It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which of these entrances scares you the most?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
a reply to: Agartha

Thank you....

I.needed that

You are welcome!

I believe inspiration and messages come when we least expect it.

edit on 13-6-2015 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

i have re-thought my position on this - and while my earlier post is wholey accurate and reflects my experience and outlook

for the benefit of ATS , a qualification is in order , or : risk assesement - welcome to my world :

1 - ice cave - ice can be funny stuff - its often dificukt to tell if its more resiliant than concrete or so rotten that one touch causes a cascade collapse .

standing // running water = bad news when dealing with ice - as it can weaken what you are relying on

slopes are trecheraus - ice has a very low coeficient of friction - and without crampons // axes may be imposibl to traverse safely

lastly - pretty icicles are pretty - but also heavy - and if they fall - you dont want to be under them

2 - tunnel mouth [ assumed to be a disused rail tunnel ] - unless the opiosite portal is back filled // walled up - air quality will be fine . its the floor and tunnel bow that need inspection - any bulges in the brickwork COULD indicate that collapse - total or partial is iminent

look for " random " bricks and dressed stone on the floor - chances are they came from the roof

also airshafts can drop things on you - it may be a pretty view upto daylight - but the rubble and crap at the shaft base - came down that hole ant high speed

lastly - the floor - tunnels often have drainaige ` grips ` along them - that can be hidden by debris or water - and if there is a grip - it can contain sumps or inspection pits - that care often 2m deep - falling in one is unpleasant - and if you have disturbed the silt - they are invisible till - plop

3 - derelict building - given the obvious state of dis-repair visible from the outside - one step at a time - if the internal floor is wooden - thats the first thing to be aware of - the floor could ide a drop of 30cm or 5m to a cellar

the integrity of ceilings and stairs is also suspect in such decrepit buildings - if the ceiling above you is sagging - dont go up and walk on it

4 - outbuilding / shed - aigain general structural integrity issues

5 - well / mine shaft - unless an airflow can be detected - airquality may be poor below the surface - with various gasses primary : carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulphide and methane from biological or geological action

also the ginging [ the term for the blocks lining the shaft ] can be dangerously loose and collapse if disturbed

i would tackle that with a tripod over the hole - so that the man going down [ and all rigging // equipment ] can avoid contacting the sides a 4 gas analysier = esential - plus a rescue plan if the first descender encounters dificukties

6 - hole could be an animal burrow - cave entrance or ??????? - investigate further - animal lairs are usualy fairly obvious - and unlikley to be worth investifation - but if its a cave or the opening of a mine - whoo hoo

first key issue : stability . stability , stability

did i mention stability ?

also - the most dangerous section is the transition from daylight - into the opening - as you cannot see whats infront // below you , a drop could be 10cm or 100m - never commit untill you know and boulder chokes could be one tough from collapse - pinning you in the hole

and always have a plan to retreat - gravity can get you in a hole - but you need to know you can clib back out

back up and a handline should be esentioal - and a proper saftey line // belay if unsure

7 - stair to cellar - whats the stair made of ? wood or metal ? ? dependant on age - it could collapse if weighted - how old is it - and what will it drop you into ???

old industrial // military buildings can contain chemical store that leak and asbestos which deterorates

also any manner of waste materials may have been dumped

8 - ` port cullis ` into building - see above - with the addedd question - can the gate be locked behind me

hopefully that will be usefull to someone - for any number of reasons

having ` no fear ` of such structures doesnt imply recklessness .

PS - i realise i have not addressed the issue of hostile // dangerous fauna - for the simple reason that i have no actual experience of such situations - we have only one venomous snake in the uk - its rare and it has not fatally bitten anyone in over 40 years .

so - make of that what you will - dont be scared - but dont approach potentially hazardous situations without an understanding of the risks - a plan and the equipment to suceed

at the minimum - boots - not trainers to protect against sharps / nails etc - and gloves

head torches are esential if ypu are out of range of sunlight - you may need both hands free

and back-ups - with spare batteries - a torch becomes ballast if it fails for any reason

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Fantastic assessment. Most everything boils down to stability. Such a dangerous creature it is.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Wow ignorant ape! (I feel bad calling you like that... just saying..lol)
What a fantastic assessment and I agree with you... but I still fear number 8, the fear of being locked away against my will. Well done, pal!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join