It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record deal for Falcons star Vick (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It seems that Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick is to become the highest-paid player in NFL history next to Payton Manning agreeing to a 10-year deal worth $100m.

news.bbc.co.uk
The contract, which guarantees Vick a record $37m in bonuses, will surpass the $98m deal Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning signed in March.

Vick, chosen for this year's Pro Bowl, has just led the Falcons to only the third division title in their history.

The 24-year-old is expected to sign the deal on Thursday.

The Falcons needed to secure a new deal because the six-year contract =worth $62m that Vick signed in 2001 would have allowed him to avoid the next two seasons in January and become a free agent in March.

"Making a commitment says a lot, not just to me, but to our team," said Vick.

Michael has established himself as one of the best players at his position

General manager Rich McKay

"I'm very excited about this new deal. I can honestly say Atlanta will be my home for the next 10 years. I'm excited about the opportunity to bring a Super Bowl to Atlanta."

Vick, the first overall pick in the 2001 draft, needs 80 yards to break the single-season record for rushing by a quarterback, set by Chicago's Bobby Douglass in 1972.

In the team's week-eight victory at Denver, Vick became the first player in league history to rush for 100 yards and pass for 250 in a single game.

"Michael is arguably the NFL's most exciting football player," said Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

"He's a tremendous competitor, a winner and an outstanding young man who is well deserving of this extension.

"At a relatively early stage in his career, Michael has established himself as one of the best players at his position and that's very hard to do," Falcons general manager Rich McKay said.

"When you have an exceptional guy who plays the pivot position, known in football as the quarterback, you're going to have a chance to be very successful year in and year out."

Vick is expected to sit out this Sunday's game against New Orleans to rest an ailing shoulder, as the Falcons have already secured the second seed in the NFC play-offs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Democracy at work in America. If we could provide this type of compenstantion for our men and women in uniform. Maybe giving your life for this country would not be such a bad incentive!

join