It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Wisconsin Republicans' bill to eliminate day of rest from the work week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: beezzer
So the GOP is forcing people to work 19 hour days, 7 days a week, without breaks?

I'm sure there is verbiage in there that also allows employers to beat employees with heavy sticks and rocks.

Damn them, damn the GOP to HELL!

AAAAIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Beezer you make light of this but the reality is that it is ALWAYS the GOP that does things like this

Sure the dems are and do evil too but it’s all a matter of degrees

Your, and others, lack of the ability to understand this is problematic

You seem to be forgetting an important factor. The current state of division would not be possible if the two party system did not play their roles as polar opposites?

I mean, what's the point in doing the right thing and compromising for the good of the Republic, when you can destroy it by dividing the country?

How long does it take ANY political party to do the right thing? Hell, the only time they bring up issues important to the public is when it is coming up on an election!

Seems to be working though!
edit on 6-6-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
a reply to: jimmyx

Wait!

Isn't that legislation simply doing away with religious oppression?

After all a day of rest per week is a Biblical (OMG)
religious right/Christian/and worst of all Jewish
and (gasp, evil, tyrannical, oppressive)
religious law.

What the legislation is doing is simply removing religion
from the public arena,
isn't that what many of you on ATS want
and have been shouting to the rooftops should happen?
To get religion out of government
and all religious ideas out of being codified
by the government?

The way I see this, it is acquiescing to the liberal left
who wish to remove all semblance of religion
from public life and law.

That is what this legislation is doing,
removing religious law from the state law.

It should make the far left extremely happy
to see religion being removed from state law.

So celebrate! One more evil religious dictate removed
from government and from US law, hooray!

(this is sarcasm)
edit on 12Sat, 06 Jun 2015 12:13:17 -0500pm60606pmk066 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

What happens when working without days off becomes an expectation?

Everyone will be miserable and die young, which is what Republicans think should be the way of the world. I know very well, where I work is very republican and everyone is like that, making life hell for everyone else.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Maybe, but look on the bright side

you are no longer being oppressed by a religious law!

The only reason for the rule was because of the evil, oppressive, Torah and Bible,
now that oppression is out of the government.
I think you'd rejoice at one more right wing republican religious law is gone.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I work for a small mom and pop type restaurant. We were once part of a corporate brand, but left that to try this out.

In that time, just 6 months, my quality of life has dropped drastically because the owner just wants us working as much as possible. He dropped our pay, then offered to raise it under the condition I would be an on call guy on Sundays. "Only in a situation where so and so can't make it because they are on another call" Then I find out it's not like that, I am on call the whole day. I'm working 6 days a week for a measly $100 more. That is still $100 less than I was making before he cut my pay.

My only recourse is to find a new job.

Workers do hold the power. I will quit, this store will not have a person of quality to run it, and it will go under. Not to mention half the customers are converted from the corporate store we were before because of me. The owner doesn't understand that. He will in a month or so.

Workers have the power, we don't have to put up with this. I do until I find the new job, but not a second longer.

While loyal people like me do want to do all they can, go above and beyond, put in the extra time, employers must realize we still hold the power. I even attempted to offer a split with the owner. He takes one Sunday, I take the next. As a quality of life thing for me. He said fine, he'd just take all the Sundays and not pay me extra. That's when I made my decision to leave.

I realize the OP was a bit deceitful and, judging by the response, a lot of people are in a situation similar to mine, but we still hold the power. I'll work for one of the soulless corporations if that means I'll have a guaranteed day off with my wife.

After I nail the interview, I'll walk in, tell the owner here I'm out and that will be that. He will ask why and I'll tell him exactly the reason. Hopefully he will think twice before doing the same to the next person.

Sorry to go on a little rant here, this topic hits home with me. I believe in doing all you can for the company you work for, but the company MUST recognize that and compensate. They cant take advantage and if they do, then they forget that we hold the power. It's with a heavy heart that I know I will likely ruin this company by leaving, but I have no other choice.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have to agree, I'm not seeing the controversy here. I have people at my shop that work the same crazy hours that I do, sometimes months on end. I'm actually happy to see we wont be breaking the law anymore...

