It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says its Shendiao drone can stop American stealth aircraft from invading Chinese airspace

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
A Eurofighter Typhoon pilot said he could see the F-22 at 50km with IRST head on. The radar cross section can be very hard to detect but improvements in IRST can detect the engine exhaust and a hot airframe as it heats up from air friction. The B-2 was also seen on IR which I saw in a doco a few years ago, don't know if they've fixed it up, but 4 huge jet engines will create a lot of heat which is hard to hide.

They are not using the full suite of technologies in those tests. The US does not allow even it's closest of allies to see the full bag of tricks.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
How can they claim to be able to detect American stealth aircraft when no one outside of a very few Americans know what makes the aircraft stealthy.

You actually believe this ?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OldIsNewAgain

originally posted by: Forensick
How can they claim to be able to detect American stealth aircraft when no one outside of a very few Americans know what makes the aircraft stealthy.

You actually believe this ?

Lol, I know it.

Do you know what stealth is?
edit on 10 6 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: intrptr

HA .lets see ONE F15 get knocked down air to air then we'll talk.

China doesn't have to "knock down" anything except the US dollar, but if it comes to a shooting war, the Chinese know they can't beat our fighters, they also know how long the vulnerable supply line is all the way across the Pacific.

Something over extended empires always overlook.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

If they DO engage ANY American assets (Wether REAL or fabricated) their assets would be confiscated and we owe them nothing then.
You really should understand who can out lie the other in these games the oligarchs play.
They are incapable of successful air to air compared to US capabilities and pilots,they have yet to operate a funtional carrier fight group. We have basing ALL over,Pacaf is a large covered area. it also looks like Vietnam wants a base ,Clark is opening again ,the Marines in Austrailia,not to mention they can't project A SINGLE thing off land but a few submarines and ships.
Their troops lack experince and haven't won any major engagements outside their country.
edit on 10-6-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

…not to mention they can't project A SINGLE thing of land but a few submarines and ships.

It only takes one sub…
Chinese sub undetected by US Carrier group

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Training is no indication wartime capabilities. allowing a sub to show up is ALSO a tactic to minitor capability as well.
AGAIN if that happens WE OWN conventional war on earth. THERE aren't any single countries that can win if we are at full war footing.
they want to try nukes I KNOW we have worse ,we are capable of scortched earth warfare we just don't do it.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

THERE aren't any single countries that can win if we are at full war footing.

Air craft carrier groups are always at full alert for vessels (including subs). That Chinese Song Class sub surfaced well within torpedo range, a huge embarrassment for the US Navy, to say the least.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

According to my friend that's not the story...

They bought a Boeing 707 and made a duplicate, and it was fine, the problem was that by the time they got it done there were newer, more efficient planes that were cheaper than they could make, and they didn't have decent engines....follow that up with McDonnell Douglas opening a factory in Shanghai to make MD-80s and MD-90s. Some of Delta's current fleet came out of that factory (making Delta the only US airline to fly Chinese-built planes).

Please tell me my friend is wrong!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

According to the father of the 747, he's wrong.

The incident brought to mind a real example of Chinese reverse engineering, which followed president Nixon’s opening of the door to “Red China” back in 1972. One early goodwill gesture, Flight is told, was the sale to Beijing of three Boeing 727s. On a subsequent visit, Boeing legend Joe “father of the 747″ Sutter was shown a fourth aircraft, which certainly looked like a 727.

But, on inspecting the machine, Sutter found such incongruities as a control yoke that would have taken the strength of three gorillas to move and urged the Chinese not to attempt a flight. Thankfully they heeded his advice.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ungh. I'm not getting anywhere arguing with my friend about this. He's claiming it's hearsay and that it's the Shanghai Y-10 in question, which isn't a 727 copy and only flew in 1980...

*rubs forehead*

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Again NOT if they wanted to watch it isn't.
EVERYBODY knows they wouldn't be stupid enought to shoot, we haven't had much contact with their tactice or systems so maybe they were being observed.
It would be a stupid way to get us to destroy China.

BUT I'm no squid and I HAVE NO IDEA what they operate or think, they JUST aren't Cav about things...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yes, they waited 20+ years to copy a 707, when they had other Boeing aircraft prior to that they could use.

China already had a group of 707s. They even used JT3D engines from them when the WS-8 engines weren't available. The Y-10 was closer to the 720 than a 707, with a radically different interior. Even Boeing said it wasn't a copy.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

There have been rumors that a couple of incidents were allowed to happen because the leadership wanted more ASW money, and needed something to point to as reasoning for it.
edit on 6/10/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Again NOT if they wanted to watch it isn't.

The sub surfaced within range to make the point. Difference between wanting to watch and getting caught of guard are moot at that point.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

That whole incident was a combination of media hype and USN brass pining for more congressional funding through fear tactics. A ploy that is still alive and well today.
The USN and the Russians have been doing that exact thing by shadowing each other for decades and you think the USN didn't know the Chinese sub was there? Sure.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

you think the USN didn't know the Chinese sub was there? Sure.

It would have been forced to the surface if it had been detected. As is it surfaced on its own. Powned…

But hey, I'm game, you have to prove thats not what happened. The weight of evidence suggests the sub remained undetected, as does most of the new class of "silent diesels".

Take what happened in Norway, you think they would have spent all that money looking for a ghost sub that didn't exist? That they did search in vain and not detect it is proof puddin'.

Link to article

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

You think they don't take risks?
It's what is DONE.
OUR opinions not withstanding gambles are a defender's business.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

We don't engage other nations vehicles in such a way unless we are at war.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

We don't engage other nations vehicles in such a way unless we are at war.

We are, if you haven't noticed.

Maritime navies are vulnerable to anything at any time. Thats why the sub is such an effective weapon. Primarily as well how the US defeated the Japanese Navy in the Pacific during WWII.

The American sub fleet was called the "Silent Service" because they didn't talk about it too much. Too secret and too valuable an asset.

This lesson is not lost on modern navies. With the advent of newer technologies like improved props, baffles and electric diesel motors, for instance…

Aww hell, read the full article I linked.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join