It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, Proof Positive The Judicial System Has Failed...For The Millionth Time.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm seriously at a loss here guys...this has completely blown my mind. I've no idea how a coke dealer can be free to go when weed shouldn't even be illegal (when alcohol is). Weed offenses are by far a majority of offenses despite the fact it's slowly becoming legalized. Only thing I can think of is a rat...ATS?

Link

First thing is first, there is no question that the so-called “War on Drugs” has been an abject failure. There’s also no justification for locking someone in a cage for making choices we don’t agree with, as long as they do not directly infringe upon the rights of others.

But why would a judge who locks people up for plants at a near-daily rate, suddenly decide that prison is too severe of a sentence for a convicted coc aine dealer?

That’s what happened when Simon Beveridge managed to keep his freedom.

A judge let the convicted coc aine dealer avoid any time behind bars, because locking him up would expose him to “streetwise” criminals.

Beveridge gave what some called a “breathtakingly frank” testimony. According to the Gazette, the judge openly wondered whether it was “in the public interest” to put him in prison.

The judge described the privileged defendant as “naive” and said he would only attract attention fromcriminals who were “vastly convicted and streetwise to the nth degree.”

Too bad other’s haven’t been as lucky.

“I ask myself, do the people of Teesside benefit by exposing him to that?” Recorder David Myerson QC, said in the British court. “I have answered that question firmly in the negative.”

They judge called the defendant directly, saying “I want him to come and talk to me. I want to hear it from him.”

The judge understandingly asked, “Why did you agree to supply coc aine?”

Beveridge said, “I had no choice. I got in a bit of debt. They were asking for the money back.

“I never had it. I missed a few payments. They give me a phone and white powder and said ‘that’ll clear your debt off’.”

When police came to the defendant’s Thornaby house, Prosecutor Emma Atkinson said he was on edge and physically shaking. He admitted possession of the coc aine with intent to supply as well as possessing marijuana.

Andrew White, his defense attorney said: “He’s extremely remorseful and through me he expresses his apologies and regret for this.

“He’s a long-term user of cannabis. He’s got himself well out of his depth here.

“He’s clearly never been to custody before. He’s a vulnerable young man. I can tell you he’s absolutely terrified at the thought of going to custody.”

“In the normal course there is no doubt that people who sell Class A drugs go to prison,” Recorder Myerson added, saying “Drugs are a scourge. They are corrupting, they are addictive and people whoprey on the weaknesses of others should expect immediate custodial sentences.”

The judge added: “Of course his debt problems are entirely his own fault, nonetheless it seems to me there was a degree of pressure there. I’m satisfied he told me the truth. That was, in my judgment, breathtakingly frank.”

edit on 7-6-2015 by Jenisiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Jenisiz

Makes you wonder, in who's interest it is to make drug taking an illegal offence, when all is said and done, your a free person doing it to your own body. The consequences of making it illegal, are suppress, supply =, heightened demand.= increased price.=more profit. So the fact is the police are limiting the supply, and pushing up the price. Sounds like they are working for the criminals.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Wonder how much the judge got paid!
second line

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Wonder how much the judge got paid!
second line

Exactly right haha

Anonentiy, you took the thoughts straight out of my head. Something definitely feels off here. Weed was made illegal when hemp began to interfere with cotton. Just continued with a bad rep ever since despite it's known benefits and safeties when compared to alcohol. Agendas...psssh. Now that it's becoming feasible to sell it and tax it up they're taking interests. All about that other green.
edit on 7-6-2015 by Jenisiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Your title is stupid but somehow adequate for ATS.... but we have the best judicial system in the world... Move to Mexico or the middle east if you doubt me.

No you will not.

