It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does being new here preclude me from stating certain facts? Sorry, I had to edit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I hope not because I am going to go out on a tiny limb and share some observations I have learned in a very short time.

I read more than I post or reply. I will read an entire thread from start to finish. The very first day I started there was a thread started by someone that had to with decorum and bigotry and general rudeness of members.

I do not think everyone saw that because from what I have seen many threads have this undertone that just screams rudeness. I started a thread about an experience I had and I was not trying at all to be rude, but when I just went and looked at some of my replies I could see where they could be considered rude by others.

This is supposed to be a critical thinking event site I think. We want other people to share with us their opinions, right? I felt that maybe when I wrote what I did write that maybe I wasn't clear enough or I left myself open for direct correction statements that maybe I wasn't ready for.

Could it be that many people are just not equipped to handle constructive criticism? I know I am better able to then most, but even I found myself getting defensive when I really did not want to be.

When you read what other people write do you find yourself hearing their voice and interpreting their demeanor? Is it possible we read to much into what we see and use are own insecurities to respond? There does seem to be obvious sarcasm being used from I can tell so far and it does appear to be some obvious rudeness involved, along with some tongue in cheek bigotry, implied if just a bit.

There really is just a smörgåsbord of cultural identities here that can cloud the issues from what I see, along with a variety of age groups. We are dealing with much more than just writing a OP and replying to an OP. It almost feels like what I can only describe as a mouse in maze afraid of venturing down a dead end and getting trapped.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if I am going to write something, I have to be prepared for any and all type of responses and to not get defensive if I read something I do not like. I can only speak for myself, but it seems that this could help many of you to not get caught up in reacting to your own OP.

I do not have access to a computer all the time so sometimes it may take me awhile to respond, but I hope you all have a great weekend!
edit on 6-6-2015 by searcherfortruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2015 by searcherfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth
No, being new does not preclude you from starting a thread and sharing what you've learned.....but in the end: It depends on the sources you are offering. Some 'sources' are verboten. Others are scoffed at, or ridiculed. Others still are widely accepted.

I'd like to hear what you have to say, though.....

link   

How long of a short time must we wait ? Have at it mate , get er done

link   
State all the facts you wish. Just be prepared to produce evidence along with them, because people here don't generally accept statements that lack evidence, as facts.

The amount of time you've spent as a member shouldn't have anything to do with what you say.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Nobody (at least nobody worth paying attention to) is going to judge whatever information you present on the basis of how long you've been a member. Your information will be judged based on its' own worth.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
please don't offer your guests cake and then run away with it....a reply to: searcherfortruth

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think its more a general opinion based on a month or so in.
"back when I started ATS, it was all about truth, now its just a place for.." kinda thing...yeah, a month may be a bit premature for a overall critique, but a newbies opinion is also very valueable in regards to what holds interest.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The computer I am on is not one I am used to and I hit send before I was finished writing so I have been "editing"! Thank you.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

If you have something, post it. As long as it complies with the terms and conditions of the site, then you should be absolutely fine. If you have any detail specific queries regarding that, you might want to ask a moderator about it, just to be on the safe side. The terms and conditions being so easily read as they are, means that any issue which creates a possible grey area must be quite specific, and so the mods are the best bet for aid with that sort of thing.

Best of luck with it in any case!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The computer I am on is not one I am used to and I hit send before I was finished writing so I have been "editing"! Thank you.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I guess what I am trying to say, is if I am going to write something, I have to be prepared for any and all type of responses and to not get defensive if I read something I do not like.

You got that in less time than most.

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The biggest trap I found on here for new viewers. Is that they haven't learned which posters are held and perceived to be always right. And it is further complicated by their legions of yes-men that agree with everything they say and berate anyone who has a counter opinion to them .

Once you get piled on by multiple posters it's difficult to maintain your demeanor . The best bet is don't answer any of them and only correspond with who you were addressed .

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yea dont worry, tons threads on ats these days is based on shady information and if it dosent follow the majority you might get some flak, dont worry do its an opinion site, dont take anything personal.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hello, searcher, and welcome to ATS

If your thread has been researched, thought out and written offering your sources, then it doesn't make a diddly-squat how long you've been here.

Just be aware that the "Little Green Men Are In My Front Yard" type of threads aren't received very well here...LOL!

Don't get caught up in drama. Don't get caught up in the phobia about "untouchable" members and "their posse". It's just a myth. We're all held accountable here.

Enjoy yourself, my new friend!!

Jasmine

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth

I guess what I am trying to say, is if I am going to write something, I have to be prepared for any and all type of responses and to not get defensive if I read something I do not like.
I

Most often a pig answers with a grunt, that does not mean a pig is stupid, but since they grunt, that makes them economical with what they say...a bit like politicians. and like the rest of us they can do stupid things.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The site is about conspiracies but in practice, selective conspiracies.

Some members have an ATS 'following' of fans that agree to anything they say (either that of multiple accounts), some have an ATS 'following' of haters (me for example), as you can imagine and have no doubt seen, the 'fan followers of particular members/ mods' sometimes follow at the expense of reality and the haters methods of hate are twisting words and attempts at putting spin on comments made by those they hate. Real example: me: ''here is the factual research, link etc provided'' another member: ''you are so full of yourself you float'', ''it's always about you''.

Cultural differences are something it appears is something MSM and ATS are trying to eradicate by means of allowing only selective criticism. You might get attacked for saying Africa is a corrupt cesspit but not if you say America is a corrupt cesspit, except by the patriotic Americans.

That aside if you can think carefully about every word you say (because some haters will use any excuse for hate, especially if your agenda doesn't fit theirs), the site can be useful as it's advertised 'purpose', of discussing conspiracies etc.

Your avatar suggests you are a 'searcher for truth', often the truth is more than people can handle, especially those indoctrinated to PC and MSM as their new religion, and those that only believe in information that adheres to the religion or agenda they follow.

edit on 6-6-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join