It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says its Shendiao drone can stop American stealth aircraft from invading Chinese airspace

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: grey580

Are you implying they don't have the means to make stuff like this?.
You can bet they do.
Is it only the USA who can design the best aircraft?.

No absolutely not. They have some very good manufacturing facilities. And some advanced material design that can work with some very interesting materials. Like clear aluminum.

The question is are they as far along as they claim to be. And thanks to some espionage they are catching up. Along with more military spending. which btw they are outspending russia. So maybe in the future they match catch up or surpass us. But not right now.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

This is partially to blame. I think the root of the issue for the Chinese and many Asian cultures is the way they are educated from birth. They in general have a harder time thinking outside the box. Thinking outside the box is an absolute requirement to design, develop and implement a new radical design that no one thought of before.
In Western cultures, creativity is taught and encouraged as a skill almost, if not just as, important as left brain logic.I think that has given the US and other cultures that teach this way an edge in cutting edge tech and being able to push the boundaries.
Don't get me wrong though, logic and pure mathematical prowess are vital skills to have but an equilibrium between left and right brain interactions has to exist to really excel as Western cultures have been in this field.

To me the Shendiao looks like two Global Hawks grafted together. They have seen the RQ-4 and thought if one was good then two must be twice as good.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
loll ......the majorety of US inventions are stolen technics from others...from magnetrons to rocket-engines..
even the sidewinder tech. was stolen from an inventor in switserland.....
but... as long the US think's the stealts are invisible...the vunerable they are...
2 typ's of thechology..attack and defence some difference !
edit on 9-6-2015 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

Yeah. It's called espionage.

All countries do this.

But that doesn't mean americans haven't invent things.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Here's a quick list of American inventions up to 1945...

1801, Modern Suspension Bridge, James Finley

1853, Potato chips, George Crum

1856, Condensed Milk, Gail Borden

1879, Electric Light Bulb, Thomas Alva Edison

1885, Photographic Film, George Eastman

1887, Disc Record, Emile Berliner 1877, Phonograph, Thomas Alva Edison

1861, Machine Gun, Richard Gatling

1885, Skyscraper, William Le Baron Jenney

1897, Cotton Candy, William Morrison & John C. Wharton

1894, Mousetrap, William C. Hooker

1903, Airplane, Wilbur and Orville Wright

1905, Ice pop, Frank Epperson

1912 the electric traffic light by Lester Wire, a policeman from Salt Lake City.

1926, Liquid-Fuel Rocket, Robert H. Goddard

1929, Sun glasses, Sam Foster 1937, Edwin Land, Polarized sun glasses

1929, Frozen Food, Clarence Birdseye

1930, Chocolate chip cookie, Ruth Wakefield

1937, modern day digital computer was invented by George Stibitz while he was working at Bell Labs.

1938, Nylon, Wallace H. Carothers 1956, Pantyhose, Ernest G. Rice

1939, The fully automatic automobile transmission was invented by General Motors and introduced by Oldsmobile & Cadillac.

1945, Microwave Oven, Percy Spencer

1945, Nuclear Bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer

Source

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Yet China is racing as fast as they can to come up with military assets that they can propagate as being a good or better than home grown US ones.

Want to talk about stolen inventions? Lets talk about US documents stolen by the Chinese for exploitation or a litany of Chinese aircraft that look like they were almost directly copied from US designs that came before them.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Maybe you can point out where people that have a clue have claimed that stealth is invisible.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Maybe you can point out where people that have a clue have claimed that stealth is invisible.
I always had an idea how stealth was measured, but my idea wasn't confirmed until I saw this video saying it's the first time cameras have been allowed into this stealth testing facility, the Tahone Test Range:

See time index 36:30

Their conclusion is that aircraft has to be 20% closer to the radar to be detected than its predecessor. I imagine if any aircraft gets close enough it can be detected, but it's interesting to see how they test it at different angles and frequencies.

