It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic proteins will soon be largely available for human consumption.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
i would rather eat synthetic proteins than proteins from suffering animals.
however i'm a bit skeptic when it comes to products out of the lab.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Well we are going to have to feed our future populations somehow considering there near exponential growth rate. I suppose it's either this or Soylent Green.
edit on 9-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghaleon12
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No protein is not "very energy dense". Ranks 3rd and has the same calories as carbs. Are lipids, "very very" energy dense?

*sigh*

Perhaps I was using the wrong nomenclature. What I meant is that meat proteins are expensive. You have to feed an animal and raise it. These animals take up space. These animals require constant care. These animals need to be slaughtered, processed, packed and shipped.

Compared to some soybeans or whatever, meat protein is pretty expensive to produce. The amount of energy required to produce a pound of animal meat is greater than a pound of soybeans.

So perhaps biologically inside your body protein isn't the most energy dense -- but when it comes to its production it does, however, utilize a lot of energy to produce.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

This will become a failure as people the same way that are against GMOs will be against anything created in a lab.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
My burgers need to have mooed before I will eat them.

I'm not going to eat pork that never oinked or grunted.

Now some of you may think a protein is a protein, but meat is far more than vitamins, minerals, and proteins and fats. It is a complex chemistry that we have evolved with. There are unknown consequences from consuming things that the body does not recognize. Digestive Enzymes for breaking down meat are often different than enzymes for breaking down plants. If the body or our consciousness senses the wrong combination it could cause metabolic issues. Just thinking it is a hamburger because it looks and tastes similar is enough to trigger improper chemistry.

But if any of you want to eat this stuff, it is your right. It is your life, your hardship if something goes amuck. I'm just warning you guys to think about this a bit. Occasionally consuming something is not going to kill you, but if you jump right in and start eating it often, within a year or so you might wind up with problems. As it is we are changing our food chemistry way too fast, altering even the veggies by creating new varieties structured to combat bugs and microbes.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
If they can make gains in the gym better bring em' on!

Funny, that was my first thought as well

This could be revolutionary tech. Very intrigued as to how it develops.
edit on 9-6-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

would you eat it if the synthetic meat is 100% the same as the natural one? or does it have to be from a cadaver only?

also i just want to add the meat you buy in stores isn't that healthy too. antibiotics, gmo,...

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'd try eating a "growie" burger. . .

It can't taste any worse than some of those soy patties!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If they can get the taste and texture right. I would try it once it has been proven to be safe for human consumption. Once all the kinks are ironed out. I can see things like this being beneficial for much of mankind.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

The thing is, it might take 50 years for us to really know if it's safe for human consumption. There are all kinds of things we're just now finding out probably aren't great for us that we've been consuming for a while...

Geeze, I mean look at the gluten-free craze. Humans have been growing wheat and eating bread for thousands of years. You'd think that after all that time the people with gluten allergies would have died off and not passed on their genes.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Geeze, I mean look at the gluten-free craze. Humans have been growing wheat and eating bread for thousands of years. You'd think that after all that time the people with gluten allergies would have died off and not passed on their genes.

Interesting that you mention that.. they say "our grain is not the same as our grandfathers..." With all of the 'enhancements' that have been made to crops it would not surprise me if there is a connection to increased diseases and gmos. just one article on the subject

I really do better with meat protein in my diet. I would love there to be a humane alternative but yeah- I am also wary of lab grown meat.
edit on 9-6-2015 by Starcrossd because: added link

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
As for it being anti-biotic free, I doubt it, lab cultures often contain anti-biotics in them. I cant see it being possible to grow on a commercial scale without the addition of anti-biotics, too hard to keep it pure. Think about all the ingredients you have to add to the culture, will you heat sterilize these? And if you pasteurize the finished product then it will cook the protein already. This is going to be pretty nasty stuff, and I agree with Shiloh 7 that it will be used in fast food type of applications, where they add flavours and salt so it wont be recognizable. Think more like devon, luncheon, chicken loaf or whatever you call pink/white goo in your part of the world, they have to add ammonium nitrate for goodness sake! That stuff is horrendous. What about that stuff they get off the chicken bones by putting in a press and getting every last bit of meat off it? That is what they want to feed the masses, not something tasty that you would choose to eat. But still... how do I invest in this? I am convinced it will be a financial winner.
edit on 10/6/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join