It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Republicans' bill to eliminate day of rest from the work week

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This makes me really angry. This supposedly voluntary bill would practically eliminate time off for workers, because as workers know, businesses work their employees as hard as they can legally get away with. This is supposed to be voluntary, but of course if people don't volunteer to give their life away they may find themselves out of a job. You would think the "party of god" wouldn't want to go against the almighty's commandment to rest on the sabbath. Republicans always ask for proof that their leaders want to destroy Americans' lives, well here it is.

www.cheatsheet.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

So they're going after the 40 hour work week now? Some members of the GOP have bugs where their heart should be. And my deepest apologies to the bugs, who would have none of it.
edit on 6-6-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What's a 40 hour work week? Every job I've ever had was part time or 40 hours plus mandatory overtime.

I've even had a job where I was expected to work 7 days a week months on end, with only time off for holidays.

What would this law actually do? From what I've seen, they already can work you all they want.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Can we get a copy of the actual bill?

You know, for comparison and verification.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So this blog you reference as a source uses an opinion piece as a source from The Nation.

Digging a bit further I have found that all this law actually does is remove the petition process that is current law.

It does not codify working people without a day off.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Here is the actual text of bill.

What this does is allow an employee to work 7 days a week, if they so choose. There's even a part where the employee as to submit in writing that they're willing to work that 7th day.

Many states already allow people to work 7 days a week if they so choose. It doesn't mean all businesses are going to require it. If you want proof of that, just look at all the states that already allow employees to work 7 days a week. Hell, where I work you can have all the overtime you want; you can work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. So far in the 9 months I've been there, only one person has taken up this offer.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I would think you would be happy that this religious holiday is being removed from the official books. This seems right up your alley on separation of church and state. I guess it only matters when it is convenient for you.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
the wages are so low that some people are part time jobs 7 days a week for more hours they did in their previous full time job for the less money than they did in that full time job.
and what the heck, when my sons were working in the convenience stores, they were sometimes scheduled for up to 12 days straight with no break.
sorry don't see where there is any changes, maybe wisconsin with just catching up with some of the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Well after taking 10 seconds to actually read the bill linked by another member, It looks like the OP article and comments are way off.

Nothing anywhere even refers to a week-end day or any kind of religious Sabbath day or God.

And it also seems to provide protection for existing union agreements !!!!

Looks to me like some people are stabbing at shadows with this ultra-Progressive propaganda.

This borders on dis-info and I would be interested to see the psychological effects on people who believe the OP story and comments.

The bill even mentions that some exceptions to the "24 hour rest once a week" already exist.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Obviously if you're working all 7 days of the week then you have no weekend.

And I mentioned the sabbath I didn't say anything about that being in the article. Learn to read, it may help.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Obviously if you're working all 7 days of the week then you have no weekend.

And I mentioned the sabbath I didn't say anything about that being in the article. Learn to read, it may help.

But of course you are highly suggestive.

And most people automatically associate "weekend" with Saturday and Sunday.

Not easy to deflect anymore is it.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
So the GOP is forcing people to work 19 hour days, 7 days a week, without breaks?

I'm sure there is verbiage in there that also allows employers to beat employees with heavy sticks and rocks.

Damn them, damn the GOP to HELL!

AAAAIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Catching up or catching down? Cause I thought there was a hard fight to protect workers from this crap once long ago.

Imagine my surprise when I found out 7 days for chump pay, months on end, completely mandatory was perfectly legal and allowed.

I ended up quitting when my body gave out on me and I was out of sick time, and can't help wondering, what the hell the big fight for workers rights was for.

It seems to me we have none already, and it's only getting worse.

So yeah, backtracking with the rest of us.
edit on 6/6/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
you know, I don't give a s**t about Wisconsin, the people there elected ole' Scottie Walker, and the right-wingers that sit in the state legislature...what?...do people actually think the republicans are going to HELP the working man?...geez, talk about the biggest bunch of SHEEPLE around....those that vote AGAINST their own self interest...morons

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Let us all pretend that is voluntary. I know people who will choose to work 21 days in a row. For many reasons, to impress the boss, keep their good standing with the boss, hoping another day will get them a little bit ahead. I know a guy who did that for 40 years. He became disabled at 55, my husband. That is cruel, inhumane and taking advantage of the poor. Who votes for these cold hearted representatives.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I work 12 hours a day for 14 day
Then I get 14 day off no big deal got to go where the job are

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
That’s the GOP obeying their masters like the Koch brothers who want us 24/7 slaves.

They don’t want people to have a day off.

This is the culmination of their plan they initiated in 1980 under Ronald Warren Reagan to eliminate unions, the progression to the 4 day work week and 30 hour work week in which the country was evolving to until Reagan got his orders to destroy progress in that area.

Now we as a country with NAFTA, GATT, and this new scam TPP

ARE DOOMED!

Indeed with a GOP congress and senate and a president this country will be destroyed after 2016

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So the GOP is forcing people to work 19 hour days, 7 days a week, without breaks?

I'm sure there is verbiage in there that also allows employers to beat employees with heavy sticks and rocks.

I knew you would eventually come to your senses! Hallelujah!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm torn. On the one hand, a person should have the ability to work as much as they want with certain exceptions for professions where doing so poses an unreasonable risk to other people (truck drivers, pilots, etc) but on the other hand, strong labor laws provide a necessary protection for workers against the sociopathy of employers.

What happens when working without days off becomes an expectation? When it becomes standard industry practice?

I'll tell you what, nothing good. Ten or twenty years down road people will be working more hours and be no better off economically. Consider the following (source) chart:

It's time that people wake up to the fact that the job situation isn't indicative of a temporary lull and that the gangs of neoliberals in power apparently have no idea what to do about it (or don't care) but they need to have something that sounds like a plan to keep getting elected and so they're continually proposing half-assed solutions that were outmoded 40 years ago.

The machine is broken and no amount of fiddling with the dials is going to fix it; it's time for a (well engineered) paradigm shift.
edit on 2015-6-6 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Beezer you make light of this but the reality is that it is ALWAYS the GOP that does things like this

Sure the dems are and do evil too but it’s all a matter of degrees

Your, and others, lack of the ability to understand this is problematic

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join