It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Homemade 40W LASER SHOTGUN!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
OMG...
WTF...
FRIGGIN SWEET!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's not what I would call a shotgun. More a rifle really. It would be even more impressive if it pulsed but probably not as effective.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

YES YES YES!! I SAY YES!!!!!!! How Totally Awesome is this?!!! Very I'd say!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

May be legal to build one...but are we sure its legal to USE one, and OWN one? (Theft possibility and use for nefarious reasons)..if it gets into the wrong hands??????????

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

RCA optoelectronics used to make a 1080 Watt stacked heterojunction semiconductor lasers in the 850nm range. They were nasty, they had a 400v forward voltage at 25 amps. Not for the faint of heart or battery power supplies.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/8.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I love this.... so you built this in your garage... I give you credit but... what you think darpa or any private crap has on their garage with 100 billion budget, for the last 10 years?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
A buddy of mine has a 4 watt laser. You can light a cigarette at 10 ft with it.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Depends on what you're using it for.

The diode on this thing probably can handle sustained firing beyond 30-45 seconds.

It also produces an enormous amount of heat, hence the huge heat sink.

I intend to build one with a cooling system. I haven't decided if I want to use a chemical coolant or a really beefy heat sink/fan combo like what is found in desktop computers.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

If was the fellow in question i would expect a knock at the door from some alphabet agency or Police. Im sure they can come up with one law or another that prevents or prohibits the building of such a device. That being said looks cools as hell, could have endless fun with the thing!

edit on 9-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but this is NOT a 40W laser. This is 8 5W laser diodes together. A real 40W laser would be absolutely insane

Sorry

XL5

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Some how, the amount of fire on the objects and the speed they lite up at does not seem like 40Watts. The beam looks nice and all, but if you want a REAL laser gun, you need a large laser array and a Nd:yag rod. To make one you focus 500+ watts of 808nm IR beam from an array into the side of a Nd:yag rod and a SINGLE beam comes out the end of the rod.

Also, 40 watts is not that powerful if you wanted to burn a hole through some one. Yeah you could set hair on fire and instantly blind, maybe a bit of a first degree burn but that is it (they would move to get away from the pain). You can wave a blowtorch across your hand and not much happens and that is well over 40 watts. Worst case, third degree burns, no holes though.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

That's awesome!!!!!! I am definitely going to learn how to make one with a few tweaks for sure. I hold a type 07 FFL, starting my own AK pistol and rifle line soon...... I got to call the ATF in Leesburg and see what they say on the laser weapons because I would definitely get in on on making customs of these types of weapons for peeps out there. After I learn more on it and the legalities maybe I'll make a thread under weaponry, firearms forum, can't remember what it is actually called at the moment......

Great Thread Op!!!!!!

edit on 9-6-2015 by BlessedLore because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
in the mid 80's Chris Knight developed a laser that kicked off one megajoule per liter which, apparently, is hotter than the sun.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Here you go a few of his other videos... this guy loves lasers.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am going to build a 666 watt black laser and open a portal to hades.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
That man is going to be rich after the DoD finds this video.

They already have much larger and more powerful lasers. Imagine what the black projects have? It's still cool that this kid created this at home though, and he may very well have a future in that kind of work. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
and I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere...

As cool as that is, its probably illegal to build one here--laser pointers are even restricted imports here. You can import laser diodes, just nothing already assembled... stoopid gruberment

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Pretty neat
I guess with enough money you can build anything.

That would really hurt the eyes

I see it more as blinding weapon

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
That man is going to be rich after the DoD finds this video.

Or dead

XL5

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... now this is a real toy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join