

I'm surprised our fleets haven't gotten there yet.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:13 PM
a reply to: Zaphod58

Based on the way the decision makers are making decisions it's more a question of when rather than if it seems.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:24 PM
Aren't the Ruskies pushing all their gear out into exercises constantly? Probing here, violating airspaces over there, large scale mobilizations whenever Putin needs to show who is in charge? Lots of wear and tear on the old junk.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:33 PM
Do they have pre flight check protocols that could have prevented this like a full throttle engine test on the end of the runway or apron somewhere to make sure everything is safe of or take off?

Or is this common in engines and there is no way to prevent it. (I.e. there is no warning before the thing bursts into flames? )

Either way glad the pilots made it out ok.
edit on 9-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:12 PM
They have had the same issues with the Tu-160, basically their quality control has been crap for the past 25 years.

The Tu-160 is similar to the B1-B as a supersonic tactical bomber. They started a program to modernize them around the early 90's and finally rolled the first "updated" bomber in 2014 (and it still had mostly analog equipment pretty much).

What's happening with mostly a lot of Russian programs (including Soyuz and most of energia too), is basically the pay sucks and most of the old engineers are retiring (or dying of old age), not to mention lots of fraud (I think its pretty 50/50).

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:09 AM

Lol such bashing of Russian hardware

While a whole book can be written on problems with F-35 and even f-22 raptors

There is a reason F-16 remains the workhorse, cheap reliable uncomplicated
edit on 10-6-2015 by OldIsNewAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:23 AM
a reply to: OldIsNewAgain

What bashing? Point out anywhere I bashed Russian hardware. It's simple reporting of actual facts that happened for people that are interested.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:25 AM
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Sometimes the vibration of full power causes things to come loose. I've seen fire warning lights that only occurred at specific weight and takeoff power. Change either and it wouldn't happen.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:02 AM

Our fleet of aircraft isn't there yet... thanx to many many hours put into the fleet by USAF maintainers...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:07 AM
a reply to: madmac5150

Which has serious manning issues...

Issues so bad a new program is starting up where maintainers from the reserve and guard can go active duty for 1-3 years.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:41 AM

I think Russia should convert their planes into automatic or human piloted suicide tomahawk cruise missiles

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:52 AM
It isn't surprise as Tupolev Tu-95 is really old plane, and it's the only strategic bomber in service using propellers in the world. It's the noisiest plane ever created, I guess it gives it some fear factor. The propellers spin as supersonic speed, breaking the sound barrier, that's why it is so loud.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:12 AM
Another Tu-95MS Bear H has crashed.

Tu-95 crashed near Khabarovsk
07/14/2015 11:06:23
Moscow. July 14th. Interfax-AVN - Tu-95MS bombers crashed when performing routine training flight 80 km from Khabarovsk at 09:50 Moscow time, the Russian Defense Ministry informs.
"The crew left the aircraft. The flight was carried out without ammunition", - the report says press control Service and Information Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation, which was received by the "Interfax-AVN" on Tuesday.
It is noted that "the plane crashed in an uninhabited area on the ground destructions."
This is not the first incident with the aircraft of this type in recent years. June 9 this year, a strategic missile-carrier bomber Tu-95 skidded off the runway in the Amur region on Monday during a routine training flights at the airport "Ukrainka".
The incident resulted in the death of one crew member, the others received injuries of varying severity.

new topics

top topics