It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under The Skin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Wow. First off, I have to comment on the negative reviews - did people just not get this movie? Was it not Avenger-like enough for them? This, imho, was a true piece of sci-fi that kept me riveted. When I saw the previews, the premise drew me in - I had not read the book, but the fact that Jonathan Glazer was involved (Sexy Beast is an *amazing* film) was a huge plus, and I think Scarlett Johansson gets a bad rap for her acting. Anyhow, a few points..

1) Johansson's acting - not once, ever, during the movie did I think of Black Widow or anything like that. She *was* that alien.

2) The music - it was perfect for the mood and atmosphere the film was trying to produce.

3) The sci-fi - the few scenes where it delved directly into the "alien" world were simply amazing, especially the underwater (or undergoo) scene with the 2 victims. Also, it was a very unique perspective on the whole "alien visiting earth" story line.

4) The pace - I could see how some would think it slow or dull. I found it intriguing and highly effective with understanding the premise and how this particular alien presence is manifesting itself into society.

In the end, I found this to be a very powerful film. The ending seemed appropriate, though I could see how some would find it disappointing.

So, what's the verdit ATS? Have you seen it? I would suspect that folks here would be more appreciative than the average joe...

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think for me, it was a little bit too "art house". Not saying it's a bad film or anything, just that I didn't particularly care for it. I have no issue with Scarletts acting, and no, I wasn't expecting an avengers rip off lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I had trouble understanding what was going on for about half the movie. I didn't know beforehand she was supposed to be an alien. It was just curious enough to keep me watching until the end.... though I think it really kinda dragged there for a while.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

No point of me watching it now

Cheers lol.
Oh jon snow dies!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Cheers lol.
Oh jon snow dies!

Not true. I knew prior to watching and thought it was fairly obvious within the first five minutes anyhow. I think that piece of knowledge helps your viewing experience, not hurts it. It's not a spoiler.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Cheers lol.
Oh jon snow dies!

It was mentioned in the OP.
I too, think it is better to know that beforehand.
Otherwise she's just some weird chick having a boring day.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

She better be hot If I'm gonna watch this!!.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
And, btw - this is pretty awesome...

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was excited for the movie initially, but then watching it, I was just so bored! it was so slow and barely any dialogue to keep my eyes from shutting. That's my problem with a lot of these artsy films, too much bloody silence.

Just how I viewed it though, I know it's rated highly, but not my cup a tea.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

That's cool and a perfectly valid. understandable and appreciated response. For me, the more I think about this film, the more it affects me - and to me, those are the best films.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It did drag on in parts, and seem really slow. But I agree that there was some thought provoking moments, mostly towards the end?
From what I could understand, she sort of started to discover an attachment to the "skin"/body, and it's identity.
What I found thought provoking about that is the idea that, perhaps all of us, as souls, or even "aliens" could start out manifesting in a body here for experience on earth, but develop such an attachment to the our body, we forget it.

Part of the reason she is so "boring" at first, is this detachment to "self" (as we are able to see- for us observers, that body is what she is). This changes gradually though....

new topics

top topics

join