It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin on the environment...:)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
An interesting take.

www.youtube.com...=400

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

"Environmentalism" was different in his day. I know, I was there. Today, he'd be all over the corporations and their spills, rape of resources and military destruction, all fostered by mega corporations. In his day the issue was "seals", owls, and tree hugging. I get why he developed this spiel, but its outdated.

From the comments section:

The genius of this bit is the way it SEEMS to be a critique of environmentalism, as if Carlin is arguing in favor of doing whatever we please with the world. But, in reality, it's slyly satirical, and he's just saying, "Humanity can't save OR destroy the planet, because humanity is utterly arbitrary and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. All man can do is either save or destroy man itself. The planet will go right on spinning either way."

ETA: The Galaxy and Universe will go on spinning, too. Question is, during your tenure here, were you part of the problem or the solution?

edit on 8-6-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The attitude isn't any different at all. Not one bit.

Much is better, environmentally than in Carlin's day.

He positions mankind and it's relationship with the planet perfectly, IMO.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
congratulations for discovering carlin lol.... but.... in our time...I think since "thinkers" arent taken seriously like Nietzsche they've taken other forms.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Much is better, environmentally than in Carlin's day.

You say that with the Gulf oil spill, Fukushima, Fracking and endless war under our belt?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Absolutely! Without reservation.

Right off the top, you jump 'corporations'. (Which only feeds the crowd that sees the environmental "INDUSTY" as a closet anti-capitalism agenda driven bunch.)

I see virtuously all corporations pushing 'green' be it for P.R. purposes right down to production and waste considerations.

As far as the accidents you cited, they were/are ACCIDENTS. These are inevitable. One corrects them, one doesn't generalize and lump it all under some nefarious indifference/greed. Obviously, there's huge financial consquences to these accidents-rightly so- and attitudes/policy is changing as we speak.

As far as fracking goes, there are a few areas where there's an overlap between water sources and fracking. A very few. In those locations and any similar areas it should be addressed/restricted or delayed until the technology improves.

Overall, fracking and shale development has saved the world economy-at the expense of big oil and big oil producing nations. China, the EU, India to name a few have benefitted hugely from the oil boom. In the long term, that means more money and 'wiggle room' to address areas where oil development is questionable.

In a 'dire' economic environment, environmental considerations would take a back seat, to say the least.

I'm 64 years old and these eyes have seen a VAST improvement. Zero doubt. Balance is the key, as in all things, and the attitude that Carlin points out is far more empowered now than in 'his day'.

So spare me the 'are you part of the problem or solution' talking point.

I hold the current EPA in contempt. Yet, the need for an EPA that is well defined and controlled is a necessary mechanism.

In the frame work of Carlin's references, he is spot on.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm closet nothing. My agenda is quite clear. The bigger the industry the bigger the spills and accidents.

But lets drop the unintentional disaster for a moment…

Hill top removal coal mining, increased mining for lesser grade ores, de forestation and Nuclear Power are all intentional. So is war, the most environmentally destructive intentional "capitalist enterprise" going.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Right off the top, you jump 'corporations'. (Which only feeds the crowd that sees the environmental "INDUSTY" as a closet anti-capitalism agenda driven bunch.)

Surely you aren't saying that corporations are blameless in helping to wreck the environment.

I see virtuously all corporations pushing 'green' be it for P.R. purposes right down to production and waste considerations.

Yes because the localities they are in have passed laws forcing them to do it.

As far as the accidents you cited, they were/are ACCIDENTS. These are inevitable. One corrects them, one doesn't generalize and lump it all under some nefarious indifference/greed. Obviously, there's huge financial consquences to these accidents-rightly so- and attitudes/policy is changing as we speak.

Do some research. Many accidents like deepwater horizon happen simply because of greed. Instead of using quality materials they used the cheapest they could find just so they could save money.

As far as fracking goes, there are a few areas where there's an overlap between water sources and fracking. A very few. In those locations and any similar areas it should be addressed/restricted or delayed until the technology improves.

Or just stop it and do the smart thing like find an alternative energy source.

Overall, fracking and shale development has saved the world economy-at the expense of big oil and big oil producing nations.

If this is true then why is the worlds economy going to hell in a hand basket. Also it is big oil that is doing the fracking so how is it done at their expense.

In a 'dire' economic environment, environmental considerations would take a back seat, to say the least.

Absolutely wrong. We can live without corporations making profit but we cannot live without the environment. The profit before everything will lead to the death of us all.

I'm 64 years old and these eyes have seen a VAST improvement. Zero doubt.

Only because you seem to have a let the corporations do what they want mentality.

I hold the current EPA in contempt.

I do as well. Bigger fines and jail time needs to be handed out to companies that wreck the environment. The sooner oil companies are run out of business the better. We can easily replace them with other ways of producing energy not to mention everything that is made out of crude oil can be made out of hemp oil and hemp oil isn't toxic to the environment.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Guffaw. I'm thinking you knew Carlin. He was talking about you.

Corporate greed by BP. Let's see that mess has cost them north of 20 Billion. They're going save a few bucks on parts and pay out billions. Kind of contradicts greed.
Care to bet on whether that one happens again??

The environment is going to hell in a hand basket...yeah right. Looks better and better from where I'm parked.

Lot's going on corporately that isn't 'law'. (Although some laws are needed.)

Not to mention the 'corporate world' that is the environmental industry...nothing like 'it's all terrible' make more laws so we can make more money.. none of that going on. cough, cough.

I covered the fracking point, you ignored it. (Not surprising).

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Nope, I'm not buying into your spin. War has been around much longer than capitalism. or any "ism', for that matter.

As Carlin said, it's humans that need to be 'saved' , not the planet...it takes care of itself.....

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Not selling "spin" like you. Yes the earth will continue to spin. The distinction is between the biosphere and a big rock.

The biosphere which -people live in is the only one we got.

If air traffic, autos, industry and power plants continue to add CO2 to the atmosphere, if big Agro keeps dumping chemical fertilizer and pesticide into the water shed, clogging it with algae and toxins, if jet liners keep blocking the sun, somethings going to give. Not right away and all at once… but slowly, oh so slowly.

Now I've listed the major polluters, you do the research a little more and see if you remain in denial.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Carlin pointed out that 90% of all species have gone extinct. He never says why. Maybe we are working toward our own extinction through all of our malities.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Denial or actual research? Plenty of evidence that the CO2 levels are LOW. Below optimal plant requirements.

Big agro? Gee, how about the oxygen big agro puts back into the biosphere...nary a word about that.

That's OK, you keep pitching your fear mongering...the 'evil corporations'... the end is near...yawn.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The Earth will be here long after people are gone! Carlin is right about the arrogance of man, especially the political/academic community.

However, I need a few questions answered for this old bastard. Why did Al Gore try to set-up the Chicago Carbon Exchange scam. Why did the government invest $800 billion to alternative power companies with no new technologies emerging? Why has the EPA/BLM restricting fossil fuel exploration? Why was the only companies to benefit the $800 billion investment was donors of the present president? Why has climate change politics been the purview of only one political party and the academic left? I come from Kentucky but, please, don't pi** on my head and tell me it's raining.

The climate has been changing since the time of the dinosaurs when man was a furry little rodent. I would venture to say that the "Green Movement" is just as what they say! Green on the outside and RED on the inside. They hate capitalism, wall street and anything American. They complain about virtue and religion. They bitch about just about anything that makes this country great.

new topics

top topics

join