With that said, we already have mandatory overtime laws if we ever had to force somebody (which we never have), and as long as it complies with the "one in 7" law we would be legally able to enforce it. This changes that obviously but I don't think anything changes around the state because of this. People that want to work more are allowed to now, but I don't see this becoming a whip on the workers' backs.

I'm no fan of Walker, but this isn't some GOP plot to take advantage of workers. I have more employees on all levels that will be happy to see this change. And the ones who don't like it are the few who don't like the overtime anyways. Nothing changes.

a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Get real, like someone needs religion to realize a day off to recover physically and mentally is a good idea.

Every religious law other than the God specific ones that are all about worship, is founded in logic, reasoning and rationale, or is based on oppression and posturing oneselves over others.

Not all religious laws are created equally, I don't need to think stoning adulterers to death is good to also think turn the other cheek is good.

If a law is both a religious law, and also has a good basis in secular logic, and rationale and can be proven and defended as good using logic and reasoning, then that it also happens to be a religious law is irrelevant.

No one has issues with non oppressive religious laws that do not harm others. We do for those that exist for no reason other than "My god said so in this book written by men thousands of years ago"

If you believe a religious law is good, and it actually is, it can be defended without ever discussing the bible once. If you must fall back to the bible and my God said so, the law is probably a very bad, hateful, bigoted and prejudiced one.
edit on 6/6/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
With the state the economy is going, I find it absurd that workers either get too many or not enough hours.

Everytime I had my employers ask me to do overtime I asked if I was going to be payed overtime and most of the time they say no. That when I say that he should just get employees then, what's so complicated about that? There's thousand of people looking for jobs, why overwork the same ones already working?

Stupid society
edit on 6-6-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Sounds like you yourself have fallen for this propaganda piece.

Maybe you read it and misunderstood or are blinded by the propaganda.

Or perhaps you do understand and want to pose a different view that could be tainted.

And you can't even get Reagan's middle name right

Please show us all where the bill has what the OP and story are claiming.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I wonder if the "productivity" increases are due to more efficient work methods assisted by automation operated by people. Or includes professions.

Your link is only to the chart graph and doesn't show anything else.

Very misleading.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

The existing 24 hour day of rest laws don't specify any particular "Day".

The new bill doesn't either.

The opening article is pure and very weak propaganda.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

So the GOP is forcing people to work 19 hour days, 7 days a week, without breaks?

Don't see how.

People still have vacations,holidays, and pregnancy leaves, funeral leaves, and the list goes on.

Sigh.

I am chalking this up to the 'Church' of the Left, and mad at the 'Church' of the Right.

Let the people worship at the alter of demagoguery!.
edit on 6-6-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tebyen
Here is the actual text of bill.
What this does is allow an employee to work 7 days a week, if they so choose.

Glad you posted the actual text. So the opening post statement, - "Wisconsin Republicans' bill to eliminate day of rest from the work week", was based on a partisan BLOG and is dead wrong. Thanks for the correct information.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Maybe, but look on the bright side

you are no longer being oppressed by a religious law!

The only reason for the rule was because of the evil, oppressive, Torah and Bible,
now that oppression is out of the government.
I think you'd rejoice at one more right wing republican religious law is gone.

you keep saying it's religious law, it isn't, people have worked on Sunday ever since I have been alive. people that work 7 days a week, every week, with no days off, are called slaves. maybe if you would go back in the history of "labor", you will see the years of struggle by the common worker to get a day or two off, and to work a 8, or even a 10 or 12 hour day.
my own grandfather at 14 years old was driving a coal truck 12 hours a day, and he got that job because his boss felt sorry for him working in the black-lung coal mines of Pennsylvania at such a young age, so he was put on the coal trucks....to stay awake, my grandfather said that he would make a small cut with his pen knife in the palm of his hand, so when he gripped the steering wheel, he would feel the pain and it would keep him awake.......this and other examples of the horrendous working conditions of this country back then, is what finally brought about labor laws, and unions.....and don't think for a minute that the wealthy of today, are not hoping for, and working toward , those "GOOD OLD DAYS"

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

The "40 hour" work week ended during the Reagan era. The insurance industry rolled out a plan to side step the law requiring employers to provide health insurance for all full-time employees. The plan: reduce workers' hours while maintaining the facade of full-time employment: 9-5. Following the plan, employers began deducting time for lunch: half an hour or an hour, so although one may spend 8 hours on the job, he/she is only paid for 39 or 39.5 hours, which isn't 40 hours; thus, the employer is no longer responsible for providing insurance for those whose weekly work hours are less than 40. Slick maneuver, and it worked (still works).

