It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the labor force participation rate go down when we are adding jobs every month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ok... I think the title is very direct so let me go ahead and throw some info at you and I'm going to pay attention to the thread and learn as much as I can.

Calendar GMT Reference Actual
2015-04-03 01:30 PM Mar 62.7%
2015-05-08 01:30 PM Apr 62.8%
2015-06-05 01:30 PM May 62.9%
2015-07-03 01:30 PM Jun
2015-08-07 01:30 PM Jul
2015-09-04 01:30 PM Aug

Source

As we can see labor force participation is gradually on the decline... however...

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 280,000 in May, and the unemployment rate was essentially unchanged at 5.5 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in professional and business services, leisure and hospitality, and health care. Mining employment continued to decline.

Source

As you can see from the source month after month of additional jobs allegedly added to the market yet labor force participation rate is continuously dropping.

How
edit on 6/6/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

1) Illegals employed are not counted in the labor participation rate.

2) H1-B visas are not counted in the labor participation rate.

Only U.S. citizens are counted in the U.S. labor participation rate. Both of the above are non-citizens.

Look up the figures for both of those above categories (esp. the H1-B visa employment) and you will see how much they went up - and that may account for the gap in the labor participation rate and number of jobs created.

I would look it up...but I have a job and don't really care since I can't do anything about it, but I have seen the figures recently and they are eye-opening.

edit on 6-6-2015 by lakesidepark because: yes, to clarify - lots of new jobs but Americans ain't getting them.....

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark

Just to be clear...

The jobs they are adding are not being filled by Americans

Any theories

(question botton doesnt work)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakesidepark

1) Illegals employed are not counted in the labor participation rate.

2) H1-B visas are not counted in the labor participation rate.

Only citizens are counted in the labor participation rate.

Jobs listed in US companies that hire employees at their overseas operations are probably not included either.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Perhaps the baby boomers retiring. 10,000 boomers turn 65 every day for the next 19 years.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Perhaps the baby boomers retiring. 10,000 boomers turn 65 every day for the next 19 years.

Yes, but they are too poor to retire. I'll be close soon but I won't be retiring, I'll die in the streets.
Then an H1-B will get my job (not an illegal its too skilled for them).

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

But theres more millenials than baby boomers and they are entering the workforce faster right

Oh i just realied to had to take that back because millenials are part of the Uber economy and the sharing economy not the actual economy

edit on 6/6/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I came across this Report earlier on zerohedge

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
I came across this Report earlier on zerohedge

Illegal recovery...

reading now thanks

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Because we add 100,000 people to our country every month. You conveniently left that out of your equation. Until that number comes down nothing else will improve much.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Most of the jobs created are in the minimum-wage service sector, and other professions like nail bars and hair salons. But more people are coming into the country than jobs created.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

from the article...

How does the BLS determine a foreign-born worker? This is its definition:

The foreign born are persons who reside in the United States but who were born outside the country or one of its outlying areas to parents who were not U.S. citizens. The foreign born include legally-admitted immigrants, refugees, temporary residents such as students and temporary workers, and undocumented immigrants. The survey data, however, do not separately identify the numbers of persons in these categories.

the data is from "surveys".

that shows a question that asks about possible "illegal immigrants" can safely be answered.

clever.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

What lakesidepark said plus more people are taking on two jobs in order to make ends meet. More part time jobs are being created than full time. Thus someone who is already participating in the job market who picks up a second part time job is not counted twice in labor force, but the new part time job is counted as created. Not only that but in many companies when you switch jobs internally it is counted as a "new hire" which is what is happening to me right now.
edit on 6-6-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

US government has been fudging the GDP inflation and jobs numbers ever since FED started a QE infinity program.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark

Most of the boomers I know 64+, have a lot of assets, inheritances, and social security. It is hard to find new things to spend money on. My husband and I spend a lot helping our kids who are 27 to 30 yrs old. All have jobs but struggle when illness or other unexpected happens. They can't save. Most boomers could buy property at young age. I don't see that happening with millenials.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Adding 300,000 jobs a month should generate a lot of revenue.
America will be fixed in no time.

new topics

top topics

join