Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Seeker, and the rest of you you who feel that the Iraq war is just and proper, I am curious. How would you respond to Anthony Gregory's statement
(paraphrased): "For every reason there was to attack Iraq, there was a better reason to attack NK or Iran."
I agree, North Korea is a bigger threat than Iraq, a much bigger threat. But the powers that be decided on Iraq and I'm afraid that we are stuck with
that decision. A War on Terror is going to be difficult if not impossible to Win. Why? Well there are numerous reasons, lets have a look at a few.
1) There is no defined command and control system, Terrorists and insurgents work in cells. Completely independent and in most cases unaware of each
other. This means that if you take out one the others can still work with little impact on their effectiveness. This makes the age old cut the head
of the serpent tactic ineffective.
2) For every Cell destroyed there will always be another and another.
3) To the Terrorists this is a Holy War, a Jihad. There is nothing more powerful and more motivating than Religious conviction. Look to History for
confirmation of that.
4) Combat in Urban areas or FIBUA (fighting in built up areas ) is the most desperate and vicious form of combat. The Terrorists are fighting on their
own doorstep, there they have the advantage. Also communication and co-ordination in very difficult in a built up area. By fighting this war in the
Cities the insurgent takes away much of the allies advantages, Tanks, close air support, carpet bombing a city (Politically and morally ) is out of
the question for instance.
It is down to the Man and Woman on the ground to take and hold areas there by denying the insurgent one of his main advantages. The War then becomes
Dependant upon the Non-Coms and the Soldiers under them. This in effect puts the GI/Tommy on the ground in more danger thereby increasing casualties
and this has a direct impact on public opinion at home.
5) The terrorist/insurgent has the support of the people ( through intimidation or through a genuine support for the terrorists cause ) there by
making a job even more difficult than it already would be. They will hide them, feed them, supply them with all the means to wage a covert and bloody
insurgency. That is the main thing, the
most important thing the insurgent has going for him because without that fundamental resource, without
the support of the people every insurgency must fail.
Look to the American War of Independence for parallels. Without the support of the people America would have lost the War.
So why do i support the War on Terror? The fight is there, it doesn't matter if we like it or not. Battle has been joined with a determined and
ruthless enemy and anyone expecting a speedy resolution better re-adjust their view because this is going to be very long and very bloody and many
will die before we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Its too late now to pull out, too late to find an alternative we have no choice now but to
see it through to its bloody conclusion. They will not compromise and neither will our governments.
[edit on 24-12-2004 by Janus]