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: msoverstood

Can you back all that up with some genuine facts?

Now is not the time for malarkey.

If you are speculating or suggesting a conspiracy, that's OK, but please declare and clarify if you can.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

If people want to earn a better living and work overtime.......It is an individuals right. Progressives love making rules and regulations to control the masses because to a progressive the common man is not smart enough to make his own decisions.

Working 7 days is a choice...........Are progressives against free choice?
edit on 6-6-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is the bit i love about ats and americans, both side use blogs to dirty the other side, then the cheerleaders come in and spout the fake outrage.
Oh and mr x calling this propaganda is priceless, with your daily fail threads.

Who needs workers rights anyways, we need that shiny new toy.
edit on 6-6-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

It's a choice? Tell that to my ex boss, he sure made it clear for everyone what that choice was, 7 days months on end, or there was the door. Some choice.

But hey, that's all cool, cause everyone can just choose to get a job somewhere else in this economy, they're a dime a dozen right?

So tell me, WHEN is it too much? When are we actually allowed to start considering these things a problem?

WHERE do you draw the line? At what point has the job situation actually gone too far? Is there even a limit to how far the job situation should be allowed to go when it comes to a lack of workers rights?

When a company is allowed to work you 7 days a week, many will irregardless of one's wellbeing.

Any laws involving 7 days work, should mandate that a seventh day is ALWAYS optional, and NEVER mandatory for the employee.

I have no problem with allowing for people to work all the hours they want, so long as it's their choice. There should be a limit where it comes to the employers choice in the matter.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: grandmakdw

Get real, like someone needs religion to realize a day off to recover physically and mentally is a good idea.

Every religious law other than the God specific ones that are all about worship, is founded in logic, reasoning and rationale, or is based on oppression and posturing oneselves over others.

Not all religious laws are created equally, I don't need to think stoning adulterers to death is good to also think turn the other cheek is good.

If a law is both a religious law, and also has a good basis in secular logic, and rationale and can be proven and defended as good using logic and reasoning, then that it also happens to be a religious law is irrelevant.

No one has issues with non oppressive religious laws that do not harm others. We do for those that exist for no reason other than "My god said so in this book written by men thousands of years ago"

If you believe a religious law is good, and it actually is, it can be defended without ever discussing the bible once. If you must fall back to the bible and my God said so, the law is probably a very bad, hateful, bigoted and prejudiced one.

Before the religious law, there was no day off. In ancient Greece/Rome, etc and before, there was no weekly day of rest. There were holidays that gave people the day off, lots of them in fact, but there was no conception of a weekly day of rest where the Torah was not present.

So it really did come directly from religion
Jewish law/and then the Christians took it up also.

So many people on ATS say that all religion should be banished
from the US, separation of church and state,
well since the law was never a humanitarian law enacted
by non-religious humanitarians,
it derives directly from religious law.

Those who want to delete religion from the US entirely
are hypocrites if they want to keep the good stuff (only the stuff they like and agree with)
and only get rid of what they consider the bad stuff (anything they don't like or agree with)

Either you remove and ban religion entirely from American society
as the far left frequently advocates, which means, if one is not
a hypocrite, banning all laws that originate solely from Biblical sources
or from any textual religious source.

OR you say live and let live, religious people are free to speak about
their religion and publicly display their religious symbols
without censor as long as they don't through their
actions (not words; actions) harm others.

Then and only then can the far left keep the good and throw
out the bad if they want to. But as long as the far left
advocates throwing religion out of all public society,
all speech and symbols must be eliminated, then they
must be willing to throw out the good with the bad
in order not to be hypocritical.

This law simply codifies what the far left advocates,
ridding from US law an idea that came solely from
a religious text that oppresses people and so must be
banned entirely from society because the source
has a solely religious source.

edit on 2Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:03:39 -0500pm60606pmk066 by grandmakdw because: tiny revision and format

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join