It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid may hit Earth in 2029

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well... this must be 'asteroid week'...

There's a chance that a relatively large asteroid may hit the Earth in 2029.... a small chance:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Coming atop a week where a previously undetected nearly grazed us... it seems reasonable that we should have an anti-asteroid defense even IF there's only a small chance a big one will hit us.

[edit on 24-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
check this out: www.abovetopsecret.com...

from serious part: I think we first have to survive 2012...

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I thought it was supposed to hit in 2012

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
As the man said in the article, �This is not a problem for anyone and it shouldn�t be a concern to anyone, but whenever we post one of these things and ... somebody gets ahold of it, it just gets crazy.�

Don't worry about it. There have only been LIMITED amounts of observations, which means that its orbit may not be entirely known just yet. So really, don't worry until the odds change to iot being 300 to 1 for HITTING us.

As for 2012, that's been really disproved here on ATS. Toutouis is the asteroid that is supposedly going to hit the Earth in September that year, but it's passing about 4 times farther away than the Moon is from Earth. So really, it's no real threat there either.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yeah but would we know if it was goin to collied with us i mean a virus that could f wiped out a alrge amount of the earth passed right through between the moon and earth and not one person noticed untill it was on it's way away from us, imagine if that had of hit we wouldnt of known untilla big fireballed screamed through the sky

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
yuanshao101, things like that happen all the time, actually. And by "virus," I think you mean "asteroid."

One interesting thing about this asteroid though is that it's the first to be ranked higher than a One on the Torino Impact Scale. It's ranked a Two.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well this is quite interesting. When I heard about this on the news I heard it was a Two on the Impact Scale, but I guess it's actually a Four. Sorry for the misinformation in my previous post. Anyway, I know for a fact it's in a few other threads that are active in this forum currently, but here's the impact scale just for kicks.

Events having no likely consequences
0. The likelihood of a collision is zero, or well below the chance that a random object of the same size will strike the Earth within the next few decades. This designation also applies to any small object that, in the event of a collision, is unlikely to reach the Earth's surface intact.

Events meriting careful monitoring
1. The chance of collision is extremely unlikely, about the same as a random object of the same size striking the Earth within the next few decades.

[b[Events meriting concern
2. A somewhat close, but not unusual encounter. Collision is very unlikely.

3. A close encounter, with 1% or greater chance of a collision capable of causing localized destruction.

4. A close encounter, with 1% or greater chance of a collision capable of causing regional devastation.

Threatening events
5. A close encounter, with a significant threat of a collision capable of causing regional devastation.

6. A close encounter, with a significant threat of a collision capable of causing a global catastrophe.

7. A close encounter, with an extremely significant threat of a collision capable of causing a global catastrophe.

Certain collisions
8. A collision capable of causing localized destruction. Such events occur somewhere on Earth between once per 50 years and once per 1000 years.

9. A collision capable of causing regional devastation. Such events occur between once per 1000 years and once per 100,000 years.

10. A collision capable of causing a global climatic catastrophe. Such events occur once per 100,000 years, or less often.

If you think about it though if it is going to hit it could possibly get bumped up to an Eight on the scale.

Xon

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Intill then I think we have found out a plan to destroy or change the orbbit to that asteroid. Maybe we have a plan redy today for that problem

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
cmdrkeenkid -

Great post with the information on the Torino Impact scale. I've heard of it but never seen it in full.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The astroid for 2029 was upgraded today Dec. 25 to a 4 on the Impact Scale. It's odds of impact have also been increased to 1-45. I believe it said this was the first time that after further investigation an astroids odds of impact have actually improved.

4. A close encounter, with 1% or greater chance of a collision capable of causing regional devastation.

From www.space.com

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
there is one on our path, due to collide in the next 5 years. Scientists have nicknamed it Wormwood*. Look for the false messiah to blast/deflect it, performing another false sign to the world.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Link for wormword? Sorry I just got in and really don't feel like researching. Who's this "false messiah" you speak of?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Geraldo rivera reporting in the Nebula Galaxy. Geraldo? Do you have any information on this tragic event that most likly not happen, and it a waste of a FOX NEWS ALERT?

Geraldo Rivera, reporting live, through camera phone at the Nebula Galaxy, we have a dangerous situation here. It appears an asteroid may hit us soon, and very soon. I talked to a scientist about this. Here's what he had to say:

GR: Good Evening
Scientist Phil : Hello good sir!
GR: Is it possible for an asteroid to hit our earth in the year 10,000,002,029 AD?
Scientist Phil : Not really
GR: But is it possible? This is a FOX NEWS ALERT you know (winks
Scientists Phil : I suppose so (accepts $20)

Now for all you martians out there here is what I made fun of

A. The Fox News Alert------It was jeered in TV guide (Cheers and Jeers) and they have a bad reputation of using to commonly.

B. Geraldo Rivera----Terrible Reporter

C. Fraduant Scientists that have no idea what they are talking about

D. The idea an asteroid will hit us in 2029--- While it is possible, (but highly unlikley) I frankly feel that these predictions have little worth our words and time.

The motion of an asteroid hitting earth in 2029 has been--- rejected by The Supreme Mystical Unicornial Court of Law and Justice.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knightmare
there is one on our path, due to collide in the next 5 years. Scientists have nicknamed it Wormwood*. Look for the false messiah to blast/deflect it, performing another false sign to the world.

So is that * at the end of Wormwood there as a disclaimer? It's been debunked several times here on ATS alone. It's funny though, because the usual date for this to happen is 2012, not 5 years from now. And the only big asteroid to pass by Earth in 2012 is Toutouis, which will be four times farther away from the Earth than the Moon.

Also, as mr_sheldon asked, could you please provide a link to this? I'd like one from an actual scientific website as well.

Originally posted by MysticalUnicorn
D. The idea an asteroid will hit us in 2029--- While it is possible, (but highly unlikley) I frankly feel that these predictions have little worth our words and time.

The reason this one is a bigger deal and I'm actually taking note of it is that this impact prediction is coming from NASA, and not some crackpot "scientist" with a website.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by Knightmare

So is that * at the end of Wormwood there as a disclaimer?...

...Also, as mr_sheldon asked, could you please provide a link to this? I'd like one from an actual scientific website as well....

I have a feeling that Knightmare was speaking in jest. Either that, or simply paraphrasing Revelation.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm more frightened at the fact that the number of people watching for these things to hit us, couldn't staff a small McDonalds....
That's not a lot of people folks...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The odds have quickly increased to 1 in 40 chance of impact. Yeah its still technically a longshot, but the biggest risk we have seen to date. It's up to 4 on the torino scale.

www.space.com...

Xon

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think that we have found a way to change the orbit to this metiors so they doent hit the earth. And the way is to use sail so the wind from the sun can change its orbits

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This space.com article has an update on the upgrade of the danger level:
www.space.com...

You know, when you first think about it, 1 in 40 seems like pretty good odds... However... how comfortable would you feel if someone told you that there was a 1 in 40 chance that the region you live in might be annihilated overnight?

I imagine that, eventually, the governments of the world will develop spacecraft similar to NASA's Deep Impact mission that can, on short notice, deliver nuclear-armed 'impactor' probes to most near earth objects.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
they just downgraded to zero based on earlier observations they found...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join