It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qatar to be stripped of 2022 World Cup, according to country's whistleblower

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Bear in mind the source is the UK DailyMail.

Qatar to be stripped of 2022 World Cup, according to country's whistleblower

Qatar are likely be stripped of the 2022 World Cup, according to a former senior figure in their bid team, who turned whistleblower to expose corruption.

Phaedra Almajid says the weight of evidence of wrongdoing from her and others will be so overwhelming that FIFA will be left with no option but to find another host.

Almajid has been under protective custody of the FBI and she fears her safety will be compromised further if the tournament is taken away from the tiny oil-rich state, who shocked the world by winning the right to stage the 2022 event in 2010.

While hoping justice is done, Almajid admits that the prospect ‘scares me a lot’ because some ‘extremists’ may feel she played a role in that happening.

She said: ‘There are people who are p***** off with me [for speaking out], and what really p***** them off is that I’m a female, Muslim whistleblower.’

Another consequence of recent events, Almajid believes, is that outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter may try to take 2022 from Qatar as part of a radical reform agenda designed to win him praise ‘and save his skin.’

Click link for remainder of article...

This is going to be interesting...

I am curious, if this is indeed true, if Russia will also be stripped. Of course we will need confirmation from FIFA on this information since its coming from just the whistleblower.

edit on 7-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Rightly so also.
Only a corrupt idiot would have dobe a workd cup there.
I do think the Russian one will go ahead...if not it is the end of fifa. .maybe a good thing in the long run.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Morocco should have had the 2010 World Cup, but it was awarded to South Africa after they paid a £10 Million bribe.

It does make you wonder exactly how much Russia and Qatar paid for the privilege of hosting the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

For the sakes of the athletes who are due to perform in 2022, I hope it is held elsewhere. With Russia due to hold it in 2018, there is only one country that can hold it at such short notice, and it will not be held there.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
It does make you wonder exactly how much Russia and Qatar paid for the privilege of hosting the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Yeah the Australian government wasted tax payers money on a bid that was never going to be successful. I think that only the most naive of sports fans believed that Qatar was awarded the World Cup on legitimate grounds. I hope Qatar is stripped of its hosting rights. Since New Zealand won't ever host the Fifa World Cup our Australian cousins doing so would be the next best thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Fifa's operations should fall under uefa control until the investigations have finished.
If Blatter wasn't up to his neck in it, he'd be away already. I suspect he's having an "fatal accident" soon or "heart related incident". (Russians, calling it right now)

On a different note, is there a Saudi prince looking for the top job at Fifa?

edit on 7-6-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

…what really p***** them off is that I’m a female, Muslim whistleblower.

Win, win. The World Cup windfalls to some other country and its the Muslims fault.

What Global Organization isn't guilty of corruption these days? The FBI swoops into FIFA and sets about arresting people for corruption, lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Yeah the Australian government wasted tax payers money on a bid that was never going to be successful. I think that only the most naive of sports fans believed that Qatar was awarded the World Cup on legitimate grounds. I hope Qatar is stripped of its hosting rights. Since New Zealand won't ever host the Fifa World Cup our Australian cousins doing so would be the next best thing.

Thanks but really? Soccer?
In Australia?
No thanks

Maybe we can share the Rugby World Cup next time or another cricket world cup but not soccer, who'd care, who'd come.

Give it to south America again, they like that sort of thing.

no great loss

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If true, then good. The amount of idiocy going in to creating the infrastructure to support the games in a place where game time temps will be well over 100 F boggles my mind.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

I am not a big fan of soccer either. I am more bothered by the principals involved then anything else. The Australian tax payer never got a refund for the money they spent on the failed bid. As a country Australia as way to many ethics ever to host the FIFA World Cup. I say bring on another Cricket World Cup.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Across the ditch lot of general sporting commentators made the same point when Qatar was awarded the hosting rights.

