It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Turkish election: Preliminary results suggest ruling party may lose majority

page: 1

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:55 PM
Turkish election: preliminary results suggest ruling party may lose majority

Preliminary vote counting in Turkey’s parliamentary election has suggested that voters have rejected the ruling party’s bid to remake the constitution.

With about 80% of the vote counted, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development party, the AKP, was well ahead of other parties with just under 43%, according to state-run TRT television. But the projections gave it about 270 seats — the bare minimum to retain a simple majority in parliament.

Partial results broadcast by CNN Turk put the AKP on 42.4% of the vote, with almost 80% of ballots counted.

A senior AKP official told Reuters that initial results suggested the party may be forced to form a minority government and that an early election could be on the cards.

“We expect a minority government and early election,” the senior official said on condition of anonymity.

In a blow to the ruling party’s chances, the main Kurdish party - the Peoples’ Democratic party (HDP) - was running at over 11%, above the 10% minimum threshold for representation.

AKP received around 49% of the vote in general elections in 2011. If the current trend holds, it would be first time that the party is faced with falling short of a majority to rule alone since it swept into power in 2002.

Erdoğan was not on the ballot but the election was, in effect, a referendum on whether to give his office extraordinary powers that would significantly change Turkish democracy and prolong his reign as the country’s most powerful politician.

Click link for remainder of article...

I was not expecting this at all.. I guess we will need to wait and see what the final tally is however if accurate it will be a blow to Erdoğan’s and his agenda. He is aiming to change the government type over to a system granting a lot of executive authority to the President.

He needed a 60% majority in order to make the changes without requiring a national referendum on his proposed changes.

That goal looks like it might be dead on arrival with the suggested poll results.
edit on 7-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 03:43 PM
a reply to: Xcathdra

This Erdogan fellow is a staunch dictator, inscrupulously worse than Putin, and as an additional bonus, he is a muslim, giving also a free pass for ISIS.

So, I really hope this latest bid of his, will not pass through, and Turkey continues still to dance on the edge, but not falling into hands of religious zealots.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:22 PM
a reply to: deckdel

Thus far his party only pulled in about 40 something percent. Well outside the percentage needed for him to push the changes he wants without needing a referendum on his changes.

As for his presidency style I would agree. I am glad the people of turkey got out the vote and the outcome is a reminder that when people do vote changes can come from it.

new topics