It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lovely! I Now Owe $63,000 Payable On June 15

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher
Dude, you say you didn't know you owed $63,000. Unless you only check you mail quarterly, you would have known something was up because you would have had enough correspondence from both insurance companies via the mail to start a bonfire that could be seen for miles. Not to mention e-mails and telephone calls. I say you. Either you or your mom, and if it was your mom she would have been on your butt following the first letter.

I suggest waiting on your insurance agents doorstep Monday morning at the butt-crack of dawn and get this "stuff" straightened out.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

They can cancel her insurance after the fact, but they can't backdate it to before the accident. Basic liability would cover the other car and a good amount of medical expenses if that person was injured. If they were injured, you would have had notice of that by now. You can't simply be billed. You need a lawyer.
edit on 7-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: hutch622

He got in an accident.

The insurance isn't covering it.

He didn't get the notice until recently and doesn't have that kind of cash.

You forgot a key line of his explanation:

He doesn't take responsibility and he cares little how his mother has been affected.

(I have a grown son like that.)

edit on 7-6-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Sorry for your troubles, it sounds like your moms insurance didn't cover other people driving her vehicle (but you should double check that and note that if you live in the same residence you most likely weren't covered). Don't take the attitude of "well let them try" because in most states now, you can go to jail if you can't pay.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: hutch622

He got in an accident.

The insurance isn't covering it.

He didn't get the notice until recently and doesn't have that kind of cash.

Pretty much it. Sorry for being obtuse.

How does a letter mailed May 15 reach me on 6/6? Seriously, they are giving me 9 days to come up with 63 grand? Even a month wouldn't have helped as I couldn't come up with 63,000 in a lifetime. Since State Farm decided not to do their part and then cancelled Mom who had nothing to do with it

Basic coverage. Didn't cover my vehicle but should have covered anything else. I'll be damned if I saw a injured person at the scene so why do I owe 63 grand for a 2002 Chevy?

Most likely they didn't mail it then but maybe they had to send you something by that date in order for their claim to be valid? Do you still have the envelope? If I'm right, you most likely can read the date it was actually sent. If it isn't clear on the envelope, take it to a post office and they might be able to tell you. Again, this all hinges on something that people don't hold onto. I hope it isn't too late and I hope I'm right.

A contractor once tried to place a lien against my house for work done. I was given a quote in the beginning and told them to let me know if it was going to go over the quote. The bill came to nearly double and I asked for line by line cost. They couldn't provide that and they denied giving me a quote. They tried to place the lien too late. I'm expecting a small claims court letter soon, but I held onto everything that showed anything, including envelopes.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Please take a deep breath and U2U me. I can help!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I'm basing this on your assertion that you didn't receive any prior notification any of this was happening. It looks like there must've been an arbitration outside company or court deciding that to them is a fair amount for you to keep from going to a real court and being sued for a larger amount.

The clue here is you didn't know about them deciding on this, had no communication about it. OK. Now. It may be an official looking demand for payment from a collection company to scare you.You should have been involved, participated or been connected somehow to this process. Was this demanded by your company, someone else's company, or a law firm?

Usually, you get some kind of forewarning . It sounds like a judgement against you has been determined you must pay.Get a lawyer or free legal advice. These "official" demands for payment come all the time to scare you and get you to pay.

Don't just rant here at ATS....get legal advice. Don't be fooled twice...that its real, and you and mom got nothing, so they can't get anything. They can. Garnish wages, tax it to the home, income taxes, property owed, car etc..and destroy yours and moms credit for the rest of both your lives...get help....Good luck....MS
edit on 7-6-2015 by mysterioustranger because: because of my phone...'nuff said

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

2 questions:

1. what state are you in? (Where accident occurred)

2. Who is the other party's insurance carrier?

Even rear ends aren't always 100% fault of the rear-ender. On occasions the other party's actions can be a contributing factor. The only true exception to this is if you backed into or rear ended an unoccupied legally parked vehicle.

so U2U me and let's see if I can help.

I am known to be a "cause eater".

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Only one thing to do OP!

Hit the slots!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I almost forgot a little extra information . I'm not sure about your state but in Kentucky if you have a discrepancy with an insurance company we can go to the Ombudsman board. If they're up to anything nefarious in Kentucky one mention of that organization usually makes them cave like a house of cards .

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I don't think I have seen so much common sense on an ats thread before. Nice replies.

edit on 7-6-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: Grammar fail

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
When Matthew Moriarty was joyriding in Ireland in a Mercedes, with romantic interest co-star Jennifer Grey, somehow the expensive sports car leapt into the oncoming lane, killing two native women.

Who's Matthew Moriarty? I believe you meant Matthew Broderick. And it was a BMW, not a Mercedes.

Source

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Best advice yet has been said more than once --lawyer up, zip it & ask the staff to remove this thread, at least for now. You need to have someone who knows what they're doing go to bat for you before you're royally effed for a long time, and having what you've said in thread thus far available to track down isn't bright.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax

When Matthew Moriarty was joyriding in Ireland in a Mercedes, with romantic interest co-star Jennifer Grey, somehow the expensive sports car leapt into the oncoming lane, killing two native women.

Who's Matthew Moriarty? I believe you meant Matthew Broderick. And it was a BMW, not a Mercedes.

Source

You are correct. I have no idea who Moriarty is.(eta: whistling in the dark here, but Moriarty might be a guy I saw in "Mulholland Falls" recently in the background. He's probably OK, I hope. I'll search it later, thx.).

