It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study reveals having Cat as pet in childhood can lead to Schizophrenia later in life

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Indeed! You're totally right.

Which is why cleanliness and responsibility are a must if one chooses to own a cat--or ANY pet.
--especially if you have immune system issues (ie. are very young, very old or have a condition)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
no offense but while you are entitled to your opinion, none of what you said negates any of what I said.

Yes. That's why I said that I agreed with the rest of your post. I was only in disagreement with the declawing (which is impossible to justify), and the outdoor aspect.

I think letting pet cats outdoors is cruel.

How is it cruel when that's what they WANT? They are originally from the wild and can survive perfectly fine out there. Obviously there is more risk to the animal's health, but same with humans. If you stay in your house all day you will never have to worry about disease, car accidents, many carcinogens and other potential life shortening factors. But then again, your life wouldn't be much fun if you never left the house, right? I find it much more cruel to force a cat to stay cooped up inside all day.

Take my advice or leave it. All's I do is put it out there. If you have a problem with that then either do your own research and prove me wrong or take your personal experience and bias elsewhere.

And I'll say the same exact thing about my advice. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, I was giving my opinion based on my experience as a lifelong cat owner.

You see, I feel compelled to point out that what you said only goes to reinforce what I'm saying. I think what you said is all well and good--but what you said does absolutely NOTHING to help circumvent the issue at hand which is attempting to prevent the transmission of toxoplasmosis gondii from a cat to children.

Actually it does. The parasite is transmitted through feces. If the cat is pooping and cleaning his/her paws outside, then the risk of spreading to your children is almost non existent. If they are pooping inside and your kids are cleaning the litter box every day or 2, I'm sorry but that's a significantly increased risk of transmission. There's no way around that.

The point here is while opinions are all well and good, all of what I said and suggested is based on logic. If you don't understand what I mean by that then go figure it out yourself--but don't try to tell me that I'm in any way incorrect if you don't even address the issue (& if you lack knowledge on the subject and the science of it--).

Look, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I disagreed with a couple of the factors you pointed out and gave my opinion. How can you possibly insinuate that declawing cats is based on logic? How about we remove your finger nails for life and see how you like that? Hey, you'll never spread disease or illness from the dirt under your finger nails, so lets just get rid of them so we can logically eliminate that factor and keep you healthier. Maybe you can see my point now?
edit on 12-6-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I watched an interesting video on Toxoplasma Gondii the other day.

One: It currently infects roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the human population.

Two: It can lead to slower response times, and an inhibited "danger" response.

Three: Because of this, it can cause people to make decisions they normally wouldn't. Studies have shown that people infected with Toxoplasma Gondii are far more likely to be in automobile accidents.

Very interesting stuff. We hear horror stories about parasites that infect animals and alter their personalities, when almost half of us have one in our brains already.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
all the diseases humans pass onto the children..

all the diseases children get because they have no immunity..

we act like this world belongs to us.. nvm

edit on 13-6-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Specifacally to the schizophrenia subject..

I know over 500 people very closely

I know their parents, singlings, acquaintances, children

non of them have schizophrenia..

The only person I know that has diagnosed schizophrenia is a girl younger than me.. 26years old..
who's dad was malasting and beating her up as a baby and child.. now she is on electroshock therapy because her meds are not working

Sadly she is not the only one.. The other girl 34 and 2 guys 65 and 28 are now cat lovers converted from doggy lovers ..
]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join