It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says its Shendiao drone can stop American stealth aircraft from invading Chinese airspace

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
China says its Shendiao drone can stop American stealth aircraft from invading Chinese airspace

According to Kung Pao, I suddenly want chinese food for some odd reason, he's saying this drone is the bees knees.

It's interesting they went with a split body like that. It doesn't seem very stealthy.
And is this just propaganda? I don't even see the drone in that picture they have there.

China has previously held details of its new “Shendiao” high-altitude, long-range, anti-stealth drone as top secret, but Hong Kong’s Ta Kung Pao reveals more details in its latest report.

The report says that the Shendiao has a higher performance level and better operational capabilities than America’s RQ-4 Global Hawk.

According to Ta Kung Pao, the Shendiao is 25 metres long with a wingspan of 50 metres. It is dual-hull.

The greater wingspan enables it to fly at at a height of 25 km, much higher than Global Hawk’s 18 km. Its speed is Mach 0.8 faster than the Global Hawk.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Sure it can stop them, if it accidentally runs into them.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I think you guys should be very concerned with this claim. Preventing America from invading foreign airspace is kinda cheeky from the Chinese. I think they need to be stopped. I mean...whoever gave these people the right to do this !!!!

Flying stealth bombers wherever they please, even if it means violating airspace, is American God given right.

I mean...really...huff pufff...

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Are you implying they don't have the means to make stuff like this?.
You can bet they do.
Is it only the USA who can design the best aircraft?.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

The problem with Chinese aerospace design is that they rely on other designs. Their indigenous clean sheet designs have had issues getting to the flying stages. They're capable of designing things yes, but production is another issue.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Are you implying they don't have the means to make stuff like this?.
You can bet they do.
Is it only the USA who can design the best aircraft?.

How can they claim to be able to detect American stealth aircraft when no one outside of a very few Americans know what makes the aircraft stealthy?

I'm sure some type of Chinese airborne drone like AWACS can detect some aircraft within range, but remember some system will be able to out detect it's sensor range and the stealth aircraft can use another trick for not being detected, fly around it or another trick to jam it or another to decoy it or another to destroy it.

Many possibilities.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They're capable of designing things yes, but production is another issue.

Well if you mean militarily, they are one of the top producers of arms in the world. If you mean people… well, never mind.

If you mean stuff, they are leading the pack.

article

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

He's talking about how instances like the 4th 727 in China are indicative of the Chinese military development process.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: justwanttofly

He's talking about how instances like the 4th 727 in China are indicative of the Chinese military development process.

More like aerospace development. I was pointing out Chinas super power status. The didn't get that by making babies.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

LIDAR can detect any mass. Any mass that bounces back the laser light can be accurately ranged. Masses that absorb or deflect the light, can be accurately identified (although speed and range are not accurate).

America gave Canadian planes LIDAR, so we don't commit fratricide. The Russian SU-47 is a flying LIDAR platform, specifically designed to hunt & kill any conventional vehicles with mass. Stealthy or not.

The vehicles that can convert their mass, however..............

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

And look at their equipment. The vast majority of aircraft are license built Russian aircraft, or take things from other designs. They have some indigenous designed ships that are really good designs, but when it comes to aircraft they have problems.

A good example is the Comac regional aircraft they just built. It covers the same market as many aircraft already built, but ended up years behind with a lot of developmental problems. And even Chinese airlines are barely interested in it.

Then as mentioned was the fourth 727.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: shefskitchen

LIDAR is fairly short range though. So you still have to get near them.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It can't touch The Green Lady!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick

How can they claim to be able to detect American stealth aircraft when no one outside of a very few Americans know what makes the aircraft stealthy?

Despite the fact all sorts of nifty coatings exist, the main driver of radar cross-section is shape. What makes them stealthy is a complex application of very simple physics. There are many people inside and out side of America who know physics.

I don't think anyone is terribly concerned about low-frequency radar. You have to overcome all sorts of natural clutter (not to mention any sort of countermeasures), and the resolution is terrible. It tells you something is there within a several kilometer cube of air and that is all. You still have to use shorter wave lengths to get targeting information. And the various forms of "stealth" are generally highly effective at those wave lengths.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm also extremely skeptical of the 80k+ feet cruising altitude. We'll see.

Assuming it works as advertised, it would be a useful asset.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think part of the problem is that they are trying to leap frog into technology. They haven't put in the time required to really master the technology.

Sure, I can take other people's designs and copy them...but I'm not really learning the fundamentals on why whatever I copied works the way it does.

We have decades upon decades of trial and error that's taught us what works and why --the Chinese don't have that. They're so caught up in getting caught up that they're not really learning the lessons other leading air powers had to learn for themselves.

At least that's how it seems to me, correct me if that's not right...?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Many years ago, in an attempt to kick the door open, Boeing sold three 727s to China. During a visit a few years later, the Chinese proudly showed off a fourth 727 they had built themselves.

They had a grasp of the aerodynamics, and the big details, but when the Boeing rep tried to move the controls he said a gorilla would have been needed to fly it. They knew what went where but not why or how it all worked and it was nearly a disaster.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And that was with 727's. Modern "human" technology.

And people think we'd be able to reverse engineer alien technology from a species capable of interstellar space travel.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the explanation. I was going to inquire when I wasn't able to find anything in searching.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join