I try to forget names as well as remember them. It was Broderick. I sorta don't like him so I forget the name often as I must (as an actor he had no business taking that car out for a drive etc... yet he became an idol for that role). Buttle/Tuttle what's the difference? He's a great natural player for a rat. Him, and Hoffman. Natural rat players. At least he didn't rat on himself in real life. I used to transpose Broderick's name with McCoughaney…'cuz of the natural hair thing, and his Oprah behavior. go figure.

Damn. I knew something was not right.

But I was pretty sure about the car being a Mercedes. Now I know it was a 316 BMW, and I'll never forget that, thanks. I am correct about the maiden name of Broderick's mother, however she was not a lawyer. I will guess that it was shortened from something a little more ethnic sounding, but I won't tell the brownshirts, 'cause there are none. Look what happened during peacetime, will ya? They are all wearing black these days, with no ideological framework whatsoever, except to kill anything they don't understand, and follow zionist whims for smash raids, civil seizures, liens, and censorship. I appreciate this, really. I apologize to everyone. Just had to use this example of what selective memory can do to a guy. Well, I'm off to re-learn about the whole ordeal.

One thing I can tell you: In collisions, one must never admit guilt, even if you know the truth. It is insurance 101. They will crucify you if you tell anyone that you were at fault, and drop you like a rock; it tells them that you are stupid. I'm not sure this is a good thing, but it is de facto.

# 459
edit on 7-6-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This story doesn't add up. I was in an accident a few months ago. It was 100% fault of the other driver. My vehicle was totaled. I ended up with minor injuries which still haven't healed. Even *if* my damages total more than the coverage of the other driver, there is something called "underinsured motorist" clause which should be on the OP's mom's policy. And if his mom's policy doesn't cover him as a driver, well...then there's the "uninsured motorist" clause. So either way, the other driver has been covered.

Is it the other driver's insurance company who is suing you? I don't see how you couldn't be notified prior to now. Clearly the police came to the scene. Did they not get your phone number? Phone number, address, and insurance information for both drivers is on my police report.

Lastly, unless the lawyer is getting paid a flat fee, most don't like to pursue people with no assets. It's a waste of their time & resources.

ETA - to get an idea on loss, look up the NADA value of the car you hit. You also may be dinged for loss of use. You said there were no injuries? Are you sure? Sometimes injuries can present themselves later. Your attorney will ask to see medical records for the injured party.
edit on 7-6-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Go to Avvo and post a question. Legal help for your state, can direct you to a cheap our pro bono lawyer. Laws and insurances vary from state to state, so finding something specific to you in a must.

It's helped me with consumer law, both as a consumer and a business, a few times. Great resource.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Without details, which I fully understand you not posting here, it's hard to say what is the best course of action. Contacting both insurance companies would be a good start, and record it, if you can. As long as you tell them you are, it is legal. Be sure to tell them. Speaker phone and an audio recorder would work.

The other question is, who sent the letter? Your insurance, the other party's insurance, or someone else? No specifics, of course, just the role of the letter senders. If it's a bill from someone, they can send it, but whether or not you are legally liable to pay it is another matter. You might be, but if so, there has to be some notification, and clearly, payment arrangements would be in order. Most of us don't have that kind of money lying around. They can cancel her policy, though, if she allowed someone to drive her vehicle, and that wasn't covered.

I am not clear on the insurance issue. Was this your mother's policy? If so, did it cover you driving? If your name isn't on it, that can depend on the policy. That could be part of the problem. The policy details need to be checked. Going in person might be better, if possible. The other person's policy would only come into play if you were not covered, and it's possible that they could come after you. Checking on the legality (or not) of that would be a good idea as well. That much, you could find out from a free first consultation with an attorney. Be prepared, though; it could end up with you having to pay, over time.

As a final note, and please don't take this the wrong way, remember that other people were involved. I had a very new driver rear end my car once, at a stoplight, well after we'd all stopped, because she chose to pull out of the left turn lane (where we were both waiting), and into the straight lane, which was moving. Her insurance was so new, she still had the paperwork from the office, instead of the card (they mailed those back then, no internet). My car was totaled, and I had real issues with my back and neck, that needed attention. I called her insurance company to report it, and ask the [what doctor they used, and what mechanics. All I wanted was repairs, or replacement cost, and the medical bills covered. I had no medical coverage. Her insurance guy refused to talk to me at all. Literally,, AT ALL. I had no company number other than his, and he refused to cooperate. By later that afternoon, I could barely move at all, and my mother was calling for me. He dodged the calls all day, and we ended up having to contact a lawyer, and file a lawsuit, to get anything done. The end result was, someone paid the medical bills, the car costs, and additional fees. The "additional" covered the lawyer and enough to actually, barely, replace the car. What they offered for that was $600. I kid you not. For a car in great shape. I was barely able to get another one, and I had to have it for work. Whether or not someone went after her for some of that cost, I don't know.

With the amount as high as it is, there has to be some sort of injury. Be sure that there are legitimate records for that. Your fault or not, there are scam artists around. I'd recommend helping your mom get some new coverage as well.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Source

It was neither a Mercedes nor a BMW. It was a 1961 Ferrari GT California Spyder, of which less than 100 were made.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spader

It was neither a Mercedes nor a BMW. It was a 1961 Ferrari GT California Spyder, of which less than 100 were made.

We were talking about Mathew Broderick the actor and his real-life August 5, 1987 car accident in Ireland. It appears you are talking about Ferris Bueller the character and the car that was in that movie.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spader

We were talking about Mathew Broderick the actor and his real-life August 5, 1987 car accident in Ireland. It appears you are talking about Ferris Bueller the character and the car that was in that movie.

I am SO SORRY! I feel like an idiot. I usually read every post very carefully. A thousand apologies. Nothing to see here..move along.

ETA-The car is still worth mentioning even though I screwed up. It was a replica in the movie but still a nice ride.
edit on 8-6-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join