It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid may hit Earth in 2029

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yeah,
Here's an MSNBC article that covers the lowering of the threat level to zero:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"A diagram shows the encounter between Earth and the asteroid known as 2004 MN4 on April 13, 2029. The thick white line shows the error margin in the asteroid's anticipated path. The fact that the line does not touch Earth means there is no chance of a collision"

I have to wonder, though... if this thing really was going to hit, wouldn't they come out and tell the public that it wasn't inorder to head off a panic?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
These asteriod threat's aren't being taken seriously enough. Like the saying goes it's better to be safe than sorry. We waste money on war, which is always preventable but things like this are more dangerous than they seem.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It won't hit, but it will come pretty damn close: neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

E_T

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
"A diagram shows the encounter between Earth and the asteroid known as 2004 MN4 on April 13, 2029...

I have to wonder, though... if this thing really was going to hit, wouldn't they come out and tell the public that it wasn't inorder to head off a panic?
Why they wouldn't tell it?
Biggest problem in deflecting them is that it hasn't been studied enough and its funding is pretty much near zero.
In this case there would be plenty of time to study countermeasures and telling data to public would make sure that politicians would have to use people's tax-moneys to that instead of wars to keep big corporations/military industry happy.

Remember how fast moonflight program proceeded while it had funding and support of people.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
right on E_T.

Also we have to to into account the ones that are inbound but haven't yet detected. It is a very scary scenario, that one could be inbound that is moving so fast that even best efforts would have very little if any bearing on impact.

It is a reality and lets hope we don't learn the hard way.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I was actually watching a show about metors impacting the earth and i remember one scientist saying that if there was going to be a collision that they wouldnt tell anyone to stop any mass panics by the public and a complete break down of order and all that.

If you think about it if you do tell the public that they are going to die in a few years what do you think they would do.. keep workin and live a normal life or say screw that and just get a bunch of credit cards and live life to the fullest..

I know what i would do

SMR

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
On Friday the 13th huh,,,,maybe it's just UBER JASON?

If they have this long to prepare ( if it really is going to hit ) I think if they take it as a real threat,they have plenty of time to create something that may either destroy it or send it off course,no?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This asteroid is suppose to make its close approach on my 46th birthday, definatly a little something to keep me motivated to make it till then.

Thats true that they would not tell us about an incoming asteroid until the last minute, day, or hopefully week. If we do have one set to hit us in my lifetime I sure hope I know before the masses do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join