If Qatar loses hosting rights it will be because of the declining security situation in the Middle East region. FIFA hand may be forced by events out of its hands . The corrupt bidding process could start all over again.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
They should not be stripped. Qatar played the game and won. Everyone else was throwing money around under the table and Qatar threw more.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The FBI investigation into FIFA started with a US citizen taking bribes for FIFA.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
FIFA Compliance Head Says Russia, Qatar World Cups Could Be Taken Away

ZURICH — Russia and Qatar could be stripped of their World Cup hosting rights if evidence emerges of bribery in the bidding process, the independent chairman of FIFA's audit and compliance committee told a Swiss newspaper.

The FBI's investigation of bribery and corruption at FIFA includes scrutiny of how soccer's governing body awarded World Cup hosting rights to Russia and Qatar, a U.S. law enforcement official told Reuters this week.

Domenico Scala told SonntagsZeitung that the two countries could lose the hosting rights should evidence emerge of bribery in the bidding process.

"If evidence should emerge that the awards to Qatar and Russia only came about thanks to bought votes, then the awards could be invalidated," Scala said in an interview published on Sunday. "This evidence has not yet been brought forth."

Click link for remainder of article.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

This is going to be interesting...

I am curious, if this is indeed true, if Russia will also be stripped. Of course we will need confirmation from FIFA on this information since its coming from just the whistleblower.

I agree, this is far from over. IF Qatar (and maybe Russia as well?) is stripped of the World Cup, I don't see them taking it very well. I wonder, again, I say, IF one or both are stripped, what it would do to already deteriorating relations between the countries involved, especially Russia.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: C84K2

Well if bribes were paid in return for being able to host the World cup I guess one would have to ask - Is Qatar / Russia really going to try and defend criminal actions in order to keep the world cup on the world stage? Secondly those countries who did not get to host because they didn't bribe for votes will also become an issue.

This is going to be along the lines of damage control - IF the allegations are true. I think Russia will have the hardest time based on everything they are involved in right now. The last thing they need is another situation where their credibility / integrity takes another hit. Qatar has their issues with regards to working conditions and the allegations of slave labor conditions.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Well if bribes were paid in return for being able to host the World cup I guess one would have to ask - Is Qatar / Russia really going to try and defend criminal actions in order to keep the world cup on the world stage? Secondly those countries who did not get to host because they didn't bribe for votes will also become an issue.

Great point. This whole thing is a mess. Like a lot of stuff (dare I say most everything?) in the world today I guess.

This is going to be along the lines of damage control - IF the allegations are true. I think Russia will have the hardest time based on everything they are involved in right now. The last thing they need is another situation where their credibility / integrity takes another hit. Qatar has their issues with regards to working conditions and the allegations of slave labor conditions.

Yes, if they are true and taken away, relations have been deteriorating for some time, and it will just sink further. It kind of scares me to think of what the implications could potentially be, and like you said, adding this on top of everything else they are involved in, and how it could be handled. I would have never thought something like this would come out of FIFA, or any game. Even though for some time now its been speculated.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

To me this is more of an issue than military action. I say this because we know how politics works when it comes to military action. In this instance we now have sports, which throughout history has always been the arena where national politics tends to take a back seat. Almost to the extent of it being better to beat an enemy on the sports field than running up a body count on the battlefield.

Bragging rights if you will and we saw that throughout the cold war. When sports start getting dragged into this particular arena it could possibly have the effect of pissing off a lot of fans - both those fans who are members of the countries who get the major events and those people in countries who don't.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Solution: hold the World Cup twice a year. Then all of this wouldn't be a big deal. Amarite ?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Legman
Solution: hold the World Cup twice a year. Then all of this wouldn't be a big deal. Amarite ?

So are you suggesting your ok with countries bribing FIFA in order to get the votes to hold a major sports event?

If so what does that say about the country in question? Further what does it say about the people running FIFA?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Legman

So are you suggesting your ok with countries bribing FIFA in order to get the votes to hold a major sports event?

If so what does that say about the country in question? Further what does it say about the people running FIFA?

Are you saying Brazil didn't do this? Qatar and Russia played the game and won. They should get the cups. And in the meantime clean it up and make new moral rules for past 2022. Don't change the rules now and take away the cup because once again... Russia and Qatar played the rules and outbribed all the other countries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join