Cast stones anonymously.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Well I was thinking, that the prohibition about drugs, is nothing about saving people from themselves, because people will always do what they want to do anyway. So as far as consumption goes it makes not a jot of difference. As far as crime goes for addicts to support their addictions, this is all to do with price. Its the police that keep the price high, because if it was legal the cost would collapse, and certain parts of the economy would be in duress, the industrial prison complex for one. The police for another. So its self fulfilling BS. The laws of being intoxicated in a public place would still apply. For some prohibitionist to say society will collapse, is a falsehood, as it has not collapsed at this present time. Prescribed drugs kill more people than, illegal ones anyway. Who do the Police arrest, mostly bottom feeders or easy arrests . The ones making the big money, are still living with all the other politicians, and lobbyists.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Reply to: anonentity

I agree. With one of the most mind altering substances responsible for multiple deaths everyday is alcohol. If they were to legalize just even weed, the amount of money we spend in the prison system would be reduced dramatically. We spend around 40,000 a year per inmate and the majority of those inmates are in prison specifically for narcotics, the number one being Weed.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

edit on 8-6-2015 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Legman

When a justice system can't hand out equal sentences then, imho, it has failed. Justice is only Justice when all men are treated equal and punished equally as well. Sorry if you found my title moronic...maybe next time you can try reading the article before posting as you'd find the title fits what the article describes pretty well.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone
Somewhere in Britain

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
Thanks,
I seen that on the second read thru, new meds are having some effects on my vision.
edit on 8-6-2015 by thesaneone because: And typing

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

And it's sad you got a star for your post...shows the click thing here in action. Why would I move to Mexico? I'm American and this happened in Britain lol.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

You worry too much about stars and too little about different viewpoints... think about it bra.

sort of how isis works.

but you will never see this.

cheers

edit on 8-6-2015 by Legman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I mentioned the star because that means there's more than one of you that posted without reading anything but the title and expect to be taken as anything other than ignorant has to be a joke right? I hope so. Your opinions lost all merit when you do that...or do you not know geography? Because if you don't let me apologize now...I assumed you knew where Britain was.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It does seem like people don't get harsh sentences for rich people drugs.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It does seem like people don't get harsh sentences for rich people drugs.

Seriously though right...

Back in the day when I used to work for the system I'd have to counsel addicts and dealers. It's ironic because I'd hear stories just the same or paying for their kids medical treatments ect and they never got off like this. They served years and then were stuck in sessions with my annoying asz for months hahaha. This guy was a dealer. If he really owed money to some dangerous folks I doubt he'd be smiling just walking around...he'd be hustling or running to pay back what he owes less he wind up.sleeping with some fish...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Here's a story from my hometown that illustrates just how messed up the justice system is:

The 17-year-old girl who was arrested in connection with the hit-and-run death of an Anchorage biker last year, pleaded guilty in court Monday.

Alexandra Ellis agreed to plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide and driving under the influence, taking responsibility for the death of 51-year-old Jeff Dusenbury in July 2014.

Ellis was originally charged with manslaughter, leaving the scene of an accident and driving under the influence.

A sentencing hearing for Ellis will take place on August 14. Based on the plea deal, Ellis could face a sentence of three years in jail with two suspended.

KTUU.com

Basically, she was originally charged with manslaughter, but had it dropped to negligent homicide -- and then had 2 of the three years reduced. Meanwhile, we had a 33 year old military guy here kill 2 girls in a DUI-related crash a year prior, and he got 40 years.

The fact is, this 17 year old girl's father is an attorney, and her own attorney used to be a state prosecutor. The more you pay, the less you have to "pay".

Justice may be "blind" but it can smell money.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Nasinex always on hand to keep those nostrils clear haha. Thanks for that btw can't believe that # flew. A vet gets nailed while the other has money and favors to weigh in on the so called scales of justice. Government as we know it is becoming controlled by those with the most to make. Corporations bid in bills to present ect. I try to make a difference but it's against overwhelming odds as too many folks are hooked on FAUX news.

edit on 8-6-2015 by Jenisiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Wow, Proof Positive The Judicial System Has Failed...For The Millionth Time.

So you're saying that there's at least 999,999 other times this has happened.

When's the proverbial "S" supposed to start to "HTF"?
edit on 8-6-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone
I can relate, having surgery on both of mine in the last 3 or so years.

This story is odd for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join