It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Lightsail" Unfurls, to be visible pre-dawn in northern latitudes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Bound to be one of the weirdest space object sights in a ling while. For a few days.

Now go LOOK for it in your skies!!
www.heavens-above.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg
Thanks Jim. Im gonna have to check it out, this should be be pretty cool to see.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Fantastic - and not a failure as some had predicted!

For more info go here

edit on 7-6-2015 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Real time tracking of lightsail-a can be found here,
Along with information on how to spot it (declination and right ascension).

www.n2yo.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Damn! Doesn't look like it's going to be visible from where I'm at. At least not in the immediate future. I wonder how many new UFO threads this is going to cause lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Damn! Doesn't look like it's going to be visible from where I'm at. At least not in the immediate future. I wonder how many new UFO threads this is going to cause lol.

With each pass it gets closer to north america, should be able to see it within a couple days/nights. Best to view near dusk/dawn though. Hard to miss a giant reflective sail in space with the sun bouncing off it

Unless they lose control of it and the sail takes it away haha

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
how big are we talking about?, and will it ever go over the uk?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm kind of glad it won't be visible in my area. I'd feel bad for missing something like that just because didn't wake up early to see it. I'm not getting up at "pre-dawn" for anything. I'd feel bad about it, though.

Maybe they could schedule a fly-over on a Saturday night about 2:00 am?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Looking forward to spotting it, althought heavens-above.com says "very rough predictions only, due to high orbit uncertainty" and doesn't give any magnitude predictions yet (at least, for my location).

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

pretty sweet

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

how big are we talking about?, and will it ever go over the uk?

The orbital inclination is 55 degrees, so passes over the UK are certainly possible. However, I don't seem to be getting any results on the Heavens Above website.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
No particularly good passes for Florida over the next 10 days, grumble grumble. Guess I won't be tracking this one

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

...Hard to miss a giant reflective sail in space with the sun bouncing off it...

According to "heavens above" for my location, the brightest it will be is about magnitude 3.0, with most other passes being dimmer -- magnitude 3.7 to 5.0. To put that into perspective, the star Polaris (which is noticeable, but not particularly bright) is magnitude 3.6.

That might be a bit difficult to notice just by gazing up at the sky, unless you were looking at it. It's not going to catch your attention as easily as the ISS does.

EDIT TO ADD:
I realize now that the sail is not yet deployed. Therefore, maybe the magnitudes listed are for the craft in its current form -- without the sail. If so, then I assume it will be brighter with the sail, even though that sail is relatively small.

edit on 6/8/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Was outside last night at 3:45 am. It was really cloudy, but it was also really light out.
Not sure what pre dawn is in the summer. Maybe I'll try for 2:00 am tonight to see if it's dark enough, or clear enough....

Summertime in the north .....

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

My understanding was that the sail had now been deployed? Also keep in mind that with the sail deployed it is experiencing about 100x the normal amount of atmospheric drag, so satellite position predictions will start to deviate from the observed position past the epoch of the elements at a very high rate.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is so great to see, this has been an idea for so long. Love to see advancement where we need it!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is PeopleTo put that into perspective, the star Polaris (which is noticeable, but not particularly bright) is magnitude 3.6.

1.98, actually.

Tried to see it twice this morning, but had to settle for a parking lot with sodium vapor lights. Couldn't resolve much better than magnitude 3 reliably. Did not see the probe (the second try was overcast).

EDIT TO ADD:
I realize now that the sail is not yet deployed.

That would explain it, thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is PeopleTo put that into perspective, the star Polaris (which is noticeable, but not particularly bright) is magnitude 3.6.

originally posted by: Saint Exupery
1.98, actually.

Tried to see it twice this morning, but had to settle for a parking lot with sodium vapor lights. Couldn't resolve much better than magnitude 3 reliably. Did not see the probe (the second try was overcast).

EDIT TO ADD:
I realize now that the sail is not yet deployed.

That would explain it, thanks.

Thanks for the correction. I must have looked at Polaris' absolute magnitude rather than its apparent magnitude.

So its quite a bit dimmer than Polaris.

As for the sails deploying, ngchunter thinks it may have been deployed the sail. However, I still wonder if the magnitude listed on heavens-above is for the craft with the sails deployed or not. I know the sail is not huge (I think about 16 feet x 16 feet), but I would have guessed it would be brighter than that.

edit on 6/8/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Credible sighting report in Ukraine --
www.satobs.org...

new topics

top topics

join