So bringing this back to the OP topic, the details matter. I'm sure the Chinese can build stealth detection, the question is, how well does it work? How close does the aircraft to be to be detected? That video gives some inkling of the many variables involved in answering such a question, with an antique aircraft, but the physics-based principles are essentially the same for modern aircraft.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The numbers being tossed around for modern stealth aircraft are both stunning and staggering. Obviously you can't stealth completely and from every angle, but their head on RCS numbers have been reduced to amazing levels.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A Eurofighter Typhoon pilot said he could see the F-22 at 50km with IRST head on. The radar cross section can be very hard to detect but improvements in IRST can detect the engine exhaust and a hot airframe as it heats up from air friction. The B-2 was also seen on IR which I saw in a doco a few years ago, don't know if they've fixed it up, but 4 huge jet engines will create a lot of heat which is hard to hide.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Typhoon probably has a pretty formidable IRST though, I don't know much about it except it looks like a huge detector right out front in the airflow unlike anything else I have seen.

But I think the 50km head on is a give away as a planned exercise it was probably testing irst engagements for typhoon so the reaper wasn't doing standard procedure as the typhoon might be defensive from 100km.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Typhoon probably has a pretty formidable IRST though, I don't know much about it except it looks like a huge detector right out front in the airflow unlike anything else I have seen.

But I think the 50km head on is a give away as a planned exercise it was probably testing irst engagements for typhoon so the reaper wasn't doing standard procedure as the typhoon might be defensive from 100km.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
the stealth has been declassified for what ?? 35 years ???

ITS ABOUT TIME

wait til they see what we got in the basement.

...........or dont see

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur I imagine if any aircraft gets close enough it can be detected, but it's interesting to see how they test it at different angles and frequencies.

"Stealth" is about getting close enough for a substantial tactical advantage. It doesn't make you invisible. One can optimize a platform for different frequencies (generally the frequencies able to give higher resolution returns and useful targeting data for reasons I hope are obvious). Similarly, you want to have RCS "spikes" in as few directions as possible. Hence, plan-form alignment. It's important to know where those spikes are so that one can avoid presenting those aspects to hostile radars. That's why they test at all angles.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Zaphod58

And that was with 727's. Modern "human" technology.

And people think we'd be able to reverse engineer alien technology from a species capable of interstellar space travel.

Depends on the nature and science behind the craft really, as an example if a ship like the Millennium Falcon crash landed here Im sure we could pick up a few tricks. But something not so nuts and bolts might give some issues. I have a hard time believing an advanced alien race capable of interstellar travel would crash in the first place. Something super top secret made by humans however....

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

maybe something from another dimension where the laws of physics do not work exactly the same.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

HA .lets see ONE F15 get knocked down air to air then we'll talk.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This isn't impressive. Its just more war games. Nobody seems to get the bigger picture. You want to be better than America. Then be Better than America. Show me something that boasts a future. How bout you land on the moon and plant your flag. Walk in those ambitious steps then go further. Nothing but copy cats and has beens. Everybody is better and yet nobody has taken it to the next level since the 60's. Its 2015!!! Remember all the old movies with dates around this time. Well it seems we didn't live up to the hype.

What do we have to look forward to? Some cool pictures from Pluto, a few rocks from Mars, maybe a little data. Its interesting and all but not as interesting as say colonizing the moon or mining other planets. Whats the point really? We walk around here all day comparing our sizes and flexing muscle. Working meaningless jobs for even more meaningless pieces of paper. I guess War will be our legacy, and through that we'll have to advance our technology.The One World Government is just around the corner. The next war will guarantee it

China has the opportunity to be so much greater, because of the Borg mentality, but they choose to build military islands and more advanced drones. Yah! a little brother America can be proud of. It seems we all cant stay here and play nice together. The next Country that takes that leap out in space will be top dog. Till then the best you can do is second.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: drwire

Interesting if that's the case, most of us just get to read the provided information and make the best guess we can. It would indeed make the long list of questions even longer.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

I understand it's science fiction but could be given an hypothetical case, does not mean it's a rule. Obviously, the general rule is that they are classified equipment.
edit on 9-6-2015 